• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your FAVE Course Signage???

I don't really care how pretty the signage looks as long as it has the basic info on it such as yardage (footage?), par and pin location and at least an arrow showing the location of the next tee. Been at a few courses where there was no hint of where the next tee was located and had to do quite a bit of walking to find the next tee. Some courses layouts can be a bit confusing, especially when there is no course map located anywhere.

Wildcat Bluff in Urbana, Iowa.
Big heavy thick lacquered painted and carved tee signs. Pin position indicator (theymove a lot). Waypoint pavers at many tricky spots showing distances to each basket location. Big navigation and next tee signs crucial as many holes have two pads playing the hole with different trails to them. Welcome kiosk always has scorecards, maps, and a nice DGCR qr code to scan.

Four 4x4 cut at a coumpoud angle and bolted together. Aluminum backing with vinyl decal for the maps.

yopff19m.jpg

attachment.php

Here is what I did for my backyard course. It took me a week of working on it in my spare time to make all 12. I used 6"x6" posts, stenciled the numbers and routered them in. The painting was tedious! I plan on spraying the entire thing with clear coat once they get a nice weathered look. They are mounted with a rebar spike so I can pull them for the winter.

Actual signs with hole overviews would have been overkill for my 10 acres of land. It is private property so vandalism isn't a concern.

Attachments

• Tee post hole 7.jpg
    Tee post hole 7.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 256
Four 4x4 cut at a coumpoud angle and bolted together. Aluminum backing with vinyl decal for the maps.

yopff19m.jpg

I really like these.. Looking at doing something similar but with a single 6x6 post cut at an angle. Will post pics when they are complete.

Giles that looks really good - a perfect fit for your course.

I love it when signage is a good match to the course. Look at Flip City for example. Nothing but a numbered post as an indicator for hole#. A course where it is more about the 'feel' than anything else this just seems to make sense.

I finalized our tee signs and here is what we came up with.. No topo map to keep things clean and simple. All of the baskets are clearly visible from the tee pad so navigation should be easy.

95af1709e3ee.jpg

Additionally we came up with a spec for mounting and placement. Here you go - a standard! A lot of thought went into this, and if anyone wants to replicate this please feel free to PM me on here. Cheers

We went with stained black 6x6 posts to make the sign really pop, as well as be a graffiti deterrent.

3d9bd7c284b1.jpg

I've been perusing this thread for ideas on tee signs.

Is it universally accepted that a tee sign must contain a hole map? Be honest - once you have played a course, do you ever look at the hole map? How useful is it, really? I assume most of the value from a hole map is for the first time, or first time in a long time player.

For a course that is mostly flat and open with mature trees, and all of the baskets are plainly visible from the tee pad - are hole maps really necessary for the first time player? That is the question I'm struggling with.

The rub is: I want to have a clean, professional look. Hole maps take up a lot of real estate on the sign and I'm questioning the value for this situation.

Can anyone think of a course that has signs mounted low on either 4x4 or 6x6 posts that are diagonally cut? Like these:

teesign_detail_mini.jpg

I'm looking for more examples like this. As a side note - I do really like how the DiscGolfPark signage looks.

I don't think you have to have a hole map. We've opted for them on the course we put in, but you can do without them. The only thing you really have to have is the hole number.

There's a course here that has angled tee sign on a metal post and not wood, but it the same angle. It makes it very readable, the only issue is that birds tend to crap all over these signs more than others. The angle makes it a very appealing perch.

I've been perusing this thread for ideas on tee signs.

Is it universally accepted that a tee sign must contain a hole map? Be honest - once you have played a course, do you ever look at the hole map? How useful is it, really? I assume most of the value from a hole map is for the first time, or first time in a long time player.

For a course that is mostly flat and open with mature trees, and all of the baskets are plainly visible from the tee pad - are hole maps really necessary for the first time player? That is the question I'm struggling with.

The rub is: I want to have a clean, professional look. Hole maps take up a lot of real estate on the sign and I'm questioning the value for this situation.

Can anyone think of a course that has signs mounted low on either 4x4 or 6x6 posts that are diagonally cut? Like these:

teesign_detail_mini.jpg

I'm looking for more examples like this. As a side note - I do really like how the DiscGolfPark signage looks.

Earlewood Park (Columbia, SC), a well-regarded old-school course, has simple mapless graffiti-proof River City Signs, angled on short wooden posts, very much like these.

Maps are a benefit, how much so depends on the course. On a simple course where the basket is visible from the tee, no other baskets might be mistaken for it, and there's no OB info to present, maps don't offer much help. On a course with long holes where you can't see the basket---or, worse, with multiple pin placements, and some system for indicating the current pin position---a map is extremely valuable.

I really like the signs at many of the St. Louis metro area courses. The pin locations are marked with a movable nut and bolt. I really found it helpful.

Ox Bow County Park in Goshen, IN has unique names for each hole (Tornado Alley, for instance). Not sure the exact story behind this one but here is my interpretation. On the old tee sign for hole 10, someone wrote "Dumpster Baby" in marker as a joke because you stare down a trash can in the fairway from the tee pad. When the new tee signs were made, "Dumpster Baby" was printed on the permanent signage and remains there today.

There isn't a picture of them on the site but Kaposia in St. Paul has some amazing signs. They are basically a topographic map of the hole. I can see how they might be a bit too busy or confusing for somebody that doesn't know how to read topos but for my money... they are some of the best I've seen.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=364&mode=ci

Ox Bow County Park in Goshen, IN has unique names for each hole (Tornado Alley, for instance). Not sure the exact story behind this one but here is my interpretation. On the old tee sign for hole 10, someone wrote "Dumpster Baby" in marker as a joke because you stare down a trash can in the fairway from the tee pad. When the new tee signs were made, "Dumpster Baby" was printed on the permanent signage and remains there today.

Wait, Goshen has disc golf???? I go there for work a few times a year and only new about the crazy delicious donuts from the Amish Bakery. Next time I will have to squeeze in a round.

Wait, Goshen has disc golf???? I go there for work a few times a year and only new about the crazy delicious donuts from the Amish Bakery. Next time I will have to squeeze in a round.

Yah. Ox Bow was picked as one of the course for an A-tier last year. This park got hit hard by the emerald ash borer so they've cut a bunch of trees. I haven't been back in a few years, but I heard the course has changed a lot (hopefully not the Dumpster Baby sign).

Latest posts