• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WHY is it so addictive??

Yeah That's why I'm in the woods to haha. Stupid phone butchered last post.

Oh man. My "i" key is broken on mine. Never realized how many words I use with i in them. That six (now seven) not counting typing "i". And now it's 8. Damn it, 9. TEN!

Its addictive because you get to meet a lot of cool people. I've met very few disc golfers that I didn't like. You get to talk about the sport, which is always cool. I enjoy learning new discs, talking about discs, watching them fly, hearing chains, going for an ace run, learning new throwing techniques, etc. I learn something about the game almost every time I play. Its addictive because its f***king awesome. Nuff said.

I've pondered on this for quite a while. I played every sport I could when I was in jr. high/high school, but I never got hooked on something like this. There's a couple of reasons that I think it's as addictive as it is:

1) You can play/practice alone. You don't have to have a team with you, and you don't need a court/special field to practice. If you have a basket, you can even practice just by walking out your back door.

2) It's hard, and it's easy to see the players that are good at it. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really bad about "If he can do it, then so can I". When I started, and saw guys parking holes >400', I just HAD to figure out how it could be done. I'm still working on it.

3) It's rewarding enough to keep you interested. Even when you're starting out, you drop the occasional 60' shot, and it's just awesome. You can't wait to do it again.

4) It's easily accessible. Anybody can play this game, and it's cheap. My wife is ok with it on the weekends, because I take all of the boys, and she gets some time alone.

5) Information-gasm. I'm a computer programmer, and I love metrics on anything and everything. Each disc has flight ratings, and they're all different. The geeks who memorized the 2nd Edition Monster Manual especially love this aspect.

6) It's an excuse to exercise. I could go for a walk, or I could walk through the park while throwing plastic. Guess which one I prefer?

^ yeah I forgot about the individual aspect of the game. I have always played team sports but these days things are too hectic to really be involved with a team. I am the type person that if I am not doing something active then I get cranky, can't sleep, and just generally don't feel well

^ yeah I forgot about the individual aspect of the game. I have always played team sports but these days things are too hectic to really be involved with a team. I am the type person that if I am not doing something active then I get cranky, can't sleep, and just generally don't feel well

I hear ya on the cranky ****ty feeling if not active.
For me it was super addicted in 4 days. Got my first Acres 4th round I played. Started a website selling discs on day 15.(quazit.com) if anyone remembers that short lived dream of mine...

For it's being outdoors and getting a bit of exercise. What keeps me coming back is those beautiful shots where you just hit a perfect line, or when you nail those 50' jump putts.

For it's being outdoors and getting a bit of exercise. What keeps me coming back is those beautiful shots where you just hit a perfect line, or when you nail those 50' jump putts.

Bingo. Most of the shots we make will not be perfect or do exactly what we want (unless we are pros which most of us are not). Hitting that one beautiful shot and getting that feeling that you just mastered the disc, beat the trees, and rode the wind like a bronco buster makes up for all the times a disc leaves the teebox full of promise only to get in with a bad crowd of trees and come limping home. I've had rough times where I've had 3,4, and 5+ bad rounds in a row and forgotten them all with a single birdie. It's addicting for the same reason that gambling is addictive. The rush of winning makes you forget all the losing and the potential to get an awesome shot off makes the losing seem inconsequential.

Every time you throw a disc and see it do exactly what you wanted it to do, it's a WIN. Even when it deviates, watching it fly gives hope that the next time, it'll do right.

In terms of wins per hour, nothing else comes close :)

Mostly for all the reasons above but here's my particular slant, in no particular order:

The most fun I've ever had being frustrated.

I love being outdoors.

My wife loves it as much as I do so we have a common form of recreation we can enjoy together.

Its free.

I love competition either with others or just trying to best my previous outing.

Its just so cool to watch them fly.

Meeting new folks.

Playing in new places.

At least for now its still an under the radar thing to do. I've always liked going against the grain

For me, its watching the flight of your disc going exactly where you wanted it to go. I'm a hacker at this game, never in 3 years have I shot a round of par or better. (Best round +2) I throw a lot of crappy shots during a round and maybe a dozen or so really good shots. And its only the good shots that I take home with me. The good shots make it all worthwhile......and addictive!

There is just something about it. I think for me it is just something somewhat physical that I will always be trying to get better at.

Also, I had underestimated disc golf for the longest time (not against it or bashing it but just thinking it was easy.) The first disc I threw was a champion starfire that I had found in a creek while running at my local disc golf course...I tried to throw it like a frisbee and was just amazed how stable the disc was and then realized that it actually required skill..it intrigued me.

Last edited:
It combines two of my favorite things: Discs (yes, I'm a plastic addict) and the woods. Its excersize, a social activity, and a lifelong sport. In short, its awesome!

Latest posts