• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Viking

I can see a saint being like a Viking.

Viking is a great disc. Always have one in my bag now.

Saint is close. I have both in my bag.

The Saint may go a touch longer than the Viking, but the Viking is like an abused dog with a new family: It will do whatever you ask of it just to make you smile.

Oh man, I've fallen in love all over with the Viking. I haven't played as much in the past couple of months. When I started up again I wasn't hitting the same lines with my Viking. Now that I've been playing more consistently it is freaking amazing what the disc will do. So straight. So little fade. It just keeps moving forward.

I would like to try a Saint but I fear that I'll just be disappointed.

Oh man, I've fallen in love all over with the Viking. I haven't played as much in the past couple of months. When I started up again I wasn't hitting the same lines with my Viking. Now that I've been playing more consistently it is freaking amazing what the disc will do. So straight. So little fade. It just keeps moving forward.

I would like to try a Saint but I fear that I'll just be disappointed.

I hate to say it, but the Saint will probably disappoint. YMMV, though.

I threw both tonight (two drives per hole, when applicable), and by hole 8 on the course the Saint was put away in favor of the Viking.

All of the bolded above is sooo true.

DX Viking, great disc. Light s-turn and fade. Tagged a basket from 200ft and it turned into a flippy turn-n-burn.

Picked up a champ and it has yet to win me over. Basically flying like a slightly OS teebird, straight with fade in the end. Guess I just need to throw it until it breaks in. Slow process if I never throw it...

I haven't given up on the viking yet. When flying as advertised it is very nice.

Just wanted to lament the loss of my roller Viking. It didn't turnover/turn right in a tailwind roll, made it to a pond, floated out to the middle on its flight plate and then sank? I was walking around to the other side, where the wind was pusing it, and when I got there it was gone. ;_;

Hole 12 at Grand Woods, that was the only disc to ever get me a 2 on that hole. 380' rollers all day.

I was forehanding with my champ viking, very nice disc.
For those of you who have beaten your champ vikings to sh!t, do they become super flippy?
It seems to be a bit more OS than my 1x champ beast, but hard to say.
Not sure which of these I like better for FH, but they rock.

I threw a Viking that was super beat for a while and it was not flippy at all.. turned over a lot and was a lazer for hyzer-flips 330+ but still had some decent stability to it at a easy 6/10 condition. Even DX ones I threw back in the day didn't really get flippy until they were stupid beat in.

I threw a Viking that was super beat for a while and it was not flippy at all.. turned over a lot and was a lazer for hyzer-flips 330+ but still had some decent stability to it at a easy 6/10 condition. Even DX ones I threw back in the day didn't really get flippy until they were stupid beat in.

that's what I figured, anyone else?

It seems to be a beefy mold.

I used to throw the Viking alot, but I bumped it in favor of the Escape. The two discs are actually very similar.

its not beefy but its pretty HSS for its speed and given rating. It reminds me a lot of a slower teebird or my current volts with less fade and a bit more turn but that's b/c they are a slower disc. a beat champ is very similar to a beefy champ LEO imo.

its not beefy but its pretty HSS for its speed and given rating. It reminds me a lot of a slower teebird or my current volts with less fade and a bit more turn but that's b/c they are a slower disc. a beat champ is very similar to a beefy champ LEO imo.

isn't the viking much faster than the teebird??

isn't the viking much faster than the teebird??

well according to innova its a faster mold yes but you cant throw a Viking 400'+ with hardly no turn and still get some fade where a champ TB/volt you can yet still "9" speed discs very HSS. im not really talking what innova put on the disc but rather how it flies at a higher power level.

Really? I would think the Viking would go way farther with no turn/some fade than a tb, but hmm, interesting. Is the viking turning too much for you?

I don't throw them anymore. TB's are basically the standard for straight with late fade 400' discs. A beat champ Viking would go as far but need much more hyzer angle as it is less high speed stable and will turn-over more than a TB.

TB's are rated a 0 HSS turn meaning they are a very stable disc and also have +2 fade so the disc cuts a little bit left when it slows down yet it doesnt turn as much either as a Viking. Although Viking might be faster (subjectively) it also has more HSS turn -1 and the same fade so fresh the disc actually would finish straighter/right of a TB and as it beat-in the Viking would become a turn-over driver where TB would be straight.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
So you're saying powering down on a Viking should get similar flight results to maxing a Teebird?
since you said viking is like a slower teebird

When new they're like a lightly seasoned teebird, but they beat in to a hyzer flipper, then turn over/roller disc. Not terribly understable. Good straight glidey control driver, and I love it for FH line shaping.

So you're saying powering down on a Viking should get similar flight results to maxing a Teebird?
since you said viking is like a slower teebird

kinda, yes. You will get a similar flight from power down a Viking as throwing a teebird as it was designed to fly.

Vikings have turn where TB's do not so only way to keep the Viking from turning and still fading out would be to power it down or adding a extreme hyzer and slightly earlier relase vs flat released TB.

Well I'm throwing shorter shots with little effort, and the Viking flips much less than my CAL champ Teebird, at least for this distance (200-250ish ft approaches)
I guess it's the opposite when you pump both discs out farther.

Here is my newest addition to my collection, my pre flight numbers blue champion viking :D. I finally bought a champion one after cycling through two dx vikings, dx plastic and trees do not mix well ;/. I cannot wait to beat him in!

Attachments

• securedownload (4).jpg
    securedownload (4).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 34
I've seen the phrase "Pre-flight numbers Viking" a lot lately, especially in the marketplace. To be clear, I know what it means. My question is - have they ever even been run WITH flight numbers?

I've never seen one.

I know it's a special find for some discs (like the gummy blue/green pre-#'s Firebird I picked up a few weeks back), but I don't think it means anything on a Viking. The "cool oldschool" Vikings are the supa flat gummy ones.

As far as flights, I'm throwing my fresh-but-deflashed Viking on low-line lasers with light fade, flat release, 10' high and in the 330-340' range. With more power, you're better off with a Teebird for sure. It's not a slower disc, it's just not HSS like a TB - but really, what is?