• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

***What Does DG Mean to You?***

For me, just the mention of disc golf makes me feel excited. The whole experience for me is amazing, from parking it on the first hole, to writing on formus such as these. It's a great way to enjoy nature weather it be perfect weather or hot(or cold) as hell. I love the feeling i get every time i hear 2 minutes before a round starts, and discussing my best and worst shots on the ride home from a tournament.
I guess for me disc golf is a great personal competion that i get to share with other people.

Relaxing, Fresh-Air, Nature, Friends-Hanging-Out, Excitement, Freedom, Accomplishments, Enjoyment, Desiring, Exercise, Athletic, Goal-Orientated, Fun, Relaxing again and again.

Even though you and your buddy both shot WAY over par, there were still those few shots that were awesome and talking about it afterward over a cold one only makes you want to get out there and do it all over again.
I guess I could have just summed this all up by saying Comradderie but as you can see I don't know how to spell the darn thing.

Definitely addictive
Insanely fun
Satisfaction of the great shot
Cool people
Good exercise
One, hole in
Laughing with (or at) your friends
Far from the rat race

I like to touch on the creative side of things, for those that like to imagine holes in peoples front yards, i finally got feed up and designed my own. After playing a course in NJ and randomly meeting one of the creators on the course i became inspired to do the same. My course has become a multi purpose project for me. One side is a place i can go and play that is closer than then the other courses(its only object at the moment but thats all any of it is anyways so get over the basket stigma and enjoy throwing). The second is to spread the sport and help it grow. I get such joy in keeping up with the course and hearing or seeing people play something i created, and ubber joyed if they like it better than some of the other courses in the area. So for me it's all the previously mentioned but also a creative outlet. I don't limit myself to the course itself. in designing i may have had 30ish holes but only 18 make the final cut, and knowing the course can change with time keeps me excited about looking for more options.

Sometime last year a buddy sent me a link to a movie trailer about disc golf. "This is soooo cool, check this out," he said. There was a burning basket, a pretty girl with body piercings and tattoos, and a bunch of shots of pro players throwing Max D drives, all set to some sort of Rage Against The Machine-ish music. Cool, indeed...but it did not remind me of anything I have experienced in my years of playing disc golf. My reply email said something along the lines of "The hip skater kids are going to be disappointed when they show up at the course expecting to see hot tattooed chicks and all they find is a bunch of old hippie and redneck dudes."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAo_Kyhd03s

To me disc golf has a lot of stillness. Once you walk up on the tee, people stop moving and stop talking. You can hear the the leaves rustling in the breeze, maybe birds chirping...then you throw. I always hear my toe dragging on the X step, then the snap and the throw is off. For several seconds you will still have that stillness and you watch the flight (unless you hit a tree or somebody Nice's you.) Then a short period of talking and moving until someone else is on the tee and everyone is still again. This is repeated over and over before and during every throw. That ritual of everyone stopping, standing quiet and motionless, that is my experience. Admittedly that would make a crappy movie, but that is what I usually think of...the stillness of it.

What it means to me? Here is one thing...I worked in parks and recreation for over a dozen years for four departments. During that time I ran programs for everybody. Karate classes, kids T-ball, basketball leagues, senior trips, preschool classes, family special events...you name it, I did it. When I left jobs nobody ever said thank you, get bent or anything. I just left and somebody else stepped in. The exception was a group of guys who got together and gave me a plaque when I left. It's the best thing I've got from that career. The fact that it came from people who actually participated in my programs and who thought enough of what I did to give me something when I left makes it very special to me. Those guys were the disc golfers at White Birch. There are some really good people throwing plastic around our parks.

For me, it's mostly about getting outdoors and enjoying the scenery. There aren't too many hiking trails in the area, so I dg. Always liked frisbee, too, and played a lot of ultimate out in front of Chy Hoe at CU, back in da day. However, once I started playing, an entire community of people opened up to me and made me feel welcome. I really needed that at the time I began playing and am so grateful, not only for the lessons, but mostly the friendships.

For me, it's mostly about getting outdoors and enjoying the scenery. There aren't too many hiking trails in the area, so I dg. Always liked frisbee, too, and played a lot of ultimate out in front of Chy Hoe at CU, back in da day. However, once I started playing dg, an entire community of people opened up to me and made me feel welcome. I really needed that at the time I began playing and am so grateful, not only for the lessons, but mostly the friendships.

In a game of alternating shot doubles,I was teamed up with a guy that actually threw one backwards about 15 feet. Anyone have a doubles partner that threw one backwards?

My wife has thrown a disc in every possible direction. One day one of hers got away from her and headed towards her five oclock, right into the middle of a playscape area filled with children. Miraculously noone was hurt.

My wife has thrown a disc in every possible direction. One day one of hers got away from her and headed towards her five oclock, right into the middle of a playscape area filled with children. Miraculously noone was hurt.

yo sidewinding! I'm waiting for a reply from you on the PM side of things.........
-JD

What disc golf means to me...

Before I repeat many of the sentimants expressed before me, I would love to touch on an aspect of the sport that I don't believe anyone has mentioned, and that is that everyones tools, while all regulation, are completely unique. Noone elses Sidewinder is perfectly beaten like mine, so therefore noones flight arc is quite the same as mine when throwing the same disc. Everyone I play with knows exactly how all of their discs perform when thrown satisfactorily, and make their disc and shot selections accordingly. It has quite the "gunslinger" vibe, if you know what Im alluding to...quite the Indiana Jones, let me reach in my satchel of mystical items for exactly the right trinket for this quest kind of thing going on. That being said, I too am amazed at the amount of walking, climbing, squatting, stretching, and mental deliberation and strategizing that my 35yr old self incurrs since embraceing this "sport". I love the unique landscapes that I take in, and would never be privvy to were it not for some chains and some plastic. The collector in me, whether it be round stats, comic books, Magic cards, Maquettes, or custom Tournament discs is satiated. And finally I thouroughly am pleased with the community, as it is a 98% chance that the people I meet when throwing are like minded, positive, worthwhile Damn glad I met ya folks. So disc golf is an activity, but to me is more of a Zen way of being, a way of percieving, a way of interacting, quite simply, the only way.

Disc golf saved me from boredom and avoids watching too much TV's.

Also helps me to take my dog out for walks that he actually enjoyed nature without being restricted with dumb leash.

Improves my physical and mental health. Without DG, I have nothing to focus on and will gain a lot of weight.

The cheapest outdoor sport there is. A lot better than ball golf!!

Lastly, I love throwing any flying objects and love to see its flights...:D

I love this-- "If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly." That sums up my game perfectly.

P.S.- I forgot to give credit that it's from Soladeos' signature.