• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your best sidearm disc?

All good advice... as an overmold fan with a developing forehand... my goto is a 150g Photon in fission plastic, plenty stable but easy to start getting the right flight even underpowered. Throw your putter and Roadrunner forehand it helps.

Consider a light Firebird too, as an overstable utility disc it does forehand, thumbers and can be used backhand. It was one disc I should have tried sooner but I was too busy with new technology to check out a proven classic mold.

My Neutron Servo is just an indomitable force for me FH. Man is it easy to throw laser straight and it's a really narrow rim too which weirdly feel awkward to me usually. I can actually shape lines with the Servo, like you would with a Teebird. My stable N Volt is also pretty good but I like it for "must fade" shots and flex lines.

My Neutron Servo is just an indomitable force for me FH. Man is it easy to throw laser straight and it's a really narrow rim too which weirdly feel awkward to me usually. I can actually shape lines with the Servo, like you would with a Teebird. My stable N Volt is also pretty good but I like it for "must fade" shots and flex lines.

I ordered a Servo I wish I could remember from who, they shrink wrapped it as a single disc and warped the **** out of it, but they made good and replaced it with a wave. I keep thinking I should use it as a trick thumber disc. I would probably replace it if I tripped over one but the Photon fission has really filled the bill.

I ordered a Servo I wish I could remember from who, they shrink wrapped it as a single disc and warped the **** out of it, but they made good and replaced it with a wave. I keep thinking I should use it as a trick thumber disc. I would probably replace it if I tripped over one but the Photon fission has really filled the bill.

Oh really? So you have a warped Servo still? Ever tried heating it back to shape?

My best sidearm disc is an optimizer. It is a perfect distance disc or accurate flex line disc, they are perfectly overstable.

i perfer a neutron tesla for my side arm disc. 270-280 feet straight to fade. if i need less distance and more fade i use a fireball. fireball just goes straight and when it loses speed just kinda dumps outta the air.

for upshots, it's either a theory or envy.

theory on an anny for getting it to go left and. o fade. envy is a laser beam straight gap hitter, with a small fade.

My favorite that I reach for mostly is either a Felon or a FD3. If driving and want big D I throw a Sheriff, Enforcer if I want a huge skip/spike/wind-fighter.

As many have said, you really need to learn to throw sidearm with understable discs to get form right. Interestingly, I just watched Nate talk about this in his recent clinic. Practice with understable, then use stable when it counts and you will be even more consistent.

I am currently using a Champion Tern for throwing sidearm. I am trying find a better disc. Sometimes it rolls on me or doesn't fade much. What is your "go-to" disc for throwing sidearm? I am really hoping to perfect my throw this year.

try getting something like Colt Putter, a shallow more neutral putter to do the job, will help you learn the Shot if you are having trouble. I can't do the shot with any fast disc really so no I do not do one but I found with my Jawbreaker Magnet I can do a Forehand flick putt, as well as my Lighting Upshot #2 in Prostyle plastic. I can use my Star Shark for a forhand shot so that is what I would use. My dad has a Wasp or two he uses for that shot best a forehand thogh he can use every disc this way with a forehand flick as he can not throw a toy/freestyle disc or a Ultimate disc backhand. Another disc I would look for is a Wham-O Fastback or like disc a disc golf company makes 130 grams or higher in weight. This will also teach how to do a proper forehand shot for driving, maybe more so as the disc is more finicky then a putter. 130 gams or more is so you can drive the disc with more power. Hero a Innova company has a few discs like a Fastback but the Innova version so you can learn such a shot well, buy them on Amazon or other All disc sports selling online site if you can't find the discs in the store. SuperHero and SuperStar are these discs though stay away from the SuperSonic too light as 115 grams to work for the driving.

I don't throw the sidearm much, and rarely ever off the tee. When I go to the flick it's the harp or the felon in my hand these days. I'm not a big distance sidearm thrower 200'-250' meathook shots and approaches only inside 150'.

So I've recently learned to sidearm my pure for "sticky" situations. Also I put my Archer back in the bag as a get out of trouble disc, it's only 169 and it's pretty beat up. I've also been working on throwing it forehand on a hyzer angle and I'm beginning to get a dead straight "lazerbeam" type shot with it. I haven't thrown anything like this in an actual match yet but I'm going to keep working on it Im sure it'll come in handy eventually.

As a new player (been playing maybe three months) I quickly fell in love with the TDx as my FH disc. At 9/5/-3/1, it's fairly easy to get to flip up, and will definitely tell you if you release it wrong. I'm currently throwing it consistently 250-275 FH with a nice flip and glide before a soft, predictable fade. On a bad release, however, it will absolutely take off left. If you're "lucky," your release will be so bad that it will dump and roll. If you're not? It will take off left and then stable up and glide straight, so hopefully there's nothing left you can lose it in.

I haven't tried to FH my FDs much, but I don't see why they'd be a bad choice to FH.

I know some time has past since the original post, but I just came across this thread.

I personally RHFH a champion boss and can generally get 350 consistently and have pushed it up over 400 when the stars align. I have tried the tern before using a flick shot but it would just turn over into the ground like you said.

I am currently using a Champion Tern for throwing sidearm. I am trying find a better disc. Sometimes it rolls on me or doesn't fade much. What is your "go-to" disc for throwing sidearm? I am really hoping to perfect my throw this year.

Well one necro bump deserves another, so here's my unsolicited 2c:

You mention that FHing mids and putters feels weird - yeah, FH can be a little more susceptible to feeling awkward at first than backhand. Truly through, go out to a field and practice FH with every one of your discs, from that Tern, to something fast and OS, to all your mids and putters. You won't love how they all fly, but figure out how to release all of them smoothly and without flutter. This is not easy, especially with chunky molds like Comets and putters, but just slow down as far as is necessary. You'll get better, it will feel less awkward. As you increase your power, if you notice that flutter creeping back in, just slow down and smooth out until it disappears.

FH for me felt incredibly awkward; the best I could do was squeeze out a yucky 100' flex with a Flick. But then I taught my dog to fetch a champ roadrunner in the field next to my house, and the rest is history...

My go-to distance drivers are Vibram Lace and O-Lace. Used to be Innova Starfire. I use Lat64 XXX and Tridents often when a heavy fade is needed.

For utility, Ti nuke, is super beefy and goes right every time. For straight shots a colossus works for me, it doesn't go far but it works. A good mid for flicking is a gold line compass, mine is super straight.

Well one necro bump deserves another, so here's my unsolicited 2c:

You mention that FHing mids and putters feels weird - yeah, FH can be a little more susceptible to feeling awkward at first than backhand. Truly through, go out to a field and practice FH with every one of your discs, from that Tern, to something fast and OS, to all your mids and putters. You won't love how they all fly, but figure out how to release all of them smoothly and without flutter. This is not easy, especially with chunky molds like Comets and putters, but just slow down as far as is necessary. You'll get better, it will feel less awkward. As you increase your power, if you notice that flutter creeping back in, just slow down and smooth out until it disappears.

FH for me felt incredibly awkward; the best I could do was squeeze out a yucky 100' flex with a Flick. But then I taught my dog to fetch a champ roadrunner in the field next to my house, and the rest is history...

I'm actually more comfortable flicking midrange and putter discs on approach shots under 200' than forehand driving with anything. My go-to approach shot is often a forehand with a Roc or one of my putters. For full-strength driving, I need something overstable, or at least stable with a big wing, like a heavy Katana, to tone down the off-axis torque, because I'm just not as smooth flicking it hard.

The Firebird is my best sidearm disc.

Latest posts