• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are lid discs taboo?

ViolaBouquet

Eagle Member
I finally broke and bought a Rattler a couple months ago. It is now my main putter, and my very accurate 150' approach disc. Can someone please tell me why it is so taboo to throw a lid disc? The people that I know who has one seem to rave that everyone should carry a lid disc. Is there something that screams 'noob' when someone is chuckin' a Birdie?

I have never seen someone get **** for throwing one on the course. I know a few people that use them well.

I think it's more on the forums that you see scorn. Or perceived scorn anyway. The only time I saw someone on the course make fun of a disc I threw was when they laughed at my Aerobie Arrow, which looks like a funky paint bucket lid.

As long as you like what you throw, and it works for you, don't let anybody tell you what you're throwing is "wrong." There is no wrong.

I wouldn't say it's taboo. However, the acceptance of lids seems to comes in stages:

First stage - ignorance. It's just a disc, right?
Second stage - denial. That's just a Frisbee, not a disc. My Groove has to be better.
Third stage - realization. Hey. These things are pretty cool.

I hate lids for putting. I love them for approach shots. I carry a Sonic right now. Both of my daughters carry a Birdie. There is a n00b factor to them; I get away with it because I'm old and people sort of expect old guys to carry dumb stuff.

I didn't carry a lid for years. Touch approach shot gave me fits, especially touch shots that needed to finish right. I either threw my putter too softly and it came back left, or I would throw it harder to make it stay turned and it would go way past where I was aiming. A few years ago I was playing Superclass with a Zephyr and had a shot like that; it was so easy to put it where I wanted it to land that it seemed like cheating. I've had a lid in the bag ever since.

Seriously. I've played with a lid, and I've seen others play with lids.

There's an amateur world champ in our club. He has a Birdie, and slams putts with it just about every. single. time.

Can't really talk smack about what he throws when he's using it to wipe the floor with you. :p

I carry and throw a Zephyr, and I could care less what others think. I play DG for fun and I ain't gonna let no hater get in the way of that!

It seems like the "cool" thing to do on here to hate on them (which in all honesty, there's not a lot of smack talk about them on here anymore). I find that people joke about my Polecat until I throw it. :D

I wouldn't say it's taboo. However, the acceptance of lids seems to comes in stages:

First stage - ignorance. It's just a disc, right?
Second stage - denial. That's just a Frisbee, not a disc. My Groove has to be better.
Third stage - realization. Hey. These things are pretty cool.

Exactly.

My main putter is a Birdie. I'm not a pro, but was a 950-rated player in 2006, the last year I played in tournaments, and it's my short game that allowed me to at least finish halfway up the ladder in Am-1 tournaments. I've never been able to drive much past 300'.

If there isn't a stiff headwind, I'm pretty decent with my Birdie. I use my FLX Challenger if it's pretty breezy. But other than that, the Birdie feels right in in my hand and it goes straight where I throw it. If my form is on, it is going in the middle of the chains from a line drive from 30' and beyond. So I use it.

Disc Golf, at least back when I was a burgeoning player in the '90s, wasn't the kind of activity where people worried about how cool they looked. If a Polecat or Birdie or Rattler or Lightning Dauntless works for you, use it!

I think a lot of the people who hate on lids are in a phase where they are maybe just getting serious about the game and they think lids aren't serious. Jolly Launcher Terns, Volts, D4s--those are serious but lids are not.

They'll get over it. In the meantime, you will school them with your Rattler.

From what I've seen at least, you're more likely to get clout than criticism if you're packing a Zephyr or a Condor. (If you throw it well).

I played a round with an old Grand Master Pro and he upsidedown turbo putted every time with an old Birdie. He made everything under 50', and banged out a few longer ones, truly amazing. My wife and one of my friends also use a Birdie. No shame in their game!

I played a round with an old Grand Master Pro and he upsidedown turbo putted every time with an old Birdie. He made everything under 50', and banged out a few longer ones, truly amazing. My wife and one of my friends also use a Birdie. No shame in their game!

Hmmmmmmm...this should teach us something, Bill.... Although I may be too dumb to figure it out lol

Rattler is money, i get some looks here and there. Or a "what the hell is this?" When someone picks up a gimme from 150' shot, lol. "Feels like a frisbee, i bet its flippy as hell", nope, jut straight.

Greg Hosfeld putts with some huge old Frisbee-looking disc....and putts well.

I've been putting with a birdie for many years without a clue that it was taboo or revealed noob tendencies. I thought it was just eccentric which, as others have hinted, I'm of an age to have license to be. (I get some ribbing from a couple of regular tournament foes who refer to it as a "dog dish"....but they putt with blowflies, which I refer to as "round washcloths").

I think you people are getting really confused with DGCR and the real world. I've never been on a course in the States where someone has given even one iota of thought to what I'm throwing. I'm more likely to ask what someone is throwing than the other way around. Also, I don't see where people are saying that DGCR users "HATE LIDS!"....all I see on here is people praising discs like that.

Go ahead, look at any MVP Poll on here and you'll see the number two requested disc, without fail, is a lid. So I really don't understand why you think they are taboo. People in the real world couldn't care less and people on here love discs like that.

I think you people are getting really confused with DGCR and the real world. I've never been on a course in the States where someone has given even one iota of thought to what I'm throwing. I'm more likely to ask what someone is throwing than the other way around. Also, I don't see where people are saying that DGCR users "HATE LIDS!"....all I see on here is people praising discs like that.

Go ahead, look at any MVP Poll on here and you'll see the number two requested disc, without fail, is a lid. So I really don't understand why you think they are taboo. People in the real world couldn't care less and people on here love discs like that.

Long before you joined, DGCR still existed. During that time, lid-style putters received very little love. The stock joke answer in threads was Polecat. Very similar situation as your angst over the definition of discing down.

People always said they wanted a mini from MVP too. Now that there's one out there, people don't care. I'd bet money that the same thing would happen with a lid. I'd also venture to say that 90% of the people voting lid in those polls have probably never thrown one.