• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you consider a pitch and putt course?

txmxer

* Ace Member *
When I think pitch and putt, I think of a course that you can get up and down relatively easily with 2 throws. Lines are generally clear/minimal obstruction. Hole lengths generally 100 to 200 feet.

What do others think of when you hear pitch and putt?

I consider these types of courses pitch and putts. There are a couple of holes here and there that let you push a little distance but generally I consider them pitch and putts because Nearly every hole gives you the opportunity for a relatively easy birdie and at the same time getting a bogey is all but impossible. Typically a pitch and putt can be played easily with putters or putters or mids. Two of the courses below do require a little skill to navigate and require different shots to score well but one of them if you have a righty backhand then you just need to throw your hyzer with the proper distance to get a putt.

ef796dd86f5d7b2eb27e9dc53218c453.jpg

51542223c351d74f2f2670a6db861fea.jpg

86c5f2ae68e91d2e29f35da862d6670d.jpg

The question came to me because of another post about pitch and putt courses as well as Brodie called the course in Lewisville that he played a tournament at last week a pitch and putt course.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8837&mode=hi

Per DGCR, 11 holes under 300', some under 200'. 6 between 300' and 400'. 1 par 4 at 523'. 5324' total.

I suppose it's a pitch and putt course if you throw 500'. Seems a little long for what I would consider a pitch and putt.

For ball golf, on a true pitch and putt course, you wouldn't carry your full bag. Just putter, wedge and maybe 9 iron.*

For disc golf, I use a putter as a putter, approach, and off the tee on short holes. I'd define a dg pitch and putt as a course where I could reach all the holes with a putter.

*I've never been much of a golfer and I'm not sure if this is just the way I played this type of course or if everyone does the same.

Last edited:
that's why I asked. For me, it is not the 1 x 500' hole, it's that a third of the holes are over 300' that makes this a stretch to be called a pitch and putt course.

JMO.

I'd agree that a true pitch and putt probably shouldn't have many holes in the 300+' range.

This one that I posted earlier is really an ideal pitch and putt. Its Johnny Roberts in Arvada, Colorado.

4294cdd08ec0a66cde6fbad7b772cf71.jpg

I don't play it much because it's usually beyond crowded with people flinging Destroyers everywhere but I've enjoyed playing single disc, putter only rounds there on occasion and usually shoot double digits under par. (I think I went -16 once with a P2 but don't quote me on that.)

The question came to me because of another post about pitch and putt courses as well as Brodie called the course in Lewisville that he played a tournament at last week a pitch and putt course.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8837&mode=hi

Per DGCR, 11 holes under 300', some under 200'. 6 between 300' and 400'. 1 par 4 at 523'. 5324' total.

I suppose it's a pitch and putt course if you throw 500'. Seems a little long for what I would consider a pitch and putt.
Brodie can bomb. Most players can't. Hence his idea pitch n putt is different from most players.

I don't think one 500 ft hole by itself would keep me from calling it pitch n putt if all the other holes were under 250-300 ft (i.e. pretty reachable by most players).

But I wouldn't describe a course with seven holes over 300 ft as pitch n putt.

I wouldn't consider that course Brodie played, Tom McCutcheon, as a pitch and putt at all. There are several holes were it's appropriate to throw a driver off the tee - something I'd never associate with a pitch and putt. Several of those shorter holes on Tom McCutcheon are tricky due to woods or elevation so the listed distance is a bit deceiving.

A true pitch and putt should be really short with no holes requiring a driver - just mids and putters - and all the holes easily makeable with two good throws. In my mind the term also generally implies the course lacks enough obstacles or features to present much of a challenge.

"Pitch and Putt", just like "Par", depends on the intended player. That's why I keep lobbying for the accurate use of "Par Two", rather than calling a hole a "must get". If a 970 rated player played the hole, and knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he might drop out of cash if he took a three, then that's a par two for the 'Gold" level player. That might differ at each skill level. It's why I sometimes list different color "tees" for my local, single tee courses here, and tweak the par 'correctly' for that skill level.

For touring pros, any open (no significant obstacles) hole w/ no serious OB under, say, 400' (counting in relative elevation)... is a pitch and putt hole. For an 850 to 935 rated player, that might drop to 200' to 250' max.

If the average hole length is over 295' (Tom McCutcheon DGC) I don't think it should be called a "pitch & putt" course even by a player who can throw 500 feet.
Likewise, that same course shouldn't be called a "bomber course" by a player who can only throw 230'.
Brodie Smith and the player who maxes out at 230' are the 5%ers whereas the general disc golf community (95%) define what a pitch and putt or bomber course is.

Personally, I would define a "pitch & putt" as a course with holes averaging around 200' or less. If holes are averaging 400' I would define that as a "bomber" course. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

Any course where I pull into the parking lot, grab two putters, and leave the bag behind.

Another way I might view it is—if I'm making an ace run on every hole, then that's my "pitch".

Hopefully, what's left is an easy putt.

Every hole ends with a "pitch and a putt." It's simply a matter of how many throws are needed to set it up on each hole if it's not already set up from the tee itself.

I would consider my home course a pitch and putt, mostly based off the "feel" (i.e. we have a longer hole that you're not throwing putter on, a few other medium holes with very distinct lines to hit if you want to get a 2, etc, but mostly it's beginner friendly and putter friendly)

15 holes. 10 of those holes under 300. 1 hole between 300-400. 4 holes between 400-500.

Even if the longer holes were 600 feet or more...the fact that 10 of them (2/3) are pretty standard pitch and putt type holes is enough to make me consider it a pitch and putt course.

I agree that in general, the term "pitch and putt" would be referring to putter courses with sub 250 holes, but I am probably guilty of using it whenever referring to a course where I expect to be putting for birdie on every hole.

So even if there are holes >350 foot, if I can pop a hyzer out to the right and play lawn darts on most of the holes, I would consider that to be a type of "pitch and putt". Perhaps "deuce or die" would be more accurate way to describe a course like that though.

Length alone does not define pitch and putt. Not all short courses are pitch and putts. Some are just boring. Some are designed to replicate the full disc golf experience in miniature for those who can't throw as far. Including some par 4s and 5s.

A true pitch and putt would be a course where the tees are set so they simulate lots of different situations you might find after a drive. (The final two throws Chuck talked about.) As such, all the pars should be 2.

However, the term "pitch and putt" is most commonly used for the aggrandizement of the person commenting on the course, as in: "I want everyone to think I am too good for this course, therefore, I will insult it by calling it a mere pitch and putt". Much the same way "good for beginners" is often misused.

Latest posts