• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do with your overweight discs?

Yeah, this argument is old but we lather, rinse and repeat from time to time.

I mean I guess if somebody is OCD about following rules, never goes over the speed limit and throws out food if it goes past the expiration date it would track that they are weighing their own discs and freaking out over a few grams.

Nowhere in the rules does it say I have to weigh my own discs and verify the weight written on them, so I don't. If the disc says 175g and it's really 178g, I'd never know. It says 175g and that's good enough for me.

They are not weighing discs before DGPT events. Discs are not being checked at any events. It's not a problem anywhere IRL that anyone is worried about. I don't know why it comes up here as often as it does, but here we are.

tl;dr: Just throw them, nobody cares.

Question....wait for logical, experienced replies.....take up contrary position and then troll for pages to get attention. Over and over.

$15 scale and you think 3 grams is too much to be scale error?

Do you know how little material 3 grams actually is?

The comments about PDGA calibrated scale might sound kinda sarcastic but seriously a kitchen scale could be off by like 5 grams and the error is not going to be consistent or linear.

This is frankly a non-issue.

I would say that if you know the discs are illegal, then you shouldn't throw them in a competition. Mentally, I know i would be thinking about it on every throw. I don't worry about someone calling me on it, it just feels wrong.

The solution of course is not to weigh your max weight discs. If you don't know, it won't interfere in your mental processes. I personally can't throw max weight.

$15 scale and you think 3 grams is too much to be scale error?

Do you know how little material 3 grams actually is?

The comments about PDGA calibrated scale might sound kinda sarcastic but seriously a kitchen scale could be off by like 5 grams and the error is not going to be consistent or linear.

This is frankly a non-issue.
It's usually percentage based i.e. +/- 5% would be expected for a cheap scale. 3/175 is 1.7%

You all have to stop engaging this idiot.

OMD is the reason I avoid max weight discs.

I would say that if you know the discs are illegal, then you shouldn't throw them in a competition.

I hate that I'm even responding to this, but oh well.

Why is Innova (or any other company) allowed to sell me over weight discs? Shouldn't the blame be put on them not the player? If cleats in sports are only allowed to be a certain length, but Nike sells me a pair of [insert sport here] cleats with them longer than legally allowed, is that my fault? Nike never should have sold them to me in the first place.

Mentally, I know i would be thinking about it on every throw.

Wait, you're a ballgolfconvert, and haven't read Golf is Not a Game of Perfect?

Work on your mental game my.......someone who [****]posts on the same forum as me:|

I got a couple Teal Vinny Destroyers from the proshop and they are both 178 grams on the scale. I asked them if I could return them for legal ones, they said yes, now are ghosting me for the last 3 days. So IDK what they are doing. I can't use these things.

I'll just chuck them in the trash probably, unless they get back to me.

So what do you do with your overweight discs?

Sell them to somebody that has a wicked FH and doesn't play tourneys.

How is 178grams overweight? Am I missing something?

By the PDGA Technical Standards for 2021

(5) not exceed a maximum weight of 200 g;

Ref: https://www.pdga.com/files/pdga-technical-standards_2021-01-20_0.pdf

It's also "not to exceed 8.3 g per cm of outside disc diameter" technical guidelines C.4

21.1*8.3 =175.13 for a destroyer

All discs are legal until a card mate questions it. Every disc is illegal if a card mate questions it, until the TD makes a decision.

Thank you Ray1970 and Ahildy13 for that information. I was wondering what I was missing since no one else had brought that up (or I missed it).

They should make it all one line/entry.

not exceed 8.3 g per cm of outside disc diameter or 200 g; whichever is less;

Thank you Ray1970 and Ahildy13 for that information. I was wondering what I was missing since no one else had brought that up (or I missed it).

They should make it all one line/entry.

not exceed 8.3 g per cm of outside disc diameter or 200 g; whichever is less;

I had the same question, so don't feel all alone. I had to check the technical standard, then I measured a destroyer to see what the diameter was and did the math.

I weigh my discs, or I have weighed them. I haven't weighed my most recently acquired disc.

Being new to the sport and watching all the YouTube videos trying to learn and improve you can get focused on the minutiae.

The only light weight discs (~150g) I've tried haven't worked well for me, but it's probably my form more than the disc.

If I had 178 g discs I wouldn't have thought twice about throwing them. Now my OCD is going kick in on the issue. Thanks.

I think people need to step back and think about why the disc weight rules are there in the first place. First, I think the spirit of the rule takes into account the variations in weight that you would expect in a non exact manufacturing process like molding discs. There was never an expectation that discs weigh an exact amount and that one gram over is "breaking the rules". Rather, standards were needed to keep companies from making dangerous highly dense projectiles that are more dangerous to use than need be. So, look at the weight rules as guidance to help companies make safe discs but know there is some wiggle room there to account for the current state of disc manufacturing.

It's over by 3 grams, that's too much to let it slide.

I appreciate your commitment to rigorous honesty but there are definitely calibration concerns if you want to get legal about it. For example, no noise ordinance can truly be enforced by the police unless they have a decibel meter calibrated, with documentation, from the NIST. Its kind of frustrating but measuring things is of no true value unless the measuring device is calibrated against verified samples by an accredited body. So...your measurements are actually suspect at best and even if you get your hands on something certified to weigh exactly what it it said to weigh, even then the device itself cannot be really trusted on the next weigh unless its been certified to be able to maintain its calibration....meaning its build quality has been rigorously verified. So.....throw them free of concern that you may have compromised your commitment to rigorous honesty my friend.

More on manufacture tolerance

How Much Does a US Quarter Weigh?
All 25-cent coins manufactured since 1965 have outer layers of 75 percent copper and 25 percent nickel bonded to a core of pure copper. They weigh 5.67 grams with a tolerance of ± 0.227 grams and a diameter of 24.26 millimeters
…. Plus or minus 4%. fresh from the mint

I would say that if you know the discs are illegal, then you shouldn't throw them in a competition.
Then don't. Return them. Give them to Goodwill. Throw them in non-competition settings. Pound them into trees until they are legal. Melt them in the microwave and post a video. Throw them into the Grand Canyon. Throw them at the next Innova van you see. Carve it into the shape of a basket (small one of course). Or just throw them whenever, because no one really cares.

Your original post asked for opinions. They have been given. People that don't like others' opinions shouldn't ask for them. Especially without prefacing your question with the true point you wish to debate.

Latest posts