• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do with your overweight discs?

I can feel three grams:D:cool:

In your lousy hypothetical, what if the 3 gram lighter disc had a higher PLH? Would the heavier disc STILL fight wind better with a lower PLH?

Math and stuff.

I agree that I simply wouldn't be able to throw them. Even if somehow my scale is off by that much which seems unlikely since I've weighed hundreds of discs and thus feel it's calibrated to be very close.

Yeah that is the cornerstone of good science.
The feel test. Calibrated against other just as random items that feel right these feel wrong therefore the experiment was valid.

3g error on a kitchen scale is nothing. Quit being a freaking martyr to yourself. Your integrity is fine no one is going to think lesser of you for that. Your common sense however might be another thing

In your lousy hypothetical, what if the 3 gram lighter disc had a higher PLH? Would the heavier disc STILL fight wind better with a lower PLH?

Math and stuff.

Take it a step further. What if the 3 grams lighter disc took a higher dose of PCP? Would it fly as high as the stock max weight? Now what if the same disc took an equal dose of LSD? Would it be slower and less reactive? Would the LSD be more affected in the HSS or LSS with more or less LSD, speaking nothing of the BAC, or any potential THC in the equation? Now if PED's were involved, we'd have to rethink the whole thing.

Yeah that is the cornerstone of good science.
The feel test. Calibrated against other just as random items that feel right these feel wrong therefore the experiment was valid.

3g error on a kitchen scale is nothing. Quit being a freaking martyr to yourself. Your integrity is fine no one is going to think lesser of you for that. Your common sense however might be another thing

Math and averages and stuff. When you take an avg of hundreds of measurements then you can accurately tell if the scale is on point/high/low. You know math and science. But maybe you don't understand that stuff.

Not to mention it's also right on with other retailers who have also weighed their discs.

So I have comparisons against other scales as well as over a hundred other data points.

All our scales would have to be off along with the hundreds of other discs. Maybe you get the point.

That you need help?

Yes.

But…it's 3, count them. Uh one, uh twooo, uh three!

Three grams over!

I'm deeply concerned that I'm throwing a disc my local CTier AM will be impacted by my mid pack finish because I threw a disc that might be marginally over the manufacturing limit.

This could have real world consequences.

Math and stuff.

Why wouldn't I get the 178 gram one with a higher PLH. Common sense and stuff. :thmbup:

I didn't read all the comments, so I apologize if this has already been stated. Disc golf, like ball golf, is a game of honor. You shouldn't intentionally break the rules. If you have an issue, it's up to you as an honorable competitor to comply with the rules.

That said... the responsibility to make PDGA approved discs falls on the manufacturers. Because of this, I don't weigh my discs. I believe in the QC of the manufacturer and play with what they sell me, in good faith. That's what I do.

Since you weighed the disc(s) and know the truth, in your own mind, it would be unethical to play with these discs in competition.

Another note... discs absorb oil from your hands as you use them. The pores in the plastic fill with oil and dirt and "gain weight" as part of normal play. In a nutshell, don't weigh your discs. Throw them and have fun.

If your conscience won't let you throw them due to the 3g advantage, sell them.

Advertise them as "labeled 175g, but really 178g", so less scrupulous players will pay you a premium price for that 3g advantage.

Be sure to check the shipping address, to know that you're not selling them to someone who will turn around and beat you with his extra 3gs.

Let the buyer negotiate with his own conscience, about his honor and integrity in throwing 178g discs. You can't be responsible for saving everybody's soul.

Why wouldn't I get the 178 gram one with a higher PLH. Common sense and stuff. :thmbup:

Because you wouldn't [intentionally] buy an overweight disc:confused:

EDIT: or throw it***

Last edited:
First the baskets were too big.

Then the discs were overweight.

Who wants to place bets on which piece of equipment is next?