• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Winter driver (grippy plastic, Teebird-like)

Thanks for the many replies already.

I do like a lot going lightweight. In winter I don't want to carry my bag. Ideally I only take two discs with me: an allround driver and my putter, maybe one towel but nothing more. I want to move fast in order to stay warm. I don't to think about discs and stuff, but simply throw the same driver from each tee (except for the odd shortie holes), then one or two putter throws ... and on to the next hole. With snow on the ground, I like to run towards the landing are already when the discs's still flying to minimize searching times. A bag and towels all slow me down.

I don't really care so much for the specific disc I throw, I just want one that fits my desired flight characteristics. If I have to wipe only half as much or only use my finger to get the snow out, but still can throw a decent drive, then I have what I want.

The DX Banshee suggestion sounds good.

Has anyone experiences with Jawbreaker in wet conditions or other baseline plastic in Discraft fairway drivers? The lettering on the inside of the rim would be a bonus of Discraft discs in my scenario, I think.

JB is great when wet. Don't bother with Pro-D. Midgrade (Pro, X, etc.) plastics seem to worl nicely as a more durable version of baseline, while still drying off quite well. X Undertaker would seem to fit your bill pretty well.

How hard is it to get your MOLF dry? That would be my main idea, besides just throwing DX Rocs or an X Undertaker.

DX Teebirds, Thunderbirds and Eagles are all good candidates. I prefer Eagles but seasoned Teebirds bomb.

I play a lot like you in the winter, no bag, 3 or four discs in hand and I go throw

DX is cheap and will fit the bill for what you want to do. No need to make it any more complicated, buy one of each and call it a day.

discraft baseline is arguably the worst baseline of them all

seriously dont waste your time with it

I'm gonna find out. I grabbed a couple D line Quakes to see how they wear in over the winter. Bagged one for a few rounds and it's knicked up some but no noticeable difference in flight. Started out a bit less OS than a premium Quake.

D has great grip and feel but I'd never consider it for a driver.

DX Teebirds, DX Banshee, DX Firebird, DX/KC Rocs, JB Zone, DX Aviar = Winter bag in rainy Oregon.
If DX Teebird loses stability too quickly. Buy 2. Two baseline = 1 premium. Should last you through the snowy months.

I'm gonna find out. I grabbed a couple D line Quakes to see how they wear in over the winter. Bagged one for a few rounds and it's knicked up some but no noticeable difference in flight. Started out a bit less OS than a premium Quake.

D has great grip and feel but I'd never consider it for a driver.

i bag a pro d buzz but i wouldnt recommend it to anyone unless they know what theyre getting themselves into

i wish i woulda taken photos of my beat up pro d buzzes over the years the warped pieces of beauty

i would never want pro d for a driver either

JB is great when wet. Don't bother with Pro-D. Midgrade (Pro, X, etc.) plastics seem to worl nicely as a more durable version of baseline, while still drying off quite well. X Undertaker would seem to fit your bill pretty well.

How hard is it to get your MOLF dry? That would be my main idea, besides just throwing DX Rocs or an X Undertaker.
The M/Pro/X plastics that I have all have an about as slick surface like Sirius/Star/ESP. There's a long way from there to DX/300/ZeroMedium.

Unfortunately, I normally don't throw midranges at all, except a Comet sometimes. Dropping drivers for midranges in winter would reduce the plastic problem ...

DX Teebirds, Thunderbirds and Eagles are all
good candidates.
I prefer Eagles but seasoned Teebirds bomb.

I play a lot like you in the winter, no bag, 3 or four discs in hand and I go throw

DX is cheap and will fit the bill for what you want to do. No need to make it any more complicated, buy one of each and call it a day.
Not the worst suggestion. ;-)

DX Teebirds, DX Banshee, DX Firebird, DX/KC Rocs, JB Zone, DX Aviar = Winter bag in rainy Oregon.
If DX Teebird loses stability too quickly. Buy 2. Two baseline = 1 premium. Should last you through the snowy months.
In my experience it's rather 1 premium = 8 baseline. I don't play too much. My Echostar Teebird has only lost a bit of fade, but still fades reliably, after being one of my two main drivers for two years. In contrast, I can beat the fade out of two DX Teebirds in one winter. (DX Eagles don't beat in half as fast, in my experience.) It's true that a straight Teebird is a wonderful disc, but not what I am looking for when playing with only one driver.

