• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are some unique "nice little touches" to add to a course?

aardvarkious

Birdie Member
There are some standard nice little touches on many courses, such as garbage cans and benches. What are some of the unique little touches you have seen or can think of? Here are two I have seen:

Hooks to hang a bag on the tee sign.

On an open, long bomber hole, distance markers (kind of like at a driving range) to show how far you have thrown.

Great signs make all the difference on a course, I hate being lost or finding out I drove at the wrong basket.

Also Elevated tees can add a nice touch.
One of the holes I played had a tee box that was 10feet up or so. Had stairs and railings. Added a nice touch to what would have been a flat shot.

Barked paths from the previous basket to the next tee. As almost everyone walks this exact route, it helps with erosion/wear issues and has the added feature of directing you to the next tee.

Last edited:
I don't have a picture to post, but, at our CAC tournament this weekend as I began walking around Sam Nicholson's "Plantation at Winget" course, I noticed he had farmed a lot of Monkey Grass and had planted it on both sides of the tee pad, parallel to the tee pad and about 3 feet off to each side.

It looks GREAT!!!!!!

Seriously, though -- Flip City and Rollin Ridge (a new private course in NE WI) have HUGE trapezoidal concrete tees, but that's not the unique part -- they feature a follow-through concrete area level with the rest of the tee, which really helps with your footing on those monster drives where there's a lot of forward momentum. How many of us have stories of slipping on mud/loose woodchips/gravel right off the front of the tee on our follow-through? May not affect the shot much since it's post-release, but good chance for injury in those scenarios.

Example:
d0e1bd6b.jpg

One of the great ideas i took away from Flyboy -- Kelly has the PDGA rules for casual relief and OB printed/laminated and tacked into trees near common casual relief and OB areas.

Verdugo Hills has an industrial water dispenser at every other tee. Hell of a perk.

For holes around a baseball field, stairs going over the high fence so you have a way to retrieve discs that accidentally get thrown over. I noticed Winwood in Houston has this.

Here are a few things. I'll start with the less extravagant and work up:
-Signs pointing to next hole.
-Color coordinate multiple tee pads and stick coordinating colored electrical tape to basket wire. This is really only necessary if some holes have more tee pads than others.
-Wildflowers/vegetation, mulch around the tee pad area.
-Graveled or mulched paths that bridge the gap between basket and next tee pad. Works well with aforementioned signs.
-Bridges (small to large depending on necessity) that cross low areas, ditches, creeks, etc.

For me, the appearance and cleanliness of a course can be just as important as the layout and challenge. As much as disc golf pleases my competitive side, it also is a chance to relax and take in the sights and scenery.

Quakers Challenge has rocks painted white embedded in the fairway to denote 100' from the pin. I think this would be a great and inexpensive alternative to distance markers (different colors for different distances) and they would probably last longer.

The Blockhouse Darkside has some awesome covered seating available on almost every hole.

Planting Wildflowers (native) in any areas that will not be mowed. Any unique landscaping is cool.

Anything that shows that you went above and beyond the basics is always appreciated.

The Taylor Park Sand Slugs in Largo, FL have decked out their course with all sorts of little details. They have a broom for every teepad AND a foot brush to brush the bottoms of your shoes off on. They also have bag hangers at every hole along with nice benches and trash cans.

Also, on a blind basket, instead of yelling "CLEAR!!" when finishing out the hole, they have a bell hanging from a tree that you ring on your way to the next teepad letting the group behind you know that you are clear without yelling or leaving them guessing.

Put em high enough up where vandals will not mess with them, but where they will freak people out.

lens19169416_1330347413-a-a.jpg

Plant some devils club or devils walking stick. While it can be painful it is quite tasty and is good for adult onset diabetes.

Latest posts