What's your most supremely disappointing course played that had big potential?

I'll keep an eye out on the local pages for work days. I figured parts of the situation are out of the club's control.

Some are out of the Club's control. Others are just (my) competing priorities with Logan, the Creve Complex, and the STLO. I think I have a steady helper out there now, so we should see more consistent improvements.

The baskets at the "course" at T. R. Hughes in O'Fallon, MO would be best utilized in just about any park, seeing as these are in a drainage ditch with no signs or tees.
Or trees. :| I went there to say I'd been there, and the house by 9's basket was for sale. As I was finishing up I reflected on the experience for a minute and thought "If I bought that house and lived here, I still wouldn't play this course again."

Or trees. :| I went there to say I'd been there, and the house by 9's basket was for sale. As I was finishing up I reflected on the experience for a minute and thought "If I bought that house and lived here, I still wouldn't play this course again."

Ugh, haven't played it but at least it is close to Quail Ridge and Fort Zumwalt. Oh and the new Warrenton Pool Course is pretty neat.

Sunset Lakes in Sunset Hills, MO. was advertised as a soon to be championship caliber course on an old golf course-turned park. 2 years later, and there's still no signage, permanent tees, or consistent upkeep. And there were hardly any obstacles other than some water hazards to begin with.
Sunset Lakes (to the people I've talked about it with) has a funny type of disappointment. It seemed to have gotten people excited since it seemed like it could set up to be a DGPT-type course (really long with lots of OB), and the assumption that St. Louis was on its way to being a DGPT stop was going around. I don't think the Club actually said that was the plan, but a lot of people made that connection. That's a lot of hype to get, so the fact that the course now doesn't seem to be that much of a priority has disappointed people who didn't so much want to play they course but wanted it to be the place where they could watch the McBeth's and Wysocki's play.

Even though I've only played 117 courses, I would challenge anyone to convince me there is more supremely disappointing course than The Mountwood Monster, given it's potential. Navigation ? Forgetaboutit, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Richmond Hill. Though it may have been the circumstances.

In its early days, it appeared in the Top 10 on this site. Plus, it's a mountain course. Can't miss, right?

Well, about 10 years ago my brother and I daytripped up to Sugaree, with the intent of playing Richmond Hill on the way home. When we finished at Sugaree, our guide offered to get us on another private course nearby, but we declined, and went ahead with our plans.

Well, we got to Richmond Hill, and it was a steady light rain, and there were 4 redundant holes throwing over a valley (level throw, but you have to walk down and up hills to get to your lie), and, well, we quit before we finished. It wasn't bad but, under the circumstances, it was a letdown.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the private course we passed on was Blackjack, which I've never made it to, so I hold Richmond Hill responsible for that, too.

Brickyard was really solid when I played it years ago. I must've got there in it's prime, probably almost ten years ago now. I'll have to check it out next time I swing past there.

I just played it last weekend. Was in great condition. One of the closest courses to home.

It definitely does get overgrown at times. Seems like recently the upkeep has been better though.

I know I can't be alone in thinking Fairfield is pretty damn overrated in terms of it being the supposed highest rated course in IL.

The Canyons IMO is a lot better in terms of layout and obviously scenery. Don't get me wrong though, Fairfield Gold layout is pretty damn good but I still don't think its better than Canyons or even a few other ones I've played in the Chicagoland area.

I know I can't be alone in thinking Fairfield is pretty damn overrated in terms of it being the supposed highest rated course in IL.

The Canyons IMO is a lot better in terms of layout and obviously scenery. Don't get me wrong though, Fairfield Gold layout is pretty damn good but I still don't think its better than Canyons or even a few other ones I've played in the Chicagoland area.

Highest rated course in IL isn't saying all that much. Things have gotten way better in the last 10 years, but we didn't have much to build on.

For IL top 5, I'd go with:
Camden II
Northwood Black
Canyons
Fairfield
Meggido

2-5 could shift depending on which day you ask me and others could be swapped in for Meggido. Still haven't played Centralia. Even if I lived down the street from Northwoods, and as good as it is, I'd still only play it a few times a year. Too much of a beatdown and the rounds take too long to play regularly.

Highest rated course in IL isn't saying all that much. Things have gotten way better in the last 10 years, but we didn't have much to build on.

For IL top 5, I'd go with:
Camden II
Northwood Black
Canyons
Fairfield
Meggido

2-5 could shift depending on which day you ask me and others could be swapped in for Meggido. Still haven't played Centralia. Even if I lived down the street from Northwoods, and as good as it is, I'd still only play it a few times a year. Too much of a beatdown and the rounds take too long to play regularly.

