• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zone: Most Unique disc ever??

can you name one? as slow as the zone? i mean the drone is an obvious comparison, gator, pig. but none are as overstable or slow. the only discs i have thrown that arent hsd that are as overstable as the zone are the Z XTREME and the CHAMP VIPER

Umm... Isn't the Lat64 Trident both slow (speed 5 on the innova scale) and incredibly overstable (5 fade, again on the Innova scale)?

I think the Zone fills a nice niche as it does combine a lot of things in a different way than most other discs. However I would never call overstability unique. There are a lot of overstable discs, and regardless of speed they all do basically the same thing. It is also quite easy for a disc designer to make a "very overstable" disc, there just isn't much market left for them. I think it's much harder for a designer to create a consistently neutral or useably understable disc, and that makes something unique to me.

I think the Zone fills a nice niche as it does combine a lot of things in a different way than most other discs. However I would never call overstability unique. There are a lot of overstable discs, and regardless of speed they all do basically the same thing. It is also quite easy for a disc designer to make a "very overstable" disc, there just isn't much market left for them. I think it's much harder for a designer to create a consistently neutral or useably understable disc, and that makes something unique to me.

This is very true. but we are bombarded with HI SPEED drivers both overstable and understable. (VULCAN) (APE) (OS) but since the Zone nothing else has matched it. and innova certainly hasnt. apparently the Trident is similar. someone earlier mentioned the Sinus. so it appears the fastest growing company is seeing a desire for these types of discs.

Just for the record, the Trident is NOTHING like the Zone. The Sinus is similar, as is the Prodiscus Jokeri as both are beadless overstable putter-type discs. BTW, I have a weird ESP Zone. It is pink and nearly see-through and also only flies slightly overstable.

I didnt think the trident was anything like a Zone. but somebody up there did. have not thrown the Jokeri. u want to sell that weird pink zone? would be nice fit between my beat to crap one and my beautiful Worlds supercolor one.

Forehand drives and approaches. spike hyzer approaches. skip shots. escape overhand shots. wind putting.

Tried using it fh but it felt kinda weird with my grip... which one do u guy's use?

It might be because i use 2 approach with drivers before so the rim might take a little getting used 2.

wind putting.

it is good for all the other things listed, but to me its greatest value is for windy days.

you can use a driver for these types of shots, but the zone's lower speed makes it more accurate and reduces the 'pucker factor' on fast/sloped greens. when you've got a 50-100' putt and it's super windy, most players are usually just going to take a soft run at the basket or maybe just play the layup. with the zone, you can run a flex shot at the basket with a firm throw and have a good chance of making it regardless of how hard the wind is howling. if it misses, it's usually by less than 20'.

apparently the Trident is similar. someone earlier mentioned the Sinus. so it appears the fastest growing company is seeing a desire for these types of discs.

FYI - It would be the Zone is similar to the Sinus. Sinus came first.

Sinus 2006
Zone 2008

So this whole arguement is bunk since the sinus was the original beadless beast. and the zone is just an imitation better marketed in the US.

This thread is out of control. Personally, I could care less about a disc being unique, its the results that matter and the Zone is amazing. The zone is easily my most thrown disc for approach shots. Hyzers, flex shots, flicks, forehand rollers, skip shots, you get the point. Plus, they are durable.

Z xtreme is the most unique disc. No disc ever made is nearly as overstable as those things. I throw star xd's on the regular and might be interested in trying a zone if it's close to the xd but with more stability.

I suppose I still wonder how the Drone wasn't put in as an overstable putter, and the Zone wasn't toted as the overstable mid...in the hand, you'd never be able to tell me they are fitting into the categories they are in.

Z xtreme is the most unique disc. No disc ever made is nearly as overstable as those things. I throw star xd's on the regular and might be interested in trying a zone if it's close to the xd but with more stability.

I totally agree on this. With the addition of the Canadian Optimizer. I've never run across such an understable disc, haha.

I suppose I still wonder how the Drone wasn't put in as an overstable putter, and the Zone wasn't toted as the overstable mid...in the hand, you'd never be able to tell me they are fitting into the categories they are in.

drone has a noticeably bigger rim, plus curved profile. feel is very different to me.

Latest posts