• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC on Discgolfplanet.tv

TDs are emulating these kinds of layouts locally, and requiring even the rec women to retee on island holes they can't possibly reach. Yes, it's stupid, but guess what? There are stupid people out there, and even smart people can do stupid things. Plus, it introduces the potential for TDs to discourage less skilled players from playing their tournaments, and I think it is inevitable that such layout features will be used in that manner, assuming it isn't happening already.
I remember you mentioning that before and I agree. TDs should be encouraging people to participate, but they also have to weigh making the course challenging enough as well.

But more than that, this kind of jacked up OB and mandatory retee introduces too much luck factor and forces a certain kind of playing style on everyone. If the course isn't difficult enough without this gimmicky nonsense, maybe it shouldn't host a major. Pros have been very vocal complaining about this kind of stuff, and I don't know why TDs don't listen.
Nikko and Doss were interviewed right after their rounds and seemed to like the course. Of course, they could also have just been giving stock answers for the camera.

It does seem there are a lot of rethrows being taken, so it does seem the course is designed for more "safe" play.

Nikko is 12 down..wow!

Jussi as well. Best previous finish by a European is 4th by Jussi (not sure what year).

Great coverage so far. Got to see one of my buddies in the Performance Flight park Hole 3 for a drop in deuce! :D

I thought the day one coverage was pretty darn good... I watched just about every minute of it.

Yea I am still kind of up in the air about the distance only penalty. Climo was being interviewed and basically blasted it.

The unfortunate thing about the "distance only" penalty being used here is they decided to use it everywhere keeping it simple for players. Ideally as a course designer, I would prefer that certain rules constructs only be used a little bit here and there and not everywhere for better balance on a course. It think Harold would also prefer to have a variety of penalty structures as it made sense for different holes if the Winthrop Gold course was permanent. But when you have a temp course without permanent signs and players from all over coming in to play it, you have to simplify things and some variety gets sacrificed in the process.