I think the new 18 hole Fel-Pro RRR layout is one of the best ones in the Chicagoland area and I barely hear anyone ever talk about it or most haven't played it yet. Another underrated couple of courses out here are Eagle Ridge/Civic Center in Oswego and Margreth Reimer Reservoir in Palatine.

It's not a destination course by any means but Chicago seems to be cursed with a lack of quality courses even though there's like a million of them.

Canyons is weaker on routing although they can't do much about that based on the property configuration and the installed holes they have to thread together. Several blind and sometimes fluky water OB routes but overall excellent blue level, shorter level and some stretch gold level holes that are fun to play. I believe Matul was the original designer(?) and provided Sean a nice foundation to continue developing for elite events. (I apologize if Sean was also involved in the beginning.)

Fairfield is weaker on amenities (parking, shelter, pro shop) and needs more trees for more challenging shot-shaping on the open holes (which is slowly being addressed). Would like to see it eventually get to two tees and two baskets on at least holes 1-9. Not sure Canyons or Fairfield would be rated the top course in bordering states of Wisconsin, Indiana, Missouri or Iowa so they have some work to do if they want to rank higher on a national level.

Canyons is weaker on routing although they can't do much about that based on the property configuration and the installed holes they have to thread together. Several blind and sometimes fluky water OB routes but overall excellent blue level, shorter level and some stretch gold level holes that are fun to play. I believe Matul was the original designer(?) and provided Sean a nice foundation to continue developing for elite events. (I apologize if Sean was also involved in the beginning.)

Fairfield is weaker on amenities (parking, shelter, pro shop) and needs more trees for more challenging shot-shaping on the open holes (which is slowly being addressed). Would like to see it eventually get to two tees and two baskets on at least holes 1-9. Not sure Canyons or Fairfield would be rated the top course in bordering states of Wisconsin, Indiana, Missouri or Iowa so they have some work to do if they want to rank higher on a national level.

I agree. Not sure why IL suffers from a lack of top-rated courses but it would be pretty cool to be the first person to design a nationally recognized course in the state.

Sunset Lakes (to the people I've talked about it with) has a funny type of disappointment. It seemed to have gotten people excited since it seemed like it could set up to be a DGPT-type course (really long with lots of OB), and the assumption that St. Louis was on its way to being a DGPT stop was going around. I don't think the Club actually said that was the plan, but a lot of people made that connection.

We had a lot of success recently relative to new Course installations. Some were well funded (the Bunker), others follow more traditional course development timeline (Sunset).

Winter is a great time for course work. I expect to see a lot of improvements this winter. I'm not sure StL could host a DGPT event... We certainly have the infrastructure now, but (I think) there is still a ways to go before we get there.

The STLO success had been a good indicator were on the right path, but time will tell.

I agree. Not sure why IL suffers from a lack of top-rated courses but it would be pretty cool to be the first person to design a nationally recognized course in the state.
I don't think any of the top IL courses are private whereas the top courses in neighboring states are private and/or pay to play (Lemon Lake). It may be a random occurrence although I suspect higher property values may have a lot to do with the lack of top-level private courses in IL, especially Chicagoland.

Outside of some areas near rivers, our land SUCKS for dg.

Seriously, a drive through central Illinois tells you all you need to know. Flat without much forest land. Peoria and Quad cities actually have good terrain and both have clusters of very good courses. Not trying to discount the work of those two dg communities. Just saying that the rest of the state doesn't have the same canvas to paint on.

Outside of some areas near rivers, our land SUCKS for dg.

Seriously, a drive through central Illinois tells you all you need to know. Flat without much forest land. Peoria and Quad cities actually have good terrain and both have clusters of very good courses. Not trying to discount the work of those two dg communities. Just saying that the rest of the state doesn't have the same canvas to paint on.

Having lived in both Central Illinois and Chicagoland, as well spending a decent amount of time in the QC, this is absolutely the truth. Imo courses like West Lake, Camden II, Eagle Point, McNaughton, Northwood and Wildlife are on awesome terrains carved out by the nearby rivers. Best landscape in Chicagoland is probably Canyons, Highland and West Park. which also happen to all be close to rivers...

Even though I've only played 117 courses, I would challenge anyone to convince me there is more supremely disappointing course than The Mountwood Monster, given it's potential. Navigation ? Forgetaboutit, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Hey, I am spearheading the repair of The Mountwood Monster, within the next year or so we will have many improvements to the course.

Hey, I am spearheading the repair of The Mountwood Monster, within the next year or so we will have many improvements to the course.
i was there a few months back and hoping someone puts some time and effort into it

def way higher potential than is being utilized

forgot about this thread and didnt know mando felt that strongly about this course (or anyone mention it at all)

but yah current state is thats a garbage course

Latest posts