• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do with your overweight discs?

Minis. It's got to be minis. They're too small.

It can't be this. He clearly just putts from behind his disc on these gigantic baskets, since it's basically a tap in from anywhere inside 150' or so. Plus he aces most of the time anyway, who needs a mini when you just toss legal weight discs straight in the bottom of the tray, from the tee, on the regular?

That you need help?

Yes.

He's got that undefeatable Aspergers energy that's for sure. They'll analyze everything to the finest detail. Go to any forum, you'll see it all over the place. The internet space is a good place to sperg out a little on your interests. You just gotta breathe a little and remember to try and be nice to people.

First the baskets were too big.

Then the discs were overweight.

Who wants to place bets on which piece of equipment is next?

And course design.

Or, at least, the application of O.B. in it.

I believe in the QC of the manufacturer and play with what they sell me, in good faith. That's what I do.

Yep, same here. Plus my 10 dollar, decade old digital scale probably isn't the most accurate, I certainly wouldn't trust it to weigh out prescription drugs that's for sure, but giving me a ball park idea with a +- of 5 or so grams of what my discs weigh is handy.

He's got that undefeatable Aspergers energy that's for sure. They'll analyze everything to the finest detail. Go to any forum, you'll see it all over the place. The internet space is a good place to sperg out a little on your interests. You just gotta breathe a little and remember to try and be nice to people.

No call for for this.

You apparently forgot to breathe a little and be nice to people.

I actually am a little curious about this topic.

Lets say you want to buy your favorite putter at OTB or Marshall Street. Top choice is white, second choice is yellow. The white disc scales at 175.7, the yellow disc scales at 174.8. Both penned 175g. You want to use this in competition. It is your wind putter, so you aren't beating it up first. Do you buy the color you want or the disc that is supposed to be a smidge under weight and compliant with the rules?

I actually am a little curious about this topic.

Lets say you want to buy your favorite putter at OTB or Marshall Street. Top choice is white, second choice is yellow. The white disc scales at 175.7, the yellow disc scales at 174.8. Both penned 175g. You want to use this in competition. It is your wind putter, so you aren't beating it up first. Do you buy the color you want or the disc that is supposed to be a smidge under weight and compliant with the rules?

Unless you know the disc's diameter, you don't know the allowed maximum weight. If the disc is described as domey, do you a) caliper it so that you know the diameter of the disc corresponds with the published parameters of the disc?, b) caliper the disc to ensure that a difference in diameter caused by shrinkage hasn't reduced the allowed weight?

What if you know that disc is marked 175g and it was manufactured in Arizona, but you live in Louisiana, which is significantly more humid? After a year of sitting in your storage box in your shed, is the disc still legal?

Buy approved discs manufactured by an approved manufacturer. There isn't any other requirement. The only reason this comes up at all is that the weight of the disc is allowed to be purposely variable, so people are used to enquiring about the weight of the disc.

Unless you know the disc's diameter, you don't know the allowed maximum weight. If the disc is described as domey, do you a) caliper it so that you know the diameter of the disc corresponds with the published parameters of the disc?, b) caliper the disc to ensure that a difference in diameter caused by shrinkage hasn't reduced the allowed weight?

What if you know that disc is marked 175g and it was manufactured in Arizona, but you live in Louisiana, which is significantly more humid? After a year of sitting in your storage box in your shed, is the disc still legal?

Buy approved discs manufactured by an approved manufacturer. There isn't any other requirement. The only reason this comes up at all is that the weight of the disc is allowed to be purposely variable, so people are used to enquiring about the weight of the disc.

I'm not trying to get into all that. I'm asking if individuals that post on this forum and read this thread avoid "overweight" discs when buying from retailers that post "actual" weights. Either answer is perfectly acceptable and "right" in my opinion.

My discs lose weight, from frequent tree hits.

Actually, I have no idea. Is it more likely discs gain weight over time (moisture, dirt), or lose it (bits of plastic worn or chipped off)? Has anyone tested this, accurately weighing a disc when new, then again with the same scale when worn?

