• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do with your overweight discs?

oldmandiscer

Banned
I got a couple Teal Vinny Destroyers from the proshop and they are both 178 grams on the scale. I asked them if I could return them for legal ones, they said yes, now are ghosting me for the last 3 days. So IDK what they are doing. I can't use these things.

I'll just chuck them in the trash probably, unless they get back to me.

So what do you do with your overweight discs?

Until there's any measure of enforcement at all - I'm not going to bother buying a scale and weighing them. I have absolutely no idea if any of my max weight discs have ever been overweight. It isn't an issue worth concerning myself with.

Until there's any measure of enforcement at all - I'm not going to bother buying a scale and weighing them. I have absolutely no idea if any of my max weight discs have ever been overweight. It isn't an issue worth concerning myself with.

True there isn't, but since I do have a scale, (I think it was 10-15 bucks or so but seems accurate over the hundreds I've weighed) I do end up weighing most of my discs just out of curiosity, and the occasional max weight one will be illegal. Most are under though, probably 90%.

I wouldn't do anything if it was close, but 3 grams is too much to say my scale is off.

So you don't play by PDGA rules/Leagues/Tourneys?

I have never had a disc weighed during competition nor asked to have a disc weighed during competition. To my knowledge, there is no universally calibrated scale available for TDs to use to weigh discs should someone complain. Further more, I don't weigh my discs, so if it says 175, that's good enough for me.

First, I convince them that they're no good until they agree that they've done me wrong. Then, I take them to the woods and make them move as fast as they can through the trees.

Then once they're at just the right weight, they figure out that I'm no good for them and lose me in the forest, never to be seen again.

If it's penned legal I just throw it. I don't have a scale and have never seen anyone check.

I wouldn't try and play with a disc I knew was illegal, but you probably won't get called out for it. Never seen a TD with a scale.

I have never had a disc weighed during competition nor asked to have a disc weighed during competition. To my knowledge, there is no universally calibrated scale available for TDs to use to weigh discs should someone complain. Further more, I don't weigh my discs, so if it says 175, that's good enough for me.
Yeah, this argument is old but we lather, rinse and repeat from time to time.

I mean I guess if somebody is OCD about following rules, never goes over the speed limit and throws out food if it goes past the expiration date it would track that they are weighing their own discs and freaking out over a few grams.

Nowhere in the rules does it say I have to weigh my own discs and verify the weight written on them, so I don't. If the disc says 175g and it's really 178g, I'd never know. It says 175g and that's good enough for me.

They are not weighing discs before DGPT events. Discs are not being checked at any events. It's not a problem anywhere IRL that anyone is worried about. I don't know why it comes up here as often as it does, but here we are.

tl;dr: Just throw them, nobody cares.

I just hope that OMD is measuring diameter and re-weighing discs to ensure they are legal as the rim wears down. Get the PDGA approved calipers ready.

Yeah, this argument is old but we lather, rinse and repeat from time to time.

I mean I guess if somebody is OCD about following rules, never goes over the speed limit and throws out food if it goes past the expiration date it would track that they are weighing their own discs and freaking out over a few grams.

Nowhere in the rules does it say I have to weigh my own discs and verify the weight written on them, so I don't. If the disc says 175g and it's really 178g, I'd never know. It says 175g and that's good enough for me.

They are not weighing discs before DGPT events. Discs are not being checked at any events. It's not a problem anywhere IRL that anyone is worried about. I don't know why it comes up here as often as it does, but here we are.

tl;dr: Just throw them, nobody cares.

If it was 1 gram I could call it potential scale error. But 3 grams is a lot. Not a little.

If it was 1 gram I could call it potential scale error. But 3 grams is a lot. Not a little.
We have been around and around this debate. You have to throw the discs. You have to know how the disc you are throwing flies. No one at the top levels of the sport actually believes that if an event came down to one hole with one guy throwing a 175g driver and another guy throwing a 178g driver that it gives the guy throwing 178g driver a huge advantage. They still have to throw the discs. +/- three grams just isn't that big of a deal. If it was, they would be weighing discs. They are not.

If you told McBeth that Conrad's putter was three grams overweight, he'd tell you to go away. Even if it was true, the three grams didn't make that shot go in. You still have to throw the discs.

So it's not a big deal except behind a keyboard.

never weighed my discs or cared that much personally - plus I dont play events.

But the point stands - if Innova is selling discs that are PDGA approved but dont meet PDGA requirements and technically shouldnt be used in sanctioned play then isnt that an issue? The weight limit rule may be insignificant but so are a lot of other rules.

Furthermore they stamp (or write) the weight on the discs indicating they have some QC measures but let these overweight discs go through - marked as legal weight. Whats the point of showing the disc weight if it could be so inaccurate as to make the disc illegal?

bottom line Innova should - and probably will - replace your discs. your complaint is probably not exactly top priority for them currently though.