• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what is going on here (Physics)

Rowick

So there is a new course near my house, and it has tall 30-35ft mesh fences to keep the discs out of a busy parking lot. On one hole they come into play defining the right side of a narrow fairway; every time or at least a lot of the time when I tee off my disc looks like it is headed straight for the fence, and then it at least appears to alter course radically at the last second missing the fence entirely, and going back into the fairway, not like it hit a tree, but continuing on a hyzer line I've done it several times and I've seen other people do it, and I know I'm not that good at aiming my shots, so whats going on here? Is i actually touching the fence and just going along it, or is there some kind physics principal at play here that I don't know about, or do I just need to lay off the drugs?

It sounds like you disc may be reaching the point where it's starting to fade left right at the distance where the fence is. When it makes an abrupt turn away from the fence on flicks or LHBH throws then it will be time to lay off the drugs.

without seeing a picture its pretty hard to know exactly what you are talking about...Kind of sounds like you could be throwing a hyzer flip? disc goes out on an angle but then flattens and finishes straight?

Might be the drugs and just the drives brushing off the mesh too! :D

Mesh fences shouldn't create any funny airflow or anything that would disrupt the flight. I'd bet it's just a loony optical illusion.

RHBH the disc could be spinning/skipping off the mesh fence. I bet it doesn't happen with LHBH or righty forehand.

Yeah, I've seen discs do that off walls and fences when they still have enough spin, it's probably glancing off the fence but redirecting rather than getting knocked down.

You probably just can't tell how close to the fence it actually is. I bet the disc are actually fading before the get to the fence but from your perspective it looks like they are right on it.

If your really interested then you could have somebody stand up near the fence off to the right and see what is really going on.

Does this seem to happen around 4:20 in the afternoon with a Four20 driver and after you rotated 420 degrees during your throw?

What's happening is that the designer knew exactly where to put the fence.

Often yes and the fact that I'm in Colorado doesn't help either I think it has something to do with the high altitude

7a6c3b0b.jpg

Discs will tend to be more stable at altitude so maybe it is coming back on it's own.

..If your really interested then you could have somebody stand up near the fence off to the right and see what is really going on.

Hey, that sounds too easy.

Latest posts