• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What can you appeal?

cheesethin

Birdie Member
Can you appeal violations that require a call & a second - as opposed to violations that are a group majority decision? Eg Can you appeal a stance violation, or a courtesy violation? Or is it that once they are called, that's it, you're done?

Reading through 801.03 it says
801.03 Appeals

A. When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the ruling is based on the interpretation that is most beneficial to the thrower.

B. A player may appeal a group decision to an Official, or an Official's decision to the Director, by clearly and promptly stating that desire to the group. If an Official or the Director is readily available, the group may stand aside and allow other groups to play through while the appeal is being heard.

With the context of Clause A, the use of the phrase 'group decision' in Clause B seems to suggest that you can only appeal decisions made by the group as a whole. And therefore not decisions, which are just called & confirmed.

And a second question on this topic of group calls vs call&confirm violations. What differentiates the rules that require a group decision, from the rules that require a caller & a confirmation? Is there a philosophical(?), principled, or logical difference?

And how are they differentiated in the rule book? I could tell you which rules are which - but I couldn't pinpoint why or how I know that.:\

B. A player may appeal a group decision to an Official, or an Official's decision to the Director...

I take the bolded to mean that it is not only *group* decisions, but *any* decision that results in an outcome the player finds objectionable.

A "call and a second" are a group majority decision. The group is three or four in a tournament. Three are required so there is majority for decisions. ((Okay, there are some tournaments where there are five on a card - but that is rare)).

The player who has the possible infraction is not counted in the decision.

A player called on a decision can always take it up with an official. Just make it known at the time and if necessary play a provisional throw.

It is always a call and confirm....you make a throw, I say it is out-of-bounds...all I need is one to confirm it (second it). If our third player disagrees...it is still OB. You can say you disagree and are going to ask an official...if we can do it then - okay...if not, play one set of throws as though it is OB and one set as though it isn't. The final score on the hole would depend upon the official's ruling.

Now, if I call you OB, player 3 says it is inbounds or doesn't know, and player 4 says they don't know. -that means we cannot reach a majority and the decision becomes what is most beneficial to you.

The player who has the possible infraction is not counted in the decision.

Rules reference for this? I have never heard anyone suggest such before.

I do not believe the "call and second" to be the same as a "group decison" fwiw. Call and second only applies to things occurring during the act of throwing- stance and timing for the most part- and by definition must occur promptly. "Group decisions" in general apply to outcomes rather than the act of throwing. Did it miss the mando? Is it OB? and so on. (Disclaimer- this is off the top of my head so may not be fully true.)

I do not believe "call and second" infractions to be subject to appeal. I can't see the logistics by which it would be possible.

Last edited:
1-A "call and a second" are a group majority decision. The group is three or four in a tournament. Three are required so there is majority for decisions. ((Okay, there are some tournaments where there are five on a card - but that is rare)).

2-The player who has the possible infraction is not counted in the decision.

A player called on a decision can always take it up with an official. Just make it known at the time and if necessary play a provisional throw.

It is always a call and confirm....3-you make a throw, I say it is out-of-bounds...all I need is one to confirm it (second it). If our third player disagrees...it is still OB. You can say you disagree and are going to ask an official...if we can do it then - okay...if not, play one set of throws as though it is OB and one set as though it isn't. The final score on the hole would depend upon the official's ruling.

Now, 4-if I call you OB, player 3 says it is inbounds or doesn't know, and player 4 says they don't know. -that means we cannot reach a majority and the decision becomes what is most beneficial to you.

Uh, Bill, that is 180 degrees opposite from what the rules say (each thing in red), as I understand them and have for a few years. I am gonna ask Cgkdisc , JC and a couple others to double check me on these.

#1 -- a call and confirm is not a majority group decision, unless it is a three-person group. (See the next answer/response). A call and confirm (second) is only required for certain rules violations, not the majority of the group. (stance violations, courtesy violations, and excessive timing violations, Maybe something else -- only the ones that confer a stroke penalty)
#2 -- ALL PLAYERS have a "vote" in the decision specifically any judgement calls, like OB/IB, Missed/Made Mando, Hazard/inbounds, etc. This includes the player who may possibly be subject to the violation; they get one vote as well. Two players making a call one way doesn't automatically constitute the majority.
#3 -- On a four-player group, if I make a throw and you Bill rule it OB, and Player 3 also rules it OB, I dispute and say it is IB. I still have a chance. If Player 4 rules it definitively IB, the group is split evenly 2-2. THEN 801.03 A is applied and I, the thrower, gets the ruling most beneficial to me. That's how it works.

On the other hand if Player 4 says they can't tell or doesn't make a ruling at all (they shouldn't but I've seen it happen), THEN, Bill you have a 2-1 majority.

