Santa Cruz, CA
DeLaveaga Park Share

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
iconic course is more impressive in person

1    6/13/2018   6/25/2018
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -amazing terrain for disc golf with big and small elevation, old growth trees, lots of tunnels, and a few open spots to rip one
-nice concrete tees, Mach baskets in good condition
-multiple basket locations on most holes
-tee signs are useful but don't always show all distances to various pin positions and don't show current position
-variety of shots uphill and downhill, tunnels, finishing right and left, huge bombs, and opportunities to use any and all kinds of shots off the tee or to get out of trouble
-super dangerous greens with major slopes, roots, and trees inside the circle; forces you to think about your landing angles
-practice basket
-small disc shop
-lost and found disc bin
-portojohn
Cons: -poison oak
-crossing fairways
-top of the world throws onto potentially 7 or 8 other holes plus the parking lot; a fun shot but really not very safe
-some brutally punishing rough off the fairways and especially down the ravines, plus the poison oak
-several holes that could easily play into the road
-tough to navigate without a map, make sure you bring one
-a daunting course for beginners; you really need to be able to throw straight, keep it in the fairway, and play smart to keep all your plastic out here, let alone actually score well
Other Thoughts: DeLaveaga Park is iconic. I've heard about this course for years and seen it in numerous tournament coverage videos. It's interesting playing a course for the first time but feeling like you know the course already. It definitely helps with the navigation, which can get tricky out here so bring a map or follow some locals.

The variety of elevation across fairways shaped by the Monterey Pines, Oaks, and scrubby brush makes for a great challenge and beautiful scenery. Elevation changes both major and minor are in play on most holes. There is early and late danger on most holes and the greens are incredibly dangerous. Roots, trees, steep drop offs, and completely sloped ground are abundant on the greens so you have to think about it on all shots: drives, approaches, and putts.

There are a number of alternate basket positions but it looks like some of the more memorable holes stay in their typical positions. I'm curious how often they change but with 29 holes, there are no issues with variety. The tee signs are decent but I would love to see the current pin locations indicated on the signs.

Speaking of 29 holes, are they really necessary? Holes 5 and 6 cross each other as do holes 13 and 16. I'm not a fan of crossing fairways but at least these ones have decent lines of sight. Top of the World hole 27 is definitely unsafe but I can't imagine it would ever go away. Don't be shy about yelling "fore".

DeLaveaga is definitely a destination course where you can spend the whole day enjoying the expansive property and varied holes. I look forward to coming back and trying to improve my score. At this point, it's both the best and my favorite course I've played in California.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Famous or Infamous?

1    6/3/2018   6/16/2018
Review By: BBB-SoCal
Pros: Easily recognizable
Great use of terrain to make even short holes challenging
Good mix of elevation and natural obstacles to keep the course fun and exciting throughout
Cons: Treacherous O.B. at times
Unforgiving ground and skips if not calibrated properly
Ravines will punish weaker arms on some of the long holes
Other Thoughts: It was great to finally play this course after seeing it so many times online. The videos do not do this course justice. It is even more intimidating in person -- but also much longer and varied than I had realized.

If you have a wide mix of shots in your arsenal you will not be disappointed in how much creativity you can unleash. I was able to intentionally skip a hard-plastic approach disc several times to great effect.

This course is easily recognizable and very iconic and yet playing here felt fun and new because I do not have something comparable near me. I came here as a destination event and it was certainly worth the trip. I assure you I will be back to play it again. I played pretty conservatively my first time here but I think I will gradually learn to be more aggressive as I figure out which shots are safe enough to throw without losing a disc and risky enough to improve my score.

Worth every minute, perfect course

1    1/13/2018   1/26/2018
Review By: imageoftheson
Pros: Very challenging layouts, iconic holes, amazing views. This place is legendary. I have been wanting to come here since I started playing, about 2 years ago. For our 1 year anniversary we made this one stop on our road trip, and it was well worth the drive. Baskets were all in A position, I ended up -7 which i was very happy with. Course conditions were perfect.
Cons: A little out of the way, somewhat crowded, patrons didn't have the cleanest of language.
Other Thoughts: I am so glad I played this course, and will again if I get the chance. Maybe next time the course will be in a tougher layout.

5+    9/29/2017   9/29/2017
Review By: JRock Santa Cruz
Pros: What more can be said? An icon. Challenging holes, mixed elevations, striking views, long holes, technical holes, legendary holes.

