• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why No Relief from Harmful Plants?

littleshopwestend460.jpg

At events I TD, I usually grant casual relief from Poison Ivy.

At Stoney Hill, we grant relief from thorns.....

Actually, we grant permission to damage them, anywhere they're encountered, on the theory that we intended to remove them but haven't got to it yet.

Holler in the Hills has that same policy, makes a lot of sense for a private course (or really any course) to have players help with maintaining things like that.

* Not everyone is allergic to the same things. Most are allergic to poison ivy but if I'm not, do I get relief to? I played with someone recently who claimed to be allergic to Virginia creeper as well; does he get relief? If he does, do I?

Virginia Creeper is not a poisonous or rash causing plant. It is completely harmless. They must have found some with poison ivy/oak in it and didn't realize it. Also it isn't really that hard to tell which plants are poison ivy, poison oak, or virginia creeper if you know what you're looking for. To those with allergies to the two poisonous plants mentioned above, here are what each looks like:
Poison Ivy
poison-ivy.jpg

Poison Oak
PoisonOakLeaves.jpg

Virginia Creeper
hpaqu2-lf10885.JPG

I personally am not allergic to poison ivy, but I still don't just go blindly tromping through brushy areas. Also I usually identify what is or isn't poison ivy to people I'm shooting with as many of them can't tell which is which. If you fall into this category, look at the pics above and google image the plants. Hope this helps some of you who may not know what to look for.

I don't seem to be too allergic to it myself. But I do have some on my leg right now. It popped up tuesday/wednesday. I have been keeping some kind of benadryl cream on it, but it hasn't seemed to to anything to it yet. Honestly, I am not even sure that it is poison ivy, but I don't know what else it could be. I don't really have much of any kind of rash at all.

Anybody got any good tips on what to do once you have a itching?

Another guy here who was seemingly immune to the effects of urushiol until, suddenly, I wasn't. Went 47 years without every having the least reaction. In consequence, my mother-in-law always had me help pull poison ivy from her ornamental plants that she didn't want to spray around. Did that again Memorial Day weekend, and ended up with both legs and parts of my arms broken out in painful itchy rashes, some of which developed into open sores. No fun at all.

I will generally try to make sure other players in my group are aware of places that have poison ivy, especially on my home course -- there aren't that many patches of it, but there's so much kudzu, virginia creeper, and stuff that's innocuous, people tend to forget to keep an eye out.

Isn't it an unsafe lie?

no, and unsafe lie is when you tell your wife/gf that you were out with friends when you weren't..

I've never gotten PO when I lived in Michigan and there isn't very much here in Colorado, we just substitute cactus for it here.

Another guy here who was seemingly immune to the effects of urushiol until, suddenly, I wasn't. Went 47 years without every having the least reaction. In consequence, my mother-in-law always had me help pull poison ivy from her ornamental plants that she didn't want to spray around. Did that again Memorial Day weekend, and ended up with both legs and parts of my arms broken out in painful itchy rashes, some of which developed into open sores. No fun at all.

I will generally try to make sure other players in my group are aware of places that have poison ivy, especially on my home course -- there aren't that many patches of it, but there's so much kudzu, virginia creeper, and stuff that's innocuous, people tend to forget to keep an eye out.

Same thing happened to my dad, he wasn't allergic to it til' he was 40-45 years old.

It seems to me that rubbing vodka on my arms and legs shortly after contact prevents me from developing symptoms. In casual rounds, I can pull out a mini bottle during the round and apply immediately. In a tournament, I have to wait until between rounds.

My spouse says that when he gets poison ivy, he scratches it open and pours vodka on it and rubs the alcohol in and it goes away fast.

It seems to me that rubbing vodka on my arms and legs shortly after contact prevents me from developing symptoms. In casual rounds, I can pull out a mini bottle during the round and apply immediately. In a tournament, I have to wait until between rounds.

My spouse says that when he gets poison ivy, he scratches it open and pours vodka on it and rubs the alcohol in and it goes away fast.

Makes sense -- the urushiol is an oil, and the alcohol is a solvent that helps strip the oil off the skin. Water alone doesn't do it, since oils repel water. Dishwashing liquids like Dawn that are designed to break up oils also work well. My wife's very sensitive to poison ivy, and keeps a bottle of Dawn in the shower to use when she suspects she may have been in contact with it.

I bet rubbing alcohol would work as well. Or maybe hand sanitizer since that's like 60+% ethanol. I've also heard acetone works well.

Anyway, my point is: vodka's for drinking!

Virginia Creeper is not a poisonous or rash causing plant. It is completely harmless. They must have found some with poison ivy/oak in it and didn't realize it. Also it isn't really that hard to tell which plants are poison ivy, poison oak, or virginia creeper if you know what you're looking for.

The person claiming the allergy to Virginia Creeper knew the difference between the plants. I'd never heard of such an allergy but, since I once knew someone allergic to grass, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Which illustrates part of the problem granting relief from dangerous plants. Would those immune to poison ivy get relief if it improved their lie? Would the guy with the rare allergy to Virginia Creeper get relief, though almost everyone else doesn't? Would he need a doctor's statement confirming his unusual allergy to those of us who doubt it?

So if I understand this rule correctly, you get up to 5 meters relieve without a penalty stroke ?

I wanted to apply this rule in a position that was not unsafe or dangerous, but just gross. I landed under a tree with realy low branches and my only option was to go to a knee and throw out of a more or less lying position. The only problem was that under that tree seemed to be the local dog toilet and the ground was literaly covered with dog poop.

I asked my group if I can have a 1 meter relief that I dont have to knee down into a big pile of dog poo, but they didnt wanna hear anything about it. Yes, it may not be in the rules, but I think it would be a good thing to add for a gentlemen sport.

No, no relief without penalty. Unless you can convince someone that "dangerous animals" includes toxic animal deposits.