• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which company will be gone by 2014

Which will be out of business by end of 2014

• Innova

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Discraft

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • MVP

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Vibram

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Dynamic disc

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Westside

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Lat 64

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Lightning

Votes: 139 55.8%
  • Gateway

Votes: 31 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 91 36.5%

• Total voters
With the fail of the Epic, Arobie might be out. I haven't heard much from ABC recently. That Canadian company made some new disc, too bad they make better Ultimate discs. There are a lot of fringe companies that are just not doing enough. The real disc golf companies are putting money into the sport. Those are the companies that will stick.

With the fail of the Epic, Arobie might be out. I haven't heard much from ABC recently. That Canadian company made some new disc, too bad they make better Ultimate discs. There are a lot of fringe companies that are just not doing enough. The real disc golf companies are putting money into the sport. Those are the companies that will stick.

ABC just created a wide-rimmed driver at the end of 2012 after a two year hiatus. The thing with Aerobie is that they make more then golf discs.

Wait. Innova is producing the official disc now? When did this happen?

"Official" disc status varies, depending on what league or org is at question. I think Innova recently sealed a deal with one of the Ultimate groups, Discraft continues as the official disc with another Ulty group, the one with the ESPN3 contract, I think.

Did not have time to read entire thread, the question I have may have already been asked and answered.

What makes the person with the OP think that one of the companies will be forced out?

btw....I voted "other"

Did not have time to read entire thread, the question I have may have already been asked and answered.

What makes the person with the OP think that one of the companies will be forced out?

btw....I voted "other"

The OP said he didn't necessarily think any company would go out this year, just wanted to start a conversation.

I vote Discgolfplanet.tv, which is sad as I know one of the people involved.

None of the above...

Why would any of these have to fail? As long as their growth rates don't exceed their business plans by too much, there is room for all of them. Our sport is EXPLODING in growth. Look at our friends in the ball golf industry... we have:

Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade, Nike, Mizuno, Cleveland, Cobra, Wilson, Adams, Top Flight, Precept, Srixon, Odyssey, Tour Edge, Golfsmith, Hogan, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Kasco, Knight, Nicklaus, Orlimar, Ping, Ram, Pinnacle, Sonartec, Yonex, and I could go on for hours... those are just off the top of my head. There are many other fringe players.

My point is nobody has to fail as long as they meet their own expectations and don't over-extend themselves. Some say Prodigy might be going too quickly on hype and backing too many players, but their plastic is selling out everywhere and is getting rave reviews. So I think they'll be fine honestly especially since they'll continue to have winners since they have the top talent.

I actually predict we'll see even more new vendors on the market soon (PhysicalFlight is rumored to have discs in the works). So I think the only potential failure here is this thread... :D

Prodigy sells its discs in quantities of 25

So ordering a quantity of 2, gets you 50 discs

It's different from other manufacturers. For selling to the sports stores like Academy and Dicks this works well. But small retailers like PIAS or smoke shops cant afford to order large quantities.

Thanks, that's what i thought.

So, as I mentioned before, it seems like they favor big box stores and not small shops.

that's interesting, my local place has some and they must just be selling that fast, because they didn't have 50 when I was there. They had drivers then they mids, albeit at different times and they were not overpriced so they're getting them wholesale as far as I would think.

You might be surprised at how many people still buy them.

in 1 year i highly doubt any of them. But here is the bottom line. Lightning STILL isn't out of business, so everyone else has really high chances of sticking around.

Lightning is surviving on the backs of rec players and sales of practice baskets. They're not going to get to #1 or even #5 doing that, but it will keep them afloat.

I might point out that a previous (and likely still would be if it weren't marked extinct) #1 course on this website is set up with DB-5 baskets.

maybe then they will make a legit air jordan branded disc golf shoe that will give me an extra 6 inches on my jump putts.