• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Virginia is for Lovers of Long courses

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Eight 18 hole courses over 9500 feet (out of only 60 in the US). And most are very new...

Here's the list;
Arsenal-11,724-2018
Lake Marshall Lions-12,000-2017
Limestone Ledges-9837-2021
New London-11,581-2021
Pendleton-9588-2017
Raptor's Roost-11,833
Thornspring-12,234-2021
Waid Park-9700-2022

Last edited:
I'm hearing that the short tees have all been completed at New London. Maybe now I can final play that course with old killing this old body.

I'm not sure where the 9588 for Pendleton Fairways came from. Just one layout (7500) on that course unless they have changed something. Monster at Massanutten (Limestone Ledges) is a combo course over 2 shorter courses. Raptor's Roost Wing has 3 sets of tees and 2 pins per hole and can be played as short as roughly 5000 feet. Raptor's Roost Talon will be pushing the 9500 once we are completely done with it but the commonly played layout is around 7000.

Goliath will be big (course at McBeth's former/soon to be former house). The second course at Dark Hollow (the Conrad's place) will be pushing 10k with another 7k course on site. Waller Mill might be over 9500 in the longest layout but can be played as short as 6k or so.

Waller Mill in Williamsburg, L-L is 9295, so it's close to 9500 ft. Waller Mill L-L gets my vote for the most difficult layout per 1000 ft in Virginia. Other courses may have higher SSA but that is mainly due to length alone. Waid L-L in Ferrum is plenty tough, too, though, and it will also have a high SSA. Even Gold level players will earn their pars there.

WM is also my Top Favorite course in Virginia, and I'm not sure why it isn't more highly rated.

Waller Mill in Williamsburg, L-L is 9295, so it's close to 9500 ft. Waller Mill L-L gets my vote for the most difficult layout per 1000 ft in Virginia. Other courses may have higher SSA but that is mainly due to length alone. Waid L-L in Ferrum is plenty tough, too, though, and it will also have a high SSA. Even Gold level players will earn their pars there.

WM is also my Top Favorite course in Virginia, and I'm not sure why it isn't more highly rated.

I would guess Pohick Bay to be the most difficult per footage in Virginia. 3326 ft with most fairways 10-15 feet wide. If it were Waller's length I would shoot 100 plus pretty much every time out. I don't really find any of the individual shots at Waller to be that difficult- you just have to execute over and over and over. I agree that Waller is criminally underrated. Best fully wooded course in the state in my opinion.

I am working on one in Orange (likely to be called Mountain Track Rd DGC but not definite) that will challenge for the "most difficult per foot" title at least at the outset- I hope to never design a course in 100% regrowth pine ever again. It will open up some with time at least.

61 in the US at this point I think- we played Harmon Hills Gold in the event over the weekend. 12 of the pre-existing 36 holes and 6 holes that were basically 2 of the other holes combined. 10k plus.

I drove throw VA last year and ducked a few of those 9000+ ft courses listed. I'd much rather throw 2 short okayish 9 hole courses than a single bland overly long 18. Imagine how much extra walking you'll be doing for the course navigation is lacking. Been there done that, no thanks

I drove throw VA last year and ducked a few of those 9000+ ft courses listed. I'd much rather throw 2 short okayish 9 hole courses than a single bland overly long 18.
Waid Championship is a true Gold level wooded course. Long-Long is 9710 ft, but it is by no means bland. They already have some great features, especially the care taken to build up some of the tees and greens.

I would guess Pohick Bay to be the most difficult per footage in Virginia. 3326 ft with most fairways 10-15 feet wide. If it were Waller's length I would shoot 100 plus pretty much every time out.
The Ridge in Big Stone Gap is also quite challenging. I'm quite interested to see what the SSA/1000 ft will come out to be. There are tremendous elevation changes; as much as 100+ ft up and 100+ ft down. It's not a long course, but tough. It's also my new favorite course in far southwest Virginia!

9500 was just an arbitrary number. I'd be interested to hear what others consider to be a long course. A 500 feet/hole average gets you to 9000.

9500 was just an arbitrary number. I'd be interested to hear what others consider to be a long course. A 500 feet/hole average gets you to 9000.
I was also thinking that an average of 500 ft/hole is plenty long, so to me 9000 ft is a good baseline for long courses.

I love playing Waller Mill! It ranks #5 in the state on my list, but as a woods course longs 1st tee to 18th basket it ranks #1. I've now played about three dozen rounds there and can manage the course well enough, I just get killed on distance for the most part, and I've left three putters in the lake on those roller greens.

Why is Waller Mill underrated? It opened up as a short 9-holer, and since it was expanded, I think in 2017 every review has been 4.0, and a few 4.5's.

It would seem that the course could be a favorite of Paul McBeth? He has shown up for two tournaments there, the last one in 2020 as a same day entry surprising the field. He shot 5 under at Waller Mill with the other two rounds played at New Quarter. The scorecard has longs listed at 9770.

For anybody that has played Newport News Park, I think it's this Sunday the course will be closed for about a month there installing new baskets and replacing the concrete. The Gold tees are now posted correctly on DGCR, and a map on UDisc. Played them last week, had a good time.

Goliath will be big (course at McBeth's former/soon to be former house). The second course at Dark Hollow (the Conrad's place) will be pushing 10k with another 7k course on site. Waller Mill might be over 9500 in the longest layout but can be played as short as 6k or so.
Huh ? New owner a disc golfer or just likes the idea ?