Doesn't matter to me -- just curious. My throwing problems will neither be resolved, nor worsened, by a gram or two, here or there.

If any of my drivers are overweight, they might barely sneak into the lower 160s. :rolleyes:

The only time I have ever weighed a disc is if I am selling it and the weight isn't marked. Kitchen scale has precision within 1-2 grams, but I have no idea about its accuracy.

And yes, precision and accuracy are different. :)

Again, no.

There are a hundred variables to a discs flight, you'd never be able to say, on flight alone, that one was heavier.

I'd be willing to bet I could hand PMcB 10 Zeus's, one of which was 3 grams heavier than the others, and he'd never know which one was heavier, based on feel or flight. It'd be a guessing game.

And I betcha he's more in tune with plastic than yourself.

I think he would be able to pick out the heavy one every time.

Actually, I have no idea. Is it more likely discs gain weight over time (moisture, dirt), or lose it (bits of plastic worn or chipped off)? Has anyone tested this, accurately weighing a disc when new, then again with the same scale when worn?

Doesn't matter to me -- just curious. My throwing problems will neither be resolved, nor worsened, by a gram or two, here or there.

Oh, I understand that. I'm just arguing against the hypothetical by reduction to absurdity.

If the disc is brand new, and exactly at the weight limit in a dry environment, it will gain some weight in a humid environment (still brand new) and be over the weight limit. The obvious answer is that this does not make the disc illegal, but the contention in question would make the disc illegal. Which is absurd.

@autocrossx:
I think you are asking if people buy discs, as seen listed here at OTBDiscs?
attachment.php

I think the answer is clearly yes (or you wouldn't see them listed). I'd be curious whether looking through all the distance drivers whether you'd see any listed at 176+, which might suggest that people aren't generally willing to buy anything listed above 175 in whole grams.

Attachments

• OTBDiscDestroyerWeights.jpg
    OTBDiscDestroyerWeights.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 117

Mine have all lost weight over the years. Baseline plastic loses weight alot faster than premium does, obviously because they tend to get chipped up. But even premium discs will all start to slowly lose weight over their life. Takes a long time, depending on how often you play.

The very nature of discs losing stability during their life is the underside of the flight plate slowly wearing itself down flatter. That was the original idea for the bead on rocs, to basically add a buffer to that to add life on the disc.

Again, no.

There are a hundred variables to a discs flight, you'd never be able to say, on flight alone, that one was heavier.

I'd be willing to bet I could hand PMcB 10 Zeus's, one of which was 3 grams heavier than the others, and he'd never know which one was heavier, based on feel or flight. It'd be a guessing game.

And I betcha he's more in tune with plastic than yourself.
He would be able to tell if, and only if, you put them one in each hand. He likely has a sense fine-tuned to tell the difference between two discs sensed at the same time (still a MAYBE, giving benefit of the doubt). If you handed him the discs one by one he would not be able to do it. And unless he knows that the runs are the same he would not be able to tell the difference by flight. But aside from the first circumstance - Paul is still human. He wouldn't be able to tell a difference in force sensation based on a 1.6% difference, that's below the threshold for identifying difference in sensation in the finger (the most sensitive part of the arm to force sensation).

Last edited:
I don't have any overweight discs. Which really means: the one thing I DON'T do with overweight discs is weight them...

Rastnav;3735126@autocrossx: I think you are asking if people buy discs said:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74745&stc=1&d=1625586282[/IMG]

I think the answer is clearly yes (or you wouldn't see them listed). I'd be curious whether looking through all the distance drivers whether you'd see any listed at 176+, which might suggest that people aren't generally willing to buy anything listed above 175 in whole grams.

I was asking if specific people here made these considerations when buying.

Personally, I tend to buy from Infinite or locally, so I really haven't had that decision. And I certainly don't weigh anything myself. Penned 175 (or 180 or whatever) is certainly good enough for me to sleep at night.

Latest posts