• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Open 2012!

Wasn't a payout of $10,000 announced for the women before the event? The posted payout amounts only add up to a little more than half of that.

That was based on an expected Open Women field of 30, and paying out 15.

Despite Steve practically begging and pleading them to come, only 12 women entered the event. :\

It was definitely very interesting watching the strategy play out on the final hole. Ricky sacrificed some distance to throw sidearm off the tee. Cale crushed a big that put him closest. So Ricky had to shoot first and was forced to make a decision. Lay up to the corner and give Cale the chance to hit the green to win, or go for it and force Cale to hit a shot.

Given where Cale was, he had an easier look at the green and in Ricky's mind, probably was more likely than not going to reach the green. So he chose to go for it and missed a little long.

Then Cale had the option to lay up and get up and down. But fearing that Ricky could hit the putt from the drop zone, he elected to go for it and erase any doubt. He clipped a tree on the way in but landed it within 10 feet of the pin.

A very exciting finish to another incredible weekend at Maple Hill (and Hyland for us Ams).

That was based on an expected Open Women field of 30, and paying out 15.

Despite Steve practically begging and pleading them to come, only 12 women entered the event. :\

Not really a conversation for here but... the women's division needs a change. That group of women at the top are too good. It is a loosing proposition for the lower level pro woman to travel and donate.

Not really a conversation for here but... the women's division needs a change. That group of women at the top are too good. It is a loosing proposition for the lower level pro woman to travel and donate.

Then you are going to create the same problem for the 910 girls in the top of the division.

The solution isn't more divisions, it's less! If you have less divisions, more people play a division and then more people get paid!

There were only a handful of guys in the Men's field that had a legitimate chance at winning too. But because the field is so deep, the payout is deep too. For many of the lower level players, the goal is simply to make the cut.

With a larger women's field, the payouts could go deeper and the lower level women would have a chance to cash.

The solution isn't more divisions, it's less! If you have less divisions, more people play a division and then more people get paid!

We struggle with that. A lot of folks won't play Open because guys come in from out of town and beat them but when they stopped signing up and started begging for other divisions the better players stopped coming in to try and win the larger pot. It's been a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario.

Then you are going to create the same problem for the 910 girls in the top of the division.

I wasn't being helpful by suggesting a solution, and I would never suggest more divisions. (the current splits bother me (for big events). YES! I won advanced, I'm the best of the guys who arn't that great!)

You hit it right with the rating though, my wife is 905 rated. She plays MA2 but from her time in am we probaly have enough plastic saved up that we could play for the rest of our lives without buying another disc.

We need another carrot.

I'd like to see cheaper entry fees at events. Make the pro and advanced entry fee the same amount. Pay out the field to the top 60%. Keep the top 25% a normal payout structure, with the last 35% being a more flat payout.

I think this would encourage more players to play because they may cash. I think it would also encourage more Advanced players to move up because it would be the same cost playing advanced or pro and they may feel that they can at least squeak into the last cash places.

If you feel you have no chance to at least get last cash, why would you play pro? And when the entry fees are sometimes as much as $50+ more to play pro, why would advanced players want to move up.

I'd like to see cheaper entry fees at events. Make the pro and advanced entry fee the same amount. Pay out the field to the top 60%. Keep the top 25% a normal payout structure, with the last 35% being a more flat payout.

I think this would encourage more players to play because they may cash. I think it would also encourage more Advanced players to move up because it would be the same cost playing advanced or pro and they may feel that they can at least squeak into the last cash places.

If you feel you have no chance to at least get last cash, why would you play pro? And when the entry fees are sometimes as much as $50+ more to play pro, why would advanced players want to move up.

I'd like to see a pro division seperate from the Open division. Pay them both cash but tax the pro division to pad the open payout. Winning plastic and t-shirts becomes silly after a while and I'd rather have a chance at winning some money. Tax the master too. Open is Open and when people slip and say open masters it makes me laugh

I'd play pro just to have the chance to learn how to play better. I don't care if it's donating my money because if I play advanced, I'm still just donating anyway.

I'd like to see a pro division seperate from the Open division. Pay them both cash but tax the pro division to pad the open payout.

In that case why not change the name of the Open division to Pro? If you want to step up and play with the professionals then have it and good luck making the cut and getting some money. If you want to compete in a sanctioned event but the money reward isn't enough of a draw to play up a division you may have to be happy with discs and merchandise you can sell.

I'd play pro just to have the chance to learn how to play better. I don't care if it's donating my money because if I play advanced, I'm still just donating anyway.

then after the first round you are on a card with the 3 other am guys who want to play with the pros

In that case why not change the name of the Open division to Pro? If you want to step up and play with the professionals then have it and good luck making the cut and getting some money. If you want to compete in a sanctioned event but the money reward isn't enough of a draw to play up a division you may have to be happy with discs and merchandise you can sell.

Depends on where you play but around here it is very dificult to cash in open. You have to shoot just about 1000 rated golf just to take that $20 last cash spot.

Depends on where you play but around here it is very dificult to cash in open. You have to shoot just about 1000 rated golf just to take that $20 last cash spot.

And that's probably how most competitive players think it should be. If you want to win cash you need to step your game up or be happy playing less competitively for prizes. That being said around here that mentality has hurt a lot of turnouts where we expected lots of folks and only got a few that were willing to play once everyone knew everyone was playing Open.

screw getting better, I've got a 9-5 job with my wife and kid at home. I want the game to get easier so I have a better chance of getting my money back and not a bunch more discs to add to the pile. And no, I'm not going to act like some scrub trying to hustle plastic.

Folks here want to slap our club president because he pushes weekly paid mini tournaments (that people have stopped going to) and harasses people about being man enough to go put money on the line. Everyone really just wants to play as groups and keep score but he's taken the fun out of it for a lot of members.

You hit it right with the rating though, my wife is 905 rated. She plays MA2 but from her time in am we probaly have enough plastic saved up that we could play for the rest of our lives without buying another disc.

We need another carrot.

your wife is rated higher than brittany blair who took home $400 last cash this weekend, theres her carrot...

your wife is rated higher than brittany blair who took home $400 last cash this weekend, theres her carrot...

she shot lights out.

I think if things had gone differently I like to think my wife and I could have done ok on tour.

just one season would have been fun.

she shot lights out.

I think if things had gone differently I like to think my wife and I could have done ok on tour.

just one season would have been fun.

really she shot "lights out" for 1 round, she only shot a a handful of throws higher than her rating the rest of the way, your wife would of had almost 2 throws per round on her right from the start :)

Latest posts