If it's not on your bucket list, it ought to be.
Cons: Crowded on the weekends. Alternately, if you're a first timer and arrive on a quiet weekday morning, it can be hard to spot some of the baskets from your tee (Such as 2, 7, 12, 14, 15.)

Lottery

1    8/9/2011   9/1/2017
Review By: jonasgr
Pros: I nice course for a casual round with your friends. Nice elevation.
Cons: I really can't understand how this could be one of the most highly rated disc golf courses in the world. I can think of very few other courses which feel as much of a lottery.

The fairway mainly consists of hard soil with roots which makes it very unpredictable -- when you expect your disc to slide 10 meters (30 feet) to the basket it might as well hit a root and bounce backwards. Other holes have large logs that prevents discs from sliding out and OB, but there are huge gaps between the logs so if you're lucky the log will stop the disc for an easy birdie but if you're unlucky you'll go OB.

It's ok to have a cliff behind the basket (sometimes) but when the green consists of huge roots that easily will make your disc stand up and roll down the cliff (and cost you 3 throws to get back up) it's not ok.

The infamous "The fridge" is something else: throw your disc into a forest, aiming for a painted spot on a tree 30 feet up in the air, and pray you'll find your disc when you've walked to the basket, and hope you have a birdie opportunity.

The last hole -- Top of the World -- is so much fun to play, but a slight miss means your disc will land on the parking lot. I would not be surprised if this will be the first hole where we hear about a severe disc golf casualty.

It absolutely takes a very good disc golfer to master the course but you will also need a great deal of luck to succeed and I'm no fan of courses where you need to depend on luck.
Other Thoughts: I have only played the course during the WC 2011 (27 hole layout). Perhaps a different seasons adds some grass to the fairway and makes it more predictable. But to me this was the worst (of four) courses we played during this WC.

Fantastic Course, Well Maintained, Active DG Community, Thumbs Up All Around

1    7/25/2017   7/25/2017
Review By: Treeplant
Pros: - Beautifully maintained park with great hole layouts and multiple pin positions.

- Disc golf only park that's tucked in behind a golf course, so very little interference from the general public, though we did see a couple of what appeared to be hikers.

- Good concrete pads and signage, well maintained.

- Good length and challenge to most of the holes, not a whole lot of gimme Par 3s.

- Good mix of elevation and left/right bends that let you use the full range of throws in your bag.

- Although there are some nasty spots to lose discs, for the most part you will not be in danger of losing discs if you're able to stay on or close to the fairway. Rolling way off line or grip locking off to the right can put you off a massive hill, but it's not like the fairways have long grass or are lined with thornbushes that make small misses hard to find.

- Great little shack that sells a limited selection discs and snacks in the parking lot. A good place to go for info on the course or for info on the surrounding disc golf community, which sounds awesome.

- A few mandos, but they didn't overdo it with mandos or OBs when designing the course. They used the lay of the land to create the challenge, which is really great.

- Benches at pretty much every hole is awesome, especially for someone like me who doesn't carry a stool around. A lot of the tee pads were shaded as well, so waiting on other groups wasn't nearly as painful as it can be at other courses.
Cons: - Without a course map, can be a little confusing to find the next tee.

- Fairways are tight together in spots, people in our group were almost hit twice in the one round we played. It's completely fine, you just need to keep an eye out.

- Busy course, I was told it can take a very long time to play 18 or 27 holes at peak times.
Other Thoughts: - The golf course you drive through on the way into the disc golf course also has baskets, which can be played for a fee on certain days of the week. Just google the Delaveaga Golf Course phone number and call the pro shop for info.

- It's worth taking the time to look ahead on a few holes. there are some blind shots and some pin placements where going past the pin can roll you off a painful hill.

- We played this course because we were told this was one of the best courses in the state and a couple of people said it was one of the top courses in the world. It is an absolutely fantastic course that's well maintained with a couple of neat views, but I was expecting a little more myself because it had been hyped up so much to me. Was worth the drive and I really loved playing it, but it was all Par 3s and there wasn't anything about it that completely blew me away. Absolutely nothing wrong at all with the course in anyway but don't go in expecting every hole to have breathtaking views or staggering elevation drops or incredibly challenging unique Par 5s etc.

- One of the best courses I've ever played.

- Get there early to beat the heat and the crowds