• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you guys think of these beginner sets?

its normally cheaper to make your own. if you go to discgolfcenter.com you can find the beginner sets for like 28 or you can buy the discs individually for 22.50

Can't go wrong with either of them, I'd recommend the discraft mix myself. Real close to the same price if you made your own set, but if it's sent to you thats even better.

I would just order a bunch of x-outs/misprints from a golf site for $5-10 each instead. If I had to choose, get the discraft one.

I like Discraft discs a lot, but imo the Innova starter set looks better and, if it ships free, is a pretty decent deal. Hopefully the weights are appropriate.

$27 for 3 DX's which atleast one of them is junk 150 class...no thanks. Go to Marshall Street and get 5 x-outs of your choice of weight and color for that price.

I usually throw Innova, but I'd have to say that the Discraft starter set is the way to go. Some folks may tell you to go to DiscGolfCenter, Prime Discs, or Marshall Street and build your own set, but if you're new to the sport, you won't really know what you're looking for. Go with the starter set for now, get used to those discs, and hit up these threads when you want to step up to some new plastic.

I'd also recommend buying it from DiscGolfCenter instead of Amazon. I buy from Amazon all the time, but it's 1 cent cheaper from DiscGolfCenter and you're supporting a store that promotes the sport...and it's always free shipping from DGC:

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=347&PPQT1=218

I would just order a bunch of x-outs/misprints from a golf site for $5-10 each instead. If I had to choose, get the discraft one.

Thator find out what people have on here.

Yeah...if that package were $20 instead of $27, it'd be a decent deal. But that's a huge difference.

Discraft pack is $23 and has no 150 class discs, pretty nice for not leaving your house. Pro D/DX is great for beginners.

OK....here's what I ended up with.
I ordered from Discgolfcenter.com.
Since I like to experiment, I ordered 2 midranges and 2 putters just to see what feels best to me.

Here's what I got:

Aviar P & A Innova , DX , Standard , 169 , Orange
Roc Innova , DX , Standard , 168 , Blue
Buzzz Discraft , Pro-D , Standard , 166 , Yellow
Magnet Discraft , Pro-D , Standard , 166 , Red

Did I do ok?

Len
Edit/Delete Message

Since I like to experiment, I ordered 2 midranges and 2 putters just to see what feels best to me.

Here's what I got:

Did I do ok?

Len
Edit/Delete Message

looks damn good to me! four of the most popular discs.

Here's what I got:

Did I do ok?

Len
Edit/Delete Message

You did well. Stick with these discs until you learn how to throw them properly. Once you've got your form down pretty good, then you can add in a driver. But do not try to throw a driver before you learn how to throw a mid well. I like how you went with the top 2 disc manufacturers. As you progress in the sport don't be afraid to try different manufacturers, molds, and plastics. But get the basics down before spending alot of money.

Marshall Street used to have sets for around $35.

I got my dad a Lightning starter bag, a Pro-D cyclone, a rock-it, and a magic.

I thought that was a pretty sweet set.

**couldnt find them at MS but Prime has a few, search starter set**

Last edited:

Latest posts