• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Viking

Oh man, I've fallen in love all over with the Viking. I haven't played as much in the past couple of months. When I started up again I wasn't hitting the same lines with my Viking. Now that I've been playing more consistently it is freaking amazing what the disc will do. So straight. So little fade. It just keeps moving forward.

I would like to try a Saint but I fear that I'll just be disappointed.

Hey don't tell everyone how awesome Vikings are for long dead straight drives ;)

Could not play a round in the woods without flat Champ Vikings. I carry 3 or 4 at all times form 7-9/10 condition. Kinda like a faster CA Teebird but a little less stable, TB speed 7 and Viking speed 9. When thrown flat they just keep going straight. If it's a tight fairway on a hole over 315 ft I pull out a Viking. They will turn predictably too. I can get great straight and S turn drives with the old flat Champ Vikings. I think of them as a higher speed control driver that'll go 400+ in the woods. When beat in 7/10 condition they do lose some stability and become great tailwind and turn over drivers.

I've seen the phrase "Pre-flight numbers Viking" a lot lately, especially in the marketplace. To be clear, I know what it means. My question is - have they ever even been run WITH flight numbers?

I've never seen one.

I know it's a special find for some discs (like the gummy blue/green pre-#'s Firebird I picked up a few weeks back), but I don't think it means anything on a Viking. The "cool oldschool" Vikings are the supa flat gummy ones.
[/I]?

I bag two Vikings with Flight Numbers and two Pre-Flight Numbers. The FN ones are sort of my main work horses. The PFN Vikings are used when I need a touch more fade at the end of flight or I'm throwing into light to moderate headwinds.

Oh, I also had two more PFN Vikings come in the mail yesterday. :D

Most of the time the pre flight number vikings are flatter and tend to be a little more stable and were made back in the bay when the chamo plastic was nice and solid. some of the flight numbers vikings have some dome and were made with runs of champ plastic that broke in a little quicker

Most of the time the pre flight number vikings are flatter and tend to be a little more stable and were made back in the bay when the chamo plastic was nice and solid. some of the flight numbers vikings have some dome and were made with runs of champ plastic that broke in a little quicker

Agreed. I have a Red PFN Viking that is nice and flat. Almost flies Wraith-like for me.

Vikings are def lost in the mix. I have 2 in my bag. One beat str8 and one for hook left shots where I need little skip 300 ish.

Weren't they originally supposed to b a less under stable of Valkyrie type disc back in the day? Would anyone describe them as a stable valk out of curiosity?

I used to throw the Viking alot, but I bumped it in favor of the Escape. The two discs are actually very similar.

I too throw an escape for the straight/tunnel shots. Champ viking never made it back into the bag (heck, still not broken in). It still gets thrown now and then, but just hasn't won me over.

For Vikings, there's old/flat/gummy/pearly ones, adn there's new domed ones. I have some of each, and AFAIK, I don't have any with #'s on the stamp. Since the flight numbers didn't go on the stamps when the runs started coming out differently, they don't mean anything.

I've seen the phrase "Pre-flight numbers Viking" a lot lately, especially in the marketplace. To be clear, I know what it means. My question is - have they ever even been run WITH flight numbers?

I've never seen one.

I know it's a special find for some discs (like the gummy blue/green pre-#'s Firebird I picked up a few weeks back), but I don't think it means anything on a Viking. The "cool oldschool" Vikings are the supa flat gummy ones.

As far as flights, I'm throwing my fresh-but-deflashed Viking on low-line lasers with light fade, flat release, 10' high and in the 330-340' range. With more power, you're better off with a Teebird for sure. It's not a slower disc, it's just not HSS like a TB - but really, what is?

I always think I sound too "disc geeky" on here, but then I stumble across posts like this one, and I'm pretty sure this hobby needs a translator. :clap:

For Vikings, there's old/flat/gummy/pearly ones, adn there's new domed ones. I have some of each, and AFAIK, I don't have any with #'s on the stamp. Since the flight numbers didn't go on the stamps when the runs started coming out differently, they don't mean anything.

My domey ones are stamped and my old/flat/gummy/pearly ones aren't.

They're like children, I love them both for their completely different personalities.

:D

I too throw an escape for the straight/tunnel shots. Champ viking never made it back into the bag (heck, still not broken in). It still gets thrown now and then, but just hasn't won me over.

The question is - What's the weight/color of the one you have and is it for sale?

:D

Anyone throwing the Viking into 2020? I'm needing that fit between my Valkyrie & Thunderbird. I liked the CD2 for a bit but don't want to go down that road. My first S-Line CD2 was exactly what I was looking for but the last two I bought fly exactly like Valkyries.

Are Champion Vikings consistently is but not quite as is as Thunderbirds?

Anyone throwing the Viking into 2020? I'm needing that fit between my Valkyrie & Thunderbird. I liked the CD2 for a bit but don't want to go down that road. My first S-Line CD2 was exactly what I was looking for but the last two I bought fly exactly like Valkyries.

Have you ever thrown a C-Line CD2? I've never thrown a brand new one that was as flippy as a Valk.

I never found Vikings to compliment anything. They are like a Mako, a stand alone.

They actually work nicely as a more overstable Valkyrie or Sidewinder, or a straighter "go-to" compliment for a Firebird. Sharing the Valk bottom helps them get along. I did it for a while before moving on to PDs, but miss the Viking flight sometimes.

I never found Vikings to compliment anything. They are like a Mako, a stand alone.

They actually work nicely as a more overstable Valkyrie or Sidewinder, or a straighter "go-to" compliment for a Firebird. Sharing the Valk bottom helps them get along. I did it for a while before moving on to PDs, but miss the Viking flight sometimes.

Agreed. Most people are on the ends, in either the Thunderbird/Firebird or Valkyrie/Sidewinder/Roadrunner camps, but the Viking can be a good 'tweener disc. Kind of like a Champ TL/TL3 or Pipeline between the Teebird/Eagle and Leopard/Leo3/River.

Dave Dunipace has wondered out loud in a video why the Viking is not more popular. Probably because of the limited plastics it comes in. But it's a good mold.

*Most* people build their slots around two discs, being a slightly OS and an US. Some magical discs only require the DX version for the US slot, like TeeBirds. The problem for the Viking is that it is not at all OS, it is neutral out of the box. So if you go Viking/Valk, you still need another disc to be more OS than the Viking, like a PD. Why not just use PDs and beat one into straight?

*Most* people build their slots around two discs, being a slightly OS and an US. Some magical discs only require the DX version for the US slot, like TeeBirds. The problem for the Viking is that it is not at all OS, it is neutral out of the box. So if you go Viking/Valk, you still need another disc to be more OS than the Viking, like a PD. Why not just use PDs and beat one into straight?

I love speed 9's. I'm absolutely sticking with Thunderbirds & Valkyrie s but would still like to find an in between. I had it with an os S-Line CD2 I had but I lost it & don't want to go chasing down the DiscMania wormhole.

I carry a max weight Viking for -1|2 flight paths and a lighter 168g one for more -2/-3|1 flight paths. I feel that this compliments my prodiscus titans (thunderbird replacement) just fine. The lightweight Viking all but replaces my sidewinder shots as well.