• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What Was Your Most Dissapointing Plastic Purchase?

I agree with Mr. Butlertron. MVP plastic sucks. Only feels good to me when its about 90 outside and dry. They keep on releasing discs I should LOVE but keep failing with that nasty plastic blend.

There are two things I like in a disc: board flat, and thin profile. MVP made me forget I hate their plastic when they released the Resistor and the Servo. Only lasted about 4 tosses each though, feels as slick as snot when its cold or wet.

My Titanium Buzzz was my most disappointing purchase. Most expensive disc as well.

Want to get rid of it? My first one was a copper in 177 and it flew quite a bit more overstable that a Z Buzzz. Since then, all others I have thrown have been understable. If yours is overstable and you still have it, lets trade.

i'll have to add another - the first rival i bought. i hated it; too OS. then i felt up more plastic and realized there was a major difference between the PLH and stiffness/dome of the max weights i had seen and the lighter, gummy ones.

i'm kind of surprised about the mvp comments saying they're too slick. i always felt they got tacky (with the exception of new neutron) when they got wet/cold. it's why i couldn't putt with my soft anode in the fall. when it got toward evening and things got chilly, it practically stuck to my damn hand. to each their own, i s'pose. i used to have a rock-hard anode, that probably wouldn't work in the cold/wet at all.

Last edited:
I'm amused by the amount of distaste for the Blizzard and StarLite plastic this thread is showing. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the tendencies of light discs to be more understable and less wind friendly are pretty commonly known. So I'm surprised how many people try these discs anyway.

I actually throw 150g QOLFs as my primary driver. So my 152g StarLite Tern has been excellent for me.

I can totally see why people would be disappointed with, for example, a Blizzard Firebird. Seems like in the light weight it would kind of defeat the purpose of the disc. Of course, even a super light weight Firebird might be a great overstable disc for someone with less power.

Basically, I'm surprised that people would spend money on Blizzard or StarLite plastic if they almost already know that they're going to turn and burn with it. Hope that this makes sense!

I'm amused by the amount of distaste for the Blizzard and StarLite plastic this thread is showing. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the tendencies of light discs to be more understable and less wind friendly are pretty commonly known. So I'm surprised how many people try these discs anyway.

I actually throw 150g QOLFs as my primary driver. So my 152g StarLite Tern has been excellent for me.

I can totally see why people would be disappointed with, for example, a Blizzard Firebird. Seems like in the light weight it would kind of defeat the purpose of the disc. Of course, even a super light weight Firebird might be a great overstable disc for someone with less power.

Basically, I'm surprised that people would spend money on Blizzard or StarLite plastic if they almost already know that they're going to turn and burn with it. Hope that this makes sense!

I blame Wiggins.

I have a complete bag in the 150s and I'd say it defiantly has more to do with the plastic than the weight. My champ and star discs all fly pretty close to the intended flight path of their max weight counterparts. I'd bet if you could do a max weight driver in Blizzard/Star Lite it would still probably be really inconsistent.

I remember buying a Star Boss right when I started because I thought speed 13 meant It was easy to throw far. Noob status..

I'd have to say Star Teedevil, but only the second time around. I got an X-out when they first came out and loved it for certain shots. Ended up in the creek and I waited about a month or 2 to replace it. By that time I hated it for some reason.

MVP discs in general. I tried the ion at my local course and kept getting hit on by guys wearing weird ugly clothes who were listening to Sarah McLachlan.
2jbwtpw.jpg

Cyclone. I kept hearing it was like a Teebird but I could not get comfortable with it.

teebird. Bought several in various plastics tried to be a friend to the teebird -- could never make one work right. Most other old-time locals make fun of me when I mention this -- the only teebirds I own are collectables.

Teebird's the only non-overstable mold I've had such little luck with except the groove and vulcan . . . but's that's like apples and oranges.

blizzard vulcan. generally don't like most blizzard discs. but i tried this out when i was even more of a noob than i currently am for what i thought would've worked as a good anny disc our of the box.

this thing was should've been a -10 on its high speed stability rating. Put it on an extreme hyzer angle and it would still basically do a barrel roll into a roller fresh out of the box. was ridiculous.