• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

We course baggers would go to the ends of the earth…

sisyphus

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Folks talk about extremes all the time. They drink a brew and talk about superlatives so much that Guinness made a book (and more) about it. In disc golf, I've seen a longest hole thread, and discussion of the most 'extreme' courses. But where are the ends of the earth as far as disc golf courses go? Here's what I have so far. Please submit updates and corrections!

Southernmost course: easily Ross Island in Antarctica. End that discussion. But…

North: Though Victory Park course in the Yukon claims to be the northernmost on the continent, it isn't even so in its own town. And Timmianut Pikiuqarvik in Nunavut is definitely further north, but is there anything up there beyond the 69 degrees north of this course (I'm not going to butcher the spelling!) in Finland?

East: Well, you actually have to orient yourself for this one, and then go a little further, because the international date line runs down the middle of the Pacific Ocean. So I'm nominating Alfred Cox Park in New Zealand, at 178 degrees east.

West: Best I could find so far is Turtle Bay Resort in Hawaii at 158 degrees west (King Salmon Park in Alaska is only 156.6).

Top (highest altitude relative to sea level): Aspen Mountain in Colorado, at 11,212 feet, is a place where you ironically but legally can really get high and get high. Now, if someone can convince the folks on the International Space Station to take up some minis and tape some paper targets to the wall, they'll easily eclipse Aspen if they're willing to list the course. Averaging over 1,362,000 feet in elevation? Talk about Disc Golf In The News!

Bottom: While Crystal City underground course in Missouri gets a nod for being the only subterranean course in the world, the lowest relative to sea level might be this one in La Quinta, CA, as it appears to be on the plain just outside of Thermal, CA, which sits 138 feet below sea level. But if you know of someplace else where you can really get down, list it, please!

Excellent! That's what we need. Find those extremeties! And thank you both for early readership! (g'night: tourney in the a.m.!)

:p :D

There was a thread about most isolated. I think the one farthest from any other course is Incapuquio Golf Club in Toquepala, Peru.

I did some work out in King Salmon a few years ago, the course is really close to the airport. I stepped outside from the passenger terminal to get some air and BAM disc golf basket ! It was back in 2011 and I wasn't aware of dgcr, so imagine my surprise and/or disappointment of not having a disc in my luggage. That being said, the mosquitoes are godawful and it would have been impossible to focus. Even if it was a 5 disc course I would deduct 2 points due to bugs. The Alaskan bush is on a whole other level when it comes to mosquitoes.

I am excited. Going to Hawaii in December and will be playing the courses. Excited to play there but a bit worried about the wind. I always play wooded courses so the open shots in the wind mess with me a little bit.

Is that accurate?

I'm curious if Brian Head or Aspen is still the highest course on the planet?

I would have thought A-Basin, right on the continental divide, would have been the highest, but maybe not. Looks like the base area is at 10,780'. Are we talking highest point on the course?

4e5f0087.jpg

Are we talking highest point on the course?

4e5f0087.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. I know Aspen starts at its highest point when you step out from the gondola. Arapahoe looks like it ascends from the base so I wonder if it ascends the 600 feet or so it would need to surpass Aspen.

Looks like Brianhead's quoted 11,307 elevation is for the highest peak of the mountain, and i don't think the course plays up that high so Aspen probably is higher.

That's what I'm talking about. I know Aspen starts at its highest point when you step out from the gondola. Arapahoe looks like it ascends from the base so I wonder if it ascends the 600 feet or so it would need to surpass Aspen.

Looks like Brianhead's quoted 11,307 elevation is for the highest peak of the mountain, and i don't think the course plays up that high so Aspen probably is higher.

Hole 1 at Brian Head is close to the peak after you get off the lift. I played a solo round there back in 2012 and really enjoyed the experience.

742c8615.jpg

Latest posts