• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

We need more 'Nims' (extreme pitch n putt) type courses!

^Eager Beaver's a fun round - qute suitabl;e for beginners in that it's not imtimidating, but still requires you to shape shots and "learn the game."

I think Nims was a terrible example to start this thread ;) I'm all for easy beginner-level courses, but Nims is just 18 baskets scrammed into a small, relatively open park. It's not exciting AND a safety hazard. Take this picture as an example. How many baskets do you see? Which one do you throw to?

cdd84f91.jpg

Eager Beaver/Angry Beaver is a great combo. Eager Beaver may have short holes, but they still require line shaping skills and I can see the course still being really frustrating for true beginners in spots.

There are a pair of courses up here (Red Fox and Grey Fox) that have something similar but both courses several notches easier than the Beaver combo. Red Fox is a true beginner 9 that is mostly open and is laid out on a rolling hillside playing down into a valley. Most holes are reachable with a putter for those that know how to throw. Grey Fox is 18 holes on the other side of the park. The course is designed to loop around after each 9, so holes 1 and 10 tee off near the parking lot. The front 9 is still relatively open but requires you to hit lines, whereas the back 9 is a lot less forgiving, has a lot of wooded holes and requires better course management to shoot under par. So all in all, the park has 3 separate 9 hole loops. Red fox being for novice players, front 9 at Grey Fox suitable for recreational/intermediate players, and the back 9 that caters more towards the advanced/pro field.

There are a few holes on Red Fox that are grouped together pretty close similar to Nims Park, but they're already talking with the park district about redesigning that side to make it safer for play.

Grey Fox
Red Fox

Nims is in a category all unto itself; in terms of ease. From that perspective, couldn't have been a better choice for thread start. Red Fox is also simpler/easier than most of the others posted in this thread; but Nims is crazy easy. -17 here; and my playing partner as well; the one and only time played...

It's an "interesting" use of tiny park space....The one thing I would say is that it's perhaps a waste of basket funds that could be used for a "real course." I can tell you that if I lived nearby; my ace count would rival Cubby's!

I don't think a lot of the people posting "similar" courses have ever played Nims. It is beyond short, and beyond crowded (in the sense of a lot of holes in a small space). There is enough room in that park for a 4 hole course, but they somehow crammed in 18.

I don't belive designing courses exactly like Nims would be a good idea. While the short holes are appropriate length for small children, they are so close to together as to be dangerous. I know there is a sign saying no beveled edge discs, but most noobs only have one disc and its a high speed driver.

I think Nims would have been much beter as a still very short 9 holer. The other 9 baskets could have gone to Sinnisippi Park across the river. Maybe 2 baskets per hole on the front 9? They already have a ton of placements over there.

Sportsman Hill in Clearwater MN.......not Nim length, but great beginner course

having a short pitch and putt course is a great idea to have next to a longer more difficult course. Nims looks like a jump putt and putt course to me though (maybe a little to easy for the beginners), you don't want to shock them too much when they decide they are ready for the bigger courses

There are several here in the Southwest Florida area. There is Sun N Fun park in Sarasota...it's $7.50 to play but that gets you park admission to do all the other things in the park. A nine hole course in Venice that is 1300 feet. i take all beginners there. A course in Bradenton has holes 50 feet in length. I play the Venice course but not the others.

We have Tombigbee State Park in Tupelo, MS. The front course is very short and easy, although wooded, for any level player. However, on the back side of the park is a grueling par 60 course full of huge will and fairways so tight, a disc barely fits! It is a great park for all levels.

Some people like little short courses where every hole is an ace run. Good time when you lack skill or have a physical disadvantage. Not every one wants to play holes that are a 1000 feet. Get over it people. You were all a newb once...

I love these kinds of courses smart topic to make a thread on

White Birch is a champ level layout compared to Nims. You can easily die at White Birch. That is a chuckers paradise. :)

Dana - are you or is someone going to make a complete list of the Nim's?

I enjoy nims while I am traveling. Nice small courses are good to get out on and strech the legs. Also gives you some practice when your on your way to the Flip City and Idlewilds of the world

That kind of course is also awesome when you're on a roadtrip and have half an hour of light left, you can squeeze in one more course before the end of the day and it's a little easier on tired legs.