• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do with your overweight discs?

uh, that's the opposite of what sunscreen does... maybe pinetar would help that phrase
I would have thought so too, until all the big league pitchers were using sunscreen to help with grip. Not the stuff you slather on, some sort of spray on stuff they use with rosin. So it's a topical reference if you follow big league baseball and nonsense if you don't.

Unfortunately I disagree with you on this. I agree that the 3 grams would have no affect, but I believe players would call other players on it to gain an advantage. It is like hockey, where a more curved stick won't really matter, but if you get wind that the other team has one you hold on to it to get an advantage at a key spot. The curve isn't the issue, but the penalty makes it worth calling it.

McBeth MAY not stoop to that low, but I know for a fact rules lawyers like Feldberg and Barry would.
Apples/oranges in a lot of ways. Feldberg and Schultz needed to win cash to afford the gas to the next tournament for a lot of their careers. To them the $6,500 difference between 1st and 2nd would have overrode any other factor most likely; that was A LOT of scratch for a circa 2000's disc golfer. It might have been enough scratch to make them try to overturn the greatest moment in disc golf history on a technicality. Climo from what I understood tried to argue a technicality in '07 at the Majestic after Minnesota-boy Leiviska made a big putt to tie; he didn't care how that would have looked to the hometown crowd, there was $900 bucks on the line!

A $10,000,000 contract prolly tames that a little. It was just a hypothetical anyway, no one will ever know.

If it's marked from the factory as legal weight, then it's legal to me. Having an overweight destroyer would be a disadvantage for me, I should be throwing drivers in the 168-170 range anyway

Again, another useless topic - unless you have a calibrated scale at home your readings can be considered too inaccurate to even make a call on legal weight or not

Apples/oranges in a lot of ways. Feldberg and Schultz needed to win cash to afford the gas to the next tournament for a lot of their careers.

I don't think money has anything to do with it when it comes to those two. I have heard stories about them calling foot faults during random friendly rounds and getting worked up about it. That anecdote could be misreported, but those two follow rules out of compulsion.

I can understand a person being concerned as to whether they have a legal disc or not.....but....(here goes my opinion)

The disc 'rules' are mainly for manufacturers. Yes, players have to abide by them also...but....
How can the disc 'rules' be enforced? The PDGA would have to supply everyone with a list of discs and what their max weight can be. Then the PDGA would have to have an approved scale to be supplied to TDs and require all discs to be checked (size, weight, etc.) prior to every round. Not going to happen...heck, discs aren't checked now to ensure they meet the requirements. Obvious violations (painted discs, cracked, holes) are going to be noticed during play; but no one is going to check for that prior to a round starting. Even if a competitor could tell the difference of a couple of grams, they can't just pick up your disc and feel it or weigh it. I see this rule as a 'for manufacturers'....and unenforceable for players. Note, I said 'unenforceable'. That doesn't mean a player could check their discs themselves (like OMD), but there's currently no way for the rule to be enforced prior, during, or after play.

Situation: I think player OMD's Destroyer is overweight and against the rules. OMD: I have a scale at home, but I didn't get to check this disc. TD: I don't have a scale to check it. It looks good to me. Other players: We don't have a scale to check it, looks good to me. Me: I do have a scale (pulls it out)....the disc is 178 g. TD/Others: We don't know how accurate the scale is and we don't have anything to confirm the accuracy....so by the rules, the benefit of the doubt goes to OMD and the disc is legal.

If it's marked from the factory as legal weight, then it's legal to me. Having an overweight destroyer would be a disadvantage for me, I should be throwing drivers in the 168-170 range anyway

Again, another useless topic - unless you have a calibrated scale at home your readings can be considered too inaccurate to even make a call on legal weight or not
3/4's of my really good drivers I acquired in this manner:

Some dude: This (insert disc name) is too light for me, it turns over no matter what I do.

Me: (slides over and inserts myself into conversation) Would you like to trade that?

3/4's of my really good drivers I acquired in this manner:

Some dude: This (insert disc name) is too light for me, it turns over no matter what I do.

Me: (slides over and inserts myself into conversation) Would you like to trade that?

You are the disc golf equivalent of the sweeper at bar close, grabbing all the leftover skanks nobody else wanted. Respect :hfive:

if I played sanctioned events and they worked for me, I would use them and enjoy them with no moral issue. heavy discs don't usually work for me, and I don't play a lot of sanctioned events, so I'll just throw my Diamond. thanks for trolling on a silly issue.

The heavier they are, the better they are for throwing at OMD.

That's funny...I know OMD rubs most people the wrong way. Heck, even I get irritated at some of his posts, but I think this was a good one.

He noticed a rule, would like to abide by it, and wanted people's opinion on it. He never went off on a rant saying that everyone should immediately weigh their discs and get rid of any overweight ones. He never said TDs need to start weighing everyone's discs.

He kept this one pretty much social....he doesn't like to play with overweight discs and asked the vendor to make good on it...they ignored him. He asked us what we thought.

I did find the thread interesting as I knew there was a 200 g weight limit, but I wasn't aware that the weight limit was also based on the size of the disc.

Do I think OMD sometimes 'beats a dead horse'? Yeah...but this isn't one of those cases (yet).

I can understand a person being concerned as to whether they have a legal disc or not.....but....(here goes my opinion)

The disc 'rules' are mainly for manufacturers. Yes, players have to abide by them also...but....
How can the disc 'rules' be enforced? The PDGA would have to supply everyone with a list of discs and what their max weight can be. Then the PDGA would have to have an approved scale to be supplied to TDs and require all discs to be checked (size, weight, etc.) prior to every round. Not going to happen...heck, discs aren't checked now to ensure they meet the requirements. Obvious violations (painted discs, cracked, holes) are going to be noticed during play; but no one is going to check for that prior to a round starting. Even if a competitor could tell the difference of a couple of grams, they can't just pick up your disc and feel it or weigh it. I see this rule as a 'for manufacturers'....and unenforceable for players. Note, I said 'unenforceable'. That doesn't mean a player could check their discs themselves (like OMD), but there's currently no way for the rule to be enforced prior, during, or after play.

Situation: I think player OMD's Destroyer is overweight and against the rules. OMD: I have a scale at home, but I didn't get to check this disc. TD: I don't have a scale to check it. It looks good to me. Other players: We don't have a scale to check it, looks good to me. Me: I do have a scale (pulls it out)....the disc is 178 g. TD/Others: We don't know how accurate the scale is and we don't have anything to confirm the accuracy....so by the rules, the benefit of the doubt goes to OMD and the disc is legal.
What your scenario is missing is this: unless OMD is openly stating that his disc is OW there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for someone to ask to weigh his disc. If he has poured metal into pockets in the rim, or something similar in alteration, the scale isnt needed to enforce violations. In a world of "Halo discs are more stable," "Second runs are straighter," "Discs with a touch of virgin blood skip further" etc. there is simply no reason to assume a disc is 3g OW. Or even 10g OW.

The spirit of the rule has to do with safety for spectator or other pedestrian. Ballgolfconverts remonstrations are ultimately completely pointless in a world where a Ricky Destroyer has a significantly greater stability than another mold. Companies do as much with plastic blends as 5g of weight.

This is all a true and clear example of virtue signaling. The rule is purely about spectator safety and these jackwads (OMD and BGC) are treating it like something that takes money out of your opponents' pockets. They know it, they just wanna feel special.

Latest posts