• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are cones not the official target of the pdga?

timj5304

Double Eagle Member
Curious why these did not make it, overall the best target that requires you to hit a sweet spot to hit a putt or an ace, not catch the last chain on the edge to get a lucky drop. I am sure most of you do not even know what these are. They sadly we're never approved as a pdga target.

Untitled by timj5304, on Flickr

Because they're hideous?

Also, personally I'd rather hear the rattle and clash of chains than a *THUNK* or whatever noise that might echo out

Seems like chains are not only more efficient for the game, but more practical for manufacturers. Probably why they were never approved.

Cones don't have the stopping power of chains... And yeah, what he (B3NDER) said.

I can say that I have NEVER seen that before, but they pretty much make aces near impossible. I have none with the current baskets and I sure as heck would never get one with that design!

I honestly don't think the cone is unattractive, but the lid on top of it sure is. Yuck.

That said, chains are not attractive either. I certainly was not drawn into the game because of the disc catchers. The only beautiful things in this game are the discs, bags and courses.

The individual in that picture has 3 cone aces this year during winter golf and hit cone numerous other times. At the same time he's better than I am so that will happen.

Pretty sure the company that made the cones went out of business before the PDGA existed and had Tech Standards for target approval. Also at the time, the only basket accepted for tournament play was the original DGA Pole Hole (Mach I) primarily since DGA was the PDGA until 1983-4 and DGA held the patent on the target design.

They are loud. Rick Rothstein has one at his shop Disc Golf World in Kansas City.

Pretty sure the company that made the cones went out of business before the PDGA existed and had Tech Standards for target approval. Also at the time, the only basket accepted for tournament play was the original DGA Pole Hole (Mach I) primarily since DGA was the PDGA until 1983-4 and DGA held the patent on the target design.

I believe there was an early dga basket that featured cones also.

They should be grandfathered in

I believe there was an early dga basket that featured cones also.
I doubt it. There were both plastic cones (mostly portables) and metal cones (mostly permanent) but Ed was locked in on chains only. If he had a cone it may have been in the shop to study and test it.