• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Your Putter Evolution

Innova Aviar Classic > Vibram Ridge > Discraft Soft Magnet > Innova Classic Roc > MVP Anode

I have a couple Gateway Wizards, but have yet to toss them around

Aviar P&A-->Omega SS-->Aviar P&A-->JK Pro Aviar-X-->Anode-->Ion.

Aviar P&A > Aviar Classic > Aviar P&A > Magic > Wizard.

I kept switching putters and putting styles looking for "what worked". Eventually I stopped switching putters and started working on putting instead - that fixed my putting woes ;)

cobra>150g aviar>???? different stuff>KC Pro Aviar>Rhyno>R Pro Dart> discmania c and d p3> mcpro aviar

I still carry a dart usually no matter what. Sometimes as my primary putter. Usually for 60-100 feet. Same with P3's I will use one here and there. Mcpros are the most consistent putt for me ever anywhere out to like 40 feet. If it is windy enough I switch to a champ and an xg rhyno.

I might not have this right, but...

Polecat > Hydra > Classic Roc > Yeti Pro Aviar > Mercy> Putt'R > Omega SS > Summit > Mercy > Rhyno > Magnet

I feel like I'm missing some things. Hmmmm.... Remembering stuff is hard.

Aviar PnA - Soft Focus - XD - KC Pro Aviar - Yeti Aviar

I've been using Yeti's for all putts and most approaches for the past two years and i'm very happy with them. I really liked KC Aviars too but found them to get slick in cold weather. Yeti's have a more shallow feel and their nice and grippy.

awful 150 aviar --- Rhyno ---- soft ion --- voodoo

The ion may be coming back though

Beginning: Banger GT > Aero > Ringer > Zone > Focus > Aviar > Putt'r > PA4 : End

I never really felt confident in any putter, granted I wasn't as experienced as I am now. I would say that the Ringer if very underrated. Its very low profile and zips, so little toss n snaps shot it nice, and it was a little stable so it usually dropped into the chains. I loved the Focus until I got a glow Aviar and used it a lot. It was a good putter and helped me win a tourney. But once I used the Putt'r I like the under-stability and glide....but the PA4 is not going to change. I will also use a PA1 but i think the PA4 will never ever leave my bag set-up.

From the beginning, let's see...

Rhyno--> Dart--> Wizard--> Warlock--> Rhyno--> Voodoo--> Wizard--> Judge--> Wizard

I threw aviars for a long time because that's what was available. Got a couple wizards from a tournament and loved them, haven't looked back. Now I have 5 wizards in the bag and another 50 or so in the garage.

Started with a DX Aviar PnA in my starter pack. Some yahoo at my local course offered to look at my discs and "help me out." Guy says he's been playing for some number of decades, yada yada. Saw my leopard and aviar and told me they were "awful." No joke, this guy told me the leopard was designed for left handed people. LEFT. HANDED. PEOPLE. I ended up trading my leo and aviar to him for a cobra and... a dragon. :doh: Honestly after reading up and playing more DG I look back on it as a valuable learning experience - question authority.

I later picked up another PnA. After that, I've tried several putters, guided primarily by flight numbers. "R-Pro Dart... 3/4/0/0!? So straight, I'll be able to putt like a champ!" Other disappointing putters include a SSS voodoo and a strawberry mercy.

Later I checked out a DX rhyno and loved it. I picked up a champ version and did pretty well for a while. Then I checked out an eco wizard and have never turned back.

Now I putt with stiff S wizards. I carry my champ rhyno for windy putts and approaches.

EDIT: if S wizards didn't exist I'm sure I would have switched to KC aviars by now.

Birdie->Banger GT ->Challenger->Wizard

I don't ever see myself leaving the Wizard. It just feels so right. Its so consistent with my putting style.
I do, however, prefer to throw Challengers and Ions. I don't know why but it just feels wrong to throw Wizards. It even feels weird for me to spin them at all, I only pitch them. They are scalpels and should only be used for precision...or something poetic like that....

We were just talking about this at a tournament. I always would try putters out and finally now I have stuck with the Focus and am pretty happy with it. Over 5 years of playing I have tried a lot of putters.

(Started with) Aviar to Banger GT (soft and regular) to APX to Puttr to Challenger to Magic (tried S and SS and SSS) to Wizard (S, SS, SSS, Organic) to Ion (Soft Proton and Neutron) to Anode (Soft Proton and regular Proton) to Judge (soft and classic hard) and then finally landing on my Focus.

I think I finally found out I like beaded and thinner profile putters. My most consistent putters were the Magic, Ion, and the Focus. I did not like the Challenger, APX, Puttr, and Banger. Wizard and Anode were good but I was way to inconsistent with them.

Last edited:
I threw aviars for a long time because that's what was available. Got a couple wizards from a tournament and loved them, haven't looked back. Now I have 5 wizards in the bag and another 50 or so in the garage.

Dang, that's a lot of wizards. That is all. :thmbup:

When I first started I had a cro. I threw lots of turbo putts with that thing then ....
voodoo to magics to wizards to super stiff glow aviar back to wizards to ridge to VP's. VP's are here to stay.

Started with a Dart, went to a Banger GT, then a Wizard and a Magic, now have a Anode. I don't see the Anode ever leaving my bag.

Phantom+ > 86 Softie > small bead Aviars > Magnets > 9X KC Pro Aviars > Wizards > Ridge > Yeti Pro Aviars.

Wizard -> Ion -> Wizard

Won't switch again. I won't stop throwing any of the molds in my bag, no matter what they come out with.