• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When was your first Ace?

Brandywine Del. with a champion patent pend. aero

My first ace was at Brandywine Delaware in the late 80's. I had made the final 9, and hit hole #3 (239') in a constant 30+ mph wind. Even better I won a pole hole. They were trying to give it out for a few tournaments. The players had to take a vote during the awards ceremony. The reason was that if you got a 3 on the beast (a 700'+ tough hole) you also won the pole hole. A guy got a 3 on that hole. Audience reaction gave it to the me with the ace. As they should have. :D

I bagged my first ace today at Bailey Rd Park in Cornelius, NC. It's a short beginner 9 hole course. I hit it on hole #2, it's a 155' hole with a couple of small trees in the way. I got a gust of wind from the heavens. When I released it I knew it was gonna be pin high wide right. But the wind kicked up mid flight and threw it about 20 feet left, went through the branches and ching!
The crazy thing to me was, on hole #1 I hit chains with the same disc and it spit it out. The disc in question was a 167g dx roc.

woohoo!

im still without my first ace, i hit some metal before but nothing more, if anyone has any pointers for getting aces ill gladly listen. like stuff that you wouldnt do normally but what you would do to get an ace

I've had a bunch over the years but one I remember vividly may have been my first. It was my first Virginia State Championship (1991 - Wham-O 91 mold). We had been doing what you do at VA States on Saturday night and due to my Saturday play, figured I missed the Sunday cut. Well, long story short, was late, made the cut, got to the tee on #13 just as start was yelled, I was first on the card stepped up and launched it at the tree target. Suddenly, the two guys I was with start yelling and jumping around me. I was clueless!! It's even more special now since there is a plaque to "Big Daddy" Dave Griffin on that tree now. Miss Ya, Big Daddy!!

My first ace was in July '09 at Staring Lake in Eden Prairie, MN. It was on hole 1, which is a 170 ft downhill shot, with a tree hanging over the fairway and woods on the back and left side of the basket. Threw a Pro-D Buzzz and it looked like it was in slow motion as it floated to the basket. I freaked out.

Second one came a couple weeks later at Bryant Lake, also in Eden Prairie. I hit it on hole 16 with a Lat 64 Striker that I found earlier that day on hole 17. Only threw it twice before that. I was planning on selling the disc, but of course I couldn't after that. :)

I started playing back in '96, but there have been several seasons where I didn't play. I've easily played more this year than the rest of my life combined, and just recently became "serious" about DG.

I had been playing about a year.

What was cool about it was that I called it before I threw. I was in the zone and could feel it and I just knew I was going to hit the ace before I even threw. I threw straight at the basket and the disc did not turn or fade but went straight in. Later in that same round I hit chains but bounced out on two other holes. The next day I hit chains on a 350' hole with a teebird and then imediately threw another teebird and hit the cumberbun. That's about the time I quit playing for about five weeks due to a back injury and my accuracy is not back to that level yet.

The 20th of June this year. I had not been playing long. I was showing my wife the game and what the different discs are used for. When we got to the #1 tee pad she said for me to go first and she will watch my throw. Wouldn't you know it, 180 footer right into the chains. Two guys were coming around the corner from #9 when it hit. Great feeling. We laughed about it and I told her it will probably never happen to me again. A few weeks later we were finishing up #9 when two teens were playing on #1. The first kid threw his disc short. The second threw his disc and it hit the ground in the same general area as the first, but his skipped up and and grabbed the chains. Pretty cool stroke of luck to witness.

I hit my first one this afternoon ~ Hole 12 at Lake Stevens, WA. ~ RHBH 165 DX Valkryrie ~ everything about the throw from my reach back to snap felt perfect and the disc faded slightly at the end and hit the basket hard ~ It was beautiful!
I've been playing for 1 year.

im still without my first ace, i hit some metal before but nothing more, if anyone has any pointers for getting aces ill gladly listen. like stuff that you wouldnt do normally but what you would do to get an ace

I think you just have to concentrate on making a good, fluid throw. You have to have enough power to reach the basket though, that's a given. It's been too long since my first and only ace. I thought I had one today though dag nabbit.

Latest posts