AND #4 -- I won't go into too much detail on your last one, but the players saying "they can't tell" are giving away their vote (like an abstention). If I say I can't tell, and you Bill rule it OB. Players 3 & 4 also say they can't tell, then we have a 1-0 majority decision. You win. Unlikely that would happen in reality but that's the rules as I understand them.

I think Bill is incorrect about that.

Can you appeal violations that require a call & a second - as opposed to violations that are a group majority decision? Eg Can you appeal a stance violation, or a courtesy violation? Or is it that once they are called, that's it, you're done?

Reading through 801.03 it says

With the context of Clause A, the use of the phrase 'group decision' in Clause B seems to suggest that you can only appeal decisions made by the group as a whole. And therefore not decisions, which are just called & confirmed.

And a second question on this topic of group calls vs call&confirm violations. What differentiates the rules that require a group decision, from the rules that require a caller & a confirmation? Is there a philosophical(?), principled, or logical difference?

And how are they differentiated in the rule book? I could tell you which rules are which - but I couldn't pinpoint why or how I know that.:\

I answered Bill above first to make this one easier. The "appeal" you speak of is the one where all four players have "voted" or chosen not to vote. But they are ones which require all the players in the group for the decision to be made, even if they do use a abstention.

Last edited:
#2 -- ALL PLAYERS have a "vote" in the decision specifically any judgement calls, like OB/IB, Missed/Made Mando, Hazard/inbounds, etc. This includes the player who may possibly be subject to the violation; they get one vote as well. Two players making a call one way doesn't automatically constitute the majority.

Please quote the rule on that...

B. A player may appeal a group decision to an Official, or an Official's decision to the Director...

I take the bolded to mean that it is not only *group* decisions, but *any* decision that results in an outcome the player finds objectionable.

An 'Official' in the rule book refers to an appointed Tournament Official - see 801.02.F. An appointed Tournament official does not need their calls confirmed - they have the authority to make decisions, or adjudicate appeals. The hierarchy is TD>Tournament Official>Players/Card.

(Note - To avoid potential confusion - A Certified Official is NOT the same as a Tournament Official)

So I don't think this necessarily expands the scope of what one can appeal to include any and all decisions including call & confirm ones - the bolded bit is just saying you can appeal a lower courts decision (Tournament Official) with the supreme court (TD).

An 'Official' in the rule book refers to an appointed Tournament Official - see 801.02.F. An appointed Tournament official does not need their calls confirmed - they have the authority to make decisions, or adjudicate appeals. The hierarchy is TD>Tournament Official>Players/Card.

(Note - To avoid potential confusion - A Certified Official is NOT the same as a Tournament Official)

So I don't think this necessarily expands the scope of what one can appeal to include any and all decisions including call & confirm ones - the bolded bit is just saying you can appeal a lower courts decision (Tournament Official) with the supreme court (TD).

You originally limited the scope to group decisions.

My post was simply to clarify that Officials' decisions may be appealed (in addition to group decisions). You seem to agree.

Please quote the rule on that...

Just to be clear on what you are questioning Mike - my understanding is that on decisions that are to be made by the group (as opposed to call & confirm decisions), the player under scrutiny is included, has a vote, in the decision.

Biscoe is right here...
Isn't the general tenet that if something is not proscribed it is permitted?
...and to expand on that, no where does it explicitly state in the rule book that an accused player has no vote (on group calls). And considering the wording of parts of 801.02, this would be required if it was the case.

801.02 Enforcement
A. Players are assigned to play holes together in a group for the purpose of verifying scores and ensuring play in accordance with the rules. Any determination made by the group as a whole is to be made by a majority of the group.

The accused exclusion would need to be made here, for the bolded bit to NOT include the accused.

Similarly...
801.02 Enforcement
C. A player in the group may call or confirm a rules violation on any player in the group by notifying all players in the group.
...while the language of this section seems to be aimed at call & confirm decisions, it clearly allows a player to call or confirm a violation against themselves.

If a player can make a call against themselves - the rules would need to specifically state if they were not allowed to have a vote and 'defend' themselves in a group decision.

And QA-APP-4 lends further weight to the accused having a vote. If the accused did NOT have a vote then the example in the Q&A would only hold true if there were 5 members of the card. Which would be an oddly specific scenario, considering the norm is 4 players to a card, and not detailed in the Q&A.

QA-APP-4: My group thinks my disc is OB, but I think it's unclear. Doesn't benefit of the doubt go to the player? I'm safe, right?

Benefit of the doubt only comes into play as a tiebreaker when the group cannot make a decision, for example if two players see the disc as safe and two see it as OB. If a majority of your group thinks it's OB, then it's OB.

...My post was simply to clarify that Officials' decisions may be appealed (in addition to group decisions). You seem to agree.

Yes I agree that an Official's decision can be appealed.

But your initial post said 'any decision' could be appealed - and that is what I was disagreeing with in my response.

