• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC Oct 5-8 2016

grodney

* Ace Member *
So no chatter on USDGC going back to One Division One Champion? No more Performance division. No more state rep spots (which were there before the Performance stuff started).

http://usdgc.com/?p=1765

Mods: Please lock/delete/ban as appropriate if this is a duplicate thread. Thanks!

So Paige takes the last Performance Flight title, and they discontinue it? Guess she'll just have to punish the boys in Open.

So Paige takes the last Performance Flight title, and they discontinue it? Guess she'll just have to punish the boys in Open.

That was 2014. Paige neither played for nor won the last performance flight title.

Perfomance scoring is a dumb concept IMO. it kinda sucks that ams can't play in that event now, but honestly we are past the point of needing am participation in the biggest events. I think it's for the best, even tho I was considering trying to qualify for performance flight this year

Performance scoring was a necessary evil. Innova was losing boatloads of cash in putting on the USDGC as it was. They needed an Am type division to bring in some money. Dunno how they're going to sustain it going back oldschool but, hooray!

I guess that makes my job easier as SC as I won't have various players trying to convince me why they should be the state rep to the USDGC.

Looks like Kansas City is taking over running the Performance event.

I'm really curious to see how that works out. Most of the appeal of the Performance Flight is centered around playing Winthrop at the USDGC. I wonder if the format itself will maintain any traction with the players now that it doesn't have the "test yourself against Winthrop Gold" selling point.

Yeah, the only reason I played/attempted to qualify for performance flight was to get back to playing Winthrop. I could care less about actual performance flight since I don't like handicap systems to begin with.

The Kansas City version is simply the Kansas City Wide Open Performance Flight. We are using the idea for the 2016 KCWO only at this point to see how it plays out. If it is successful then we will consider doing it again. The jury is out until we can look back and reflect.

The original idea was to not have an Amateur event at all this year. We were simply going to do the Pro side and then possibly do a KCWO Am event later in June. After a 15 hour ride home from SC to KC, Scott Reek and I decided to convince Jack Lowe (the 2016 KCWO TD) to let us do something new to possibly attract a gallery in lieu of an AM event. We just want to do something different. And this fits that bill perfectly.

I'm really curious to see how that works out. Most of the appeal of the Performance Flight is centered around playing Winthrop at the USDGC. I wonder if the format itself will maintain any traction with the players now that it doesn't have the "test yourself against Winthrop Gold" selling point.

Players, at least on a local level, have the same feeling about Swope Gold. It's a stretched out, roped up version of Swope. It's only set up once a year and KCWO is your only opportunity to play it. We actually break it down on Sunday after the event finishes. Also, having the opportunity to play along side some of the best players in the world is attractive to players as well as just a course. That... and I think we put on a pretty good show in KC.

Little disappointed that the performance flight is going away. Have dreamed of making it in. Guess I'll just have to tin cup it on Monday. :)