• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What percentage of lost discs do you have returned?

How often do you get your disc back

• Every time

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Never

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • 25%

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • 10%

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • 5%

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never lose any discs

Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters

Disc Golf Doctor

Par Member
Curious as to how frequently everyone else gets contacted about a disc you have lost. I seem to only get about 1 in 5 or less. I had a disc I lost show up a couple of months later half way across the state last summer.

I'd say not a lot, maybe 5%. Its kind of strange though. I have lost or forgotten to pick my FR resistor 5 times and have gotten it back every time. One summer I lost 5 or 6 Teslas and didn't get any of them back...*shrugsmiley*

I also had a weird call about a disc once. I sold an orange champ wraith to a firend of mine and he lost it at Mt Airy(Cincy, Ohio) the first round he had it. Cant remember exactly how long it was later I got the call back but I think it was at least a year. It was so much later that in the meantime I had stopped hanging out with that guy, lol. The disc was found in a lake in Richmond, Virginia...

Last edited:
Rarely. Hard to say, it goes in streaks and I lose a lot fewer than I used to. Lately I've left a few out there and of all that have gone this year I got called right away on three and not gotten anything back on 3. One I stuck in a tree and couldn't retrieve during my round. I went by on my way out and it was gone. I saw a group a few holes a head and ran up to see if they had it. One guy spoke up (not the guy that had the disc) and the guy that DID have the disc got a bit pissy about it being left of in the tree and not hard to get to or something then parting shot said "you should put your name on those" I did let him know its on the rim, maybe a bit faded but thanks for being a stand-up guy.

I've returned/called and dropped at a lost and found for probably 10 in the same time frame and found a few no-name no number used a facebook lost and found and got no hits on.

Overall in the time i've played? 1 in 5 sounds about right.

Every disc I've lost has had my name and number, none have been returned.
The only disc I got back was a *orc that sat in a lake for a year. I bought it back (it wasn't returned) from the guy who said he couldn't sell it. He probably couldn't sell it because of the giant QR code I dyed on it which sent me a text saying it had been found.

I rarely lose discs as I will spend quite a long time looking for them when I feel I have lost them. The ones I have actually lost, I have only received a couple of calls back. I have gotten more calls from discs that I have traded and the new owner lost, than the discs I actually lost.

I've lost almost thirty discs over the years (I play over a lot of water hazards and for some reason think that just because I made the first shot, I can do better on a second), and the only ones I've gotten back are ones I retrieved myself. Either going back into the brush and looking after a month or so when the foliage changes or a good wind comes through, or swimming when the water is clear or the weather warms up.

I have returned about 6 this year (when I started playing again), so maybe I'm building up some good disc karma. There are definitely some discs out there I really miss, and maybe shouldn't have been throwing in the first place

I'd guess about 80% of the time, since people at my home course are very good about returning discs. Honestly the percentage at my home course is probably 90% or above.

So few of them that I don't bother keeping track. I put my phone number hoping someone calls, not because I expect them to.

5-10% is a generous answer. probably closer to 5%. and I have everything properly inked. and for some reason the ones I get calls about are the ones I don't even care about...maybe bit that much of a coincidence.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The only ones that I don't get back are the ones that go into the deepest and most remote lakes. The others come back to me with tremendous regularity.

I've only lost 2 in a lake. One when I was brand new first day and didn't have a name. It was a sweet day glow destroyer. I miss it. The other is in the middle of a sewage pond basically. Somebody might eventually return it but doubtful. Both times I searched and found other people's who said I could keep them (both had lost them so long ago in that lake they had forgotten bout them)

Last two I lost (well, one lost, one left on the course by accident) I got back. Reached out to our local disc golf community FB (literally has been the only time I use FB....) about the first one, White SDS. Second I texted my friend who was also on the course asking if he came across my Orange Undy. He did.

So, 100% the last couple years (suppose I don't lose many). However, I can think of a few in the past I never got back. Oh well.

Despite contact info on every disc and a reward policy, 5% is about right. I saw one I lost in Indiana for sale online in Illinois, and had one returned from a local course on which I'd never lost a disc.

New category:

What do you do with lost discs when you find them?
1. Always try to get them back to their owner.
2. Finders keepers losers weepers.
3. Borrow them for a while. Leave the name and number on them and throw them till I lose them again. Hey, they might make it back home someday!

I had a disc I basically returned to myself...I guess? Lost a disc at a course about 30 miles from home. It was a light blue bigZ Mantis. About 3 months later I was playing a round at a local course about 10 miles from home and I see this light blue Mantis some kid was throwing. I asked him if I could take a look at it. Sure enough my name and number were still on the bottom. I asked if he knew who Dave was and of course he didn't. Guess what dude that's me! I was seriously going to let him keep it since I had moved on from that driver and I think he thought I was going to fight him or something. "Aw nah man you can have it." He was all nervous about it and I ended up selling it about a month later.

I don't put contact info on my discs.

It's too much of a pain in the a$$ trying to hook up with people to try and get them back.

If I lose a disc, it gets a moment of silence and I move on.

I usually lose one disc a year, so it's not a big deal.

I voted everytime, even though that is not true. But I get well over 50% back. If there was an option for 80%, I would have chose that.

I seem to have unusually good luck with this. Partially because a lot of my lost discs are dyes, and I think people are less ready to take a disc as their own when it's so easily recognizable. Also, Glide being a community lost and found around here really does help - makes it super easy to return a disc.

I don't put contact info on my discs.

It's too much of a pain in the a$$ trying to hook up with people to try and get them back.

If I lose a disc, it gets a moment of silence and I move on.

I usually lose one disc a year, so it's not a big deal.

This. Plus, if you want to possibly re-sell the discs down the road you can get more value out of them un-inked.

If you chuck a disc in a lake, move on. She's gone. I lost a biofuzion Defender about 3 months ago on a seemingly innocuous shot. The weeds were minimal. I simply never found it. It had no ink on it. Oh well. It comes with the territory.

Yeah, I think the Inked disc hope to get it back if I lose if phase is starting to back fire. I know lots of people "including myself" who don't want other peoples inked crap anymore. It's one thing to have it small on the rim, but most I see are large obnoxious chicken scratch.

I love (not) playing with those guys that like to pick up your disc and see a name one it and assume you're throwing a found disc that you didn't bother calling the owner about. No jaska$$, I play with him all the time and I traded him for it!

From here on out for me, you ink it, you ruined it. Unless it's DX. That whips off easy.

Last edited: