• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Why don't manufacturers include disc run no. in their stamps?

Yeah. But then MVP made first run stamps and LE stamps and all manner of nonsense anyway. So....

Yeah. But then MVP made first run stamps and LE stamps and all manner of nonsense anyway. So....

There's always a collector market for first edition stuff and that's why I like to designate them with LE stamps that, even if they don't say first run, delineate *some* of the discs from an initial run.

With the effort they put into consistent runs (where nobody is perfect but effort and mold build makes a difference) there is less chance for good/bad or normal/freaky runs, so the limited stamps make some uniquely desirable discs.

As I've said before I consider myself the guy who brought run numbers back to MILL because I loved it and fought hard for it. Then with DN we had the opportunity to create unique stamp editions of a product that everyone had. The way I approach MVP/Axiom's limited stamps and lack of run delineation is based on my experiences with MILL and DN. Best of both worlds is what I'm aiming for.

Personally I have specific run preferences for my Innnova/Millennium stuff but can tell them by look and feel, and trust that more than stamped numbers. These days I don't see much MVP product besides what I get for work needs, but I don't bag any special stamps and I usually only throw the first run of a release cuz that's what I got fo free.

Adding a date code, batch code, or mold number to an injection molded tool is very simple, you wouldn't have to add the info to the stamp. The reasoning behind it is to locate defective products and determine whether the operator caused the issue, got a bad batch of plastic, or if a particular mold on the tool is wearing out (assuming multiple molds per injection).

Adding a date code, batch code, or mold number to an injection molded tool is very simple, you wouldn't have to add the info to the stamp. The reasoning behind it is to locate defective products and determine whether the operator caused the issue, got a bad batch of plastic, or if a particular mold on the tool is wearing out (assuming multiple molds per injection).

So you're saying they could have a code or date on the mold itself which would be easy for them to change run to run or day to day and wouldn't cost them anything to change? I guess that's probably how Latitude64 embosses their weights now that I come to think of it. That sounds awesome; too bad they have no business incentive to do it (and possibly incentives NOT to do it as others in this thread have said).

Yup, it takes a min to change and would be a slight increase(1 to 3%) in the cost of the tool. Usually the tool maker doesn't even charge for this feature if you call it out on the print. You just mark on the print where they will add this feature so that it will be mostly hidden from the customer while the product is being used.

DateCodeInjection.jpg

the discmania information helps. problem is by the time you find out that run is the run you want you have already bought a **** load of runs you really didn't want. and if that is the run you want by the time you determine that they have already sold out of that run.

So yeah it would be greatly helpful. But will they do it....no. unless I start my disc company and yes I would make it part of having a superior product - relevant and necessary information.

I'm not gonna lie. What millennium does sounds like a great idea. But, I'm a little intimidated by all the numbers and letter combinations.

I'm sure when you dive in it is understandable. But I've just never had experience or (m)any friends throw them.

All the ql jls lf olf 1.1.2? I just don't know where to start...

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie. What millennium does sounds like a great idea. But, I'm a little intimidated by all the numbers and letter combinations.

I'm sure when you dive in it is understandable. But I've just never had experience or (m)any friends throw them.

All the ql jls lf olf 1.1.2? I just don't know where to start...

Doesn't davidrboy throw lots of Millennium? I thought you knew each other IRL, which reminds me we've still never played a round together. Probably all the snow on the ground right now wouldn't make this a good weekend to try though. ;)

Doesn't davidrboy throw lots of Millennium? I thought you knew each other IRL, which reminds me we've still never played a round together. Probably all the snow on the ground right now wouldn't make this a good weekend to try though. ;)

Yeah he may be the only one. But he plays allot east side and I am west side so it's hard to meet up. I'm sure the discs are great, maybe the best? Haven't really met anyone else. It could be a regional thing too. In California nobody threw them and they didn't sell them either. But way more people threw legacy there too than here, so..

Jerry has them at his shop and I've taken a quick glance, but like I said before I just don't know what stands for what with millennium unfortunately, cause I'll throw anything if it feels good and flies good.

Btw. Greenways probably going to flood big time with all this snow this next week huh? Damn beavers...

Yeah he may be the only one. But he plays allot east side and I am west side so it's hard to meet up. I'm sure the discs are great, maybe the best? Haven't really met anyone else. It could be a regional thing too. In California nobody threw them and they didn't sell them either. But way more people threw legacy there too than here, so..

Jerry has them at his shop and I've taken a quick glance, but like I said before I just don't know what stands for what with millennium unfortunately, cause I'll throw anything if it feels good and flies good.

Btw. Greenways probably going to flood big time with all this snow this next week huh? Damn beavers...

Yeah I don't really know that much about Millennium either other than some of the history. I've tried a Brinster Sentinel, Scorpiuses, and an OLS before. The Scorpius was the only one that really stuck (comes in and out of the bag still). Jerry's shop (and the now defunct Huk Lab shop) are the only retailers I think I've ever seen carry Millennium other than online.

Do you play Greenway? I used to play it all the time at lunch since my work is literally 1 mile from there. The park authorities rerouting the course because of the beavers and all the flooding kind of ruined the course, but I still go there every now and then if I'm itching to get out at lunchtime. If you've played it much during weekday lunch hours in the last 6 years we've probably seen each other at some point there.

Would run numbers be a turnoff for casual players? Too much info.

I'm in California and I throw Millennium. So does one playing buddy. They are hard to find at brick and mortar stores though, for sure.

Depends on how casual you mean. I don't think most chuckers and noobs would really care or notice.

Semi serious

I know I waited longer than I should have to get into gateway back when I started. I was turned off by the 10,000 plastic options.

Run numbers are another headache if you're trying to get into a brand. I'm not saying we shouldn't have it, but maybe it's one of the cons.

I like all the options we have today but it must be a nightmare for a new player looking to dive in.

The first discs I ever bought were 2 wizards a buzz and a qolf cause of some recommendations on dgr. The fact that the olf had 1.2 on it made me research what the difference was and I found this site so I think it could be good for new players and seasoned who want to buy the particular run they like

Don't get me started on gateway I felt all of the wizards at gggt looking for the stiffest and the hardest ones said soft....That confused the poop outta me

My construction lab has a huge curing room for concrete samples to be stored that holds specific temperature and humidity targets and ranges with a varible of about +/-3 degrees/percent.

How hard would it be to control these two when molding discs?

Here's a legit question: How come Discraft and Innova don't brand the weight of the disc into the bottom of the disc like Dynamic, Lat 64 and Westside do? On many used discs you have zero clue what the weight is because either the ink has worn off or a sticker fell off.

Westside and Dynamic also have the name of the disc molded on the bottom. Very helpful for when you get those tourny stamped discs and have no clue what they are.

Here's a legit question: How come Discraft and Innova don't brand the weight of the disc into the bottom of the disc like Dynamic, Lat 64 and Westside do?
cuz the Swedes are using robots at the mold machine where everyone else has a human weighing and marking the disc after it's pulled from the single or final shot

Latest posts