• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the One Disc You Give a Noob?

That beat-in Axis will do just fine. I loaned my brother-in-law a beat 170sih N Axis and it was spot on. Good glide. Decent stability. Putts like a dream. He even made a couple 3s.

A lot of good suggestions here, DX Shark is a great beginner disc I also think the Axis will work well as long as it is beat in a little. The Alias doesn't get mentioned much but every new player I have ever taken out ends up liking it more than any other disc in my bag because of it straight flight and minimal fade.

I've had the best luck by showing them the very basics then having them empty my bag. See how they throw and pick a disc that'll best suit how they currently throw so they can get something resembling a straight flight. Bonus points if during the round as they get something sorta consistent you switch it up to a more OS/US disc that fits how they (poorly) throw. Nothing like having someone say they want the disc i just threw (firebird) since it flew so well for me and saying sure try it - horrid noob hyzer - ok back to that mid that worked.

Then if the bug hits - set them up with a neutral mid and a putter and let them really work on doing it correctly.

I usually go with either a Stingray or Mako and an Aviar. Only because I have a lot of Innova. Noobs usually don't throw a driver any further than a mid, so I give them a mid as they're easier to get up to speed.

DX Cheetah. I wish I had discovered this when I had first started, instead of jumping ahead and trying to catch up...

A close 2nd choice to DX Archangel & the ever popular Roc

DX Shark. Anyone can usually pick one up and make it fly decent just starting out. They also aren't bad for a putter if you can only give them the one disc and have them play a hole tee to green.

DX Shark. Anyone can usually pick one up and make it fly decent just starting out. They also aren't bad for a putter if you can only give them the one disc and have them play a hole tee to green.

word. what i did during my first year. it works at first!

You want a DX Stingray. I played my first couple years with only a DX Stingray. It's easy to throw, comfortable to grip, very forgiving, and very very fun for a noob. It got me hooked on disc golf. I had one in my bag up until earlier this year. That's 20 year I played with one.

Star Leopard. Any mid should do. A buzz would probably be the best. Also hand them a putter to putt right off the bat. Many times the newer players get so attached to the first disc you give them that they feel uncomfortable putting with a putter which is a disservice to them IMO.

I'll add to the Midrange suggestions: Lightweight VIP Tursas or Warship. Or an OPTO Pearl for the kiddos...

Champion Ape, cause if you're any good , you're gonna get there anyways........:D

Hillarious! Actually was one of my first discs and I still bag it for max D FH shots. Maybe you're onto something.