I think I'll order two DX Banshees and see how that plays out. The Banshee seems to be an interesting mold anyways. Maybe I'll add a fresh DX Teebird on top ... just in case. ;-)

If you're looking for a winter teebird, how about a Snow Line Explorer? Although they're OOP now, still easy enough to find.

Update and the answer:

I've ordered and received two DX Banshees (171g, 175g), one fresh DX Teebird (175g) and a DX Roc3 (180g). Today I've been field testing them.

The Banshees are great! Man, they rock! A DX Banshee flies similar to a Star Teebird. This is right what I was looking for. Plus, it's the same rim width and wing underside.

Concerning DX Teebirds, I discovered that the PLH matches the HSS perfectly. The one I got now, luckily, has a rather high PLH and thus flies like a Teebird should. But the DX Banshees are better still, as they fly more like premium Teebirds.

The Roc3 was just to try it out (and because I needed one more disc for free shipping ;-) ). Now I'm impressed. It works well for my, and, in contrast to normal Rocs, I can forehand it. Usually I omit midranges completely, but this one could act as a longer JB Zone for one or two disc rounds.

The answer to my initial question is: DX Banshees! :)

I've had a couple DX Banshee's over the years. One was FAF and was crazy OS till I broke it on a tree hit. The other one flew like the OP's. Nice a stable but not too stable.

Saw someone mention friction gloves, and yes absolutely a game changer in the winter. I play all throughout MN winters and they're a lifesaver, just enough to offer a barrier to the cold and you lose very little if anything in terms of grip then throwing. You lose a little of your touch when putting but well worth the trade off. If you can try them on go for a tighter fit as opposed to loose. Even when they're wet they're still pretty good, never play without them in cold/wet conditions.

Here's more feedback after a large part of the winter is over (probably):

I haven't played as much as in previous years. Still I've played in snow and with wet grass and on muddy ground. I am highly pleased with the DX Banshee! It worked very well. It worked also without a towel and without friction gloves. Plus, I like it much more than DX Teebirds. ;-) A DX Teebird would have become noticably straighter by now; the DX Banshee still flies almost the same. It flies much like my Echostar Teebird. I can use them interchangeably.

DX Teebirds are great if you want a fully straight driver. But if you like straight-to-fade drivers, like myself, then premium plastic Teebirds and DX Banshees are the way to go.

Despite the same speed, the Banshee (7/4/0/3) feels to be a bit faster than the Teebird (7/5/0/2). I can throw it a bit farther and it seems to fly on a bit lower lines. But that might depend more on the specific discs than on the molds. Otherwise both discs do the same. This is great. If I wouldn't like Star/Echostar Teebirds so much and know them so well, I would use DX Banshees in that slot. Now I rather swap them depending on the wetness.

With my putting putter, a Jawbreaker Zone, and a DX Banshee I now have a set of discs for wet conditions. I can play any course with those three alone.

Thanks a lot, franklinturnover, for suggesting the DX Banshee! It satisfied all my wishes.

Left open is only seeing the Banshee season. Maybe I post my experiences with that in a year.

Dx banshee is great. Seasons straight and glideless, which allows you to use it as a very accurate tweener mid/fairway

Hoi,

I'm thinking about a suitable driver for the winter. My normal drivers are premium plastic, which are a hazzle when wet. As versatile drivers I usually bag:

- Echostar Teebird (straight-to-fade)
- Star Valkyrie (straight, with slight turn and slight fade)
- M OLF (something inbetween the others)

A single driver (speed 7-9) is enough for me. This is what I'm searching for.

The driver I am most familar and most versatile with is the Teebird. Hence, the obvious choice would be an orange DX Teebird, but unfortunately DX Teebirds lose their fade rather quickly. Gstar seems to be noticably more understable and probably also slick when wet.

An orange DX Eagle-X is the best allround winter driver I've got. But as I like Teebirds more than Eagles I'm still on the search ...

Do you think a DX Thunderbird could be that Teebird with longer lasting fade (through having more speed)? Or what other disc could satisfy my wishes:

- Most important: grippy plastic (DX is usually grippy but in some runs slick; Prodigy 300 seems to be great, or L64 Zero Medium, not sure if Jawbreaker is still grippy in the cold, ...)
- Color: orange or pink
- Speed: 7-9, Turn: close to 0, Fade: 2 -- or simply think Star Teebird
- Brand: doesn't matter as long as it is well available (in Germany), i.e. major brands, popular discs

Suggestions welcome!
Your answer is a G-Star Teebrid.

Living up here in snow land we use the rubbery discs from Daredevil Discs. They really work well, soaking wet and freezing cold, with or without gloves.

Latest posts