I think we understand each other now(?) :D

My point is that there are very few cases where the rules state that a group is to make a decision. That is one of the reasons a number of the QA rules are being changed for 2021. They incorrectly brought in a group decision where the rules did not state that a group decision is required.

My point is that there are very few cases where the rules state that a group is to make a decision. That is one of the reasons a number of the QA rules are being changed for 2021. They incorrectly brought in a group decision where the rules did not state that a group decision is required.

Is the implication that, in regards to the OP question, the only decisions which can be appealed are those which the rule book specifically states are group decisions? i.e. anything that is simply called and seconded cannot be appealed?

Secondary question: What happens if I take a putt from a knee on the lie, inside the circle, and steady myself with my off hand, but not in front of my lie, and get called and seconded for a stance violation? Is there no recourse for a misapplication of the rules?

Is the implication that, in regards to the OP question, the only decisions which can be appealed are those which the rule book specifically states are group decisions? i.e. anything that is simply called and seconded cannot be appealed?

Secondary question: What happens if I take a putt from a knee on the lie, inside the circle, and steady myself with my off hand, but not in front of my lie, and get called and seconded for a stance violation? Is there no recourse for a misapplication of the rules?

I'm not sure where you came up with any of that from my reply.

801.02.A: Players are assigned to play holes together in a group for the purpose of verifying scores and ensuring play in accordance with the rules. Any determination made by the group as a whole is to be made by a majority of the group.
801.02.E: A call made by a player for a rules violation that results in one or more penalty throws can only be enforced if the call is confirmed by another player in the group or by a Tournament Official. A penalty throw is a throw added to a player's score for violating a rule, or for relocation of the lie as called for by a rule.

(A) and (E) seem to refer to different situations. Some sort of calls require a group vote; some other sort of calls require a call and a confirmation. This might be referred to as the difference between "passive" versus "active" penalties, or maybe "automatic" versus "judgment" penalties.

Rules that are violations (use the call and confirmation process):
802.03 Excessive Time: A player who takes excessive time receives a warning for the first violation.
802.06 Marking the Lie: Marking the lie in a manner other than described above is a marking violation.
802.07 Stance: A player who violates 802.07.A or 802.07.B has committed a stance violation and receives one penalty throw.
806.01 Putting Area: A player who fails to do so has committed a stance violation and receives one penalty throw.
812 Courtesy: A player receives a warning for the first violation of any courtesy rule.

Rules that are determinations (use the group vote method):
805.02 Disc Above Two Meters: If the thrower moves the disc before a determination has been made, the disc is considered to have come to rest above two meters.
806.02 Out-of-Bounds: If the thrower moves the disc before a determination regarding its out-of-bounds status has been made, the disc is considered to be out-of-bounds.
806.05 Hazard: If the thrower moves the disc before a determination whether it is in a hazard has been made, the disc is considered to be in the hazard.

Rules that are not specified:
803.01 Moving Obstacles: A player who moves any obstacle on the course other than as allowed above receives one penalty throw.
803.02 Relief from Obstacles: A player who takes relief other than as allowed above receives one penalty throw.
804.02 Prohibited Routes: A player who makes a throw that misses a mandatory receives one penalty throw.
809.03 Practice Throw: A player receives one penalty throw for making a practice throw.
813.01 Illegal Disc: A player who throws an illegal disc during play receives two penalty throws. ... A player receives a warning for the first throw of an unmarked disc. A player receives one penalty throw for each subsequent throw of an unmarked disc.
813.02 Illegal Device: A player receives two penalty throws if observed at any time during a round to be using an illegal device.

It would be interesting to hear from a PDGA Rules Committee person. The information I posted was based on experience and what I saw as a tournament volunteer. I could be completely wrong, but it's what I've seen and had explained to me in tournaments.

..;
But your initial post said 'any decision' could be appealed - and that is what I was disagreeing with in my response.

What decisions do you think cannot be appealed?

(I assume you'll accept that the word "decision" is being used within the context of rule application.)

It would be interesting to hear from a PDGA Rules Committee person. The information I posted was based on experience and what I saw as a tournament volunteer. I could be completely wrong, but it's what I've seen and had explained to me in tournaments.

Krupicka is chairman of the Rules Committee i believe.

I read your first comment, possibly mistakenly, as suggesting that an accused player does not get a vote in group decisions. But this is a side track....

....back to my original question. Can a call & confirm violation be appealed?

...But your initial post said 'any decision' could be appealed - and that is what I was disagreeing with in my response.
EDIT ...my original question was asking.

801.03.B refers to group decisions, and an officials decision. It does not say call & confirm decisions.

This is my question - can call & confirm decisions be appealed?

What decisions do you think cannot be appealed?

(I assume you'll accept that the word "decision" is being used within the context of rule application.)
(happy with the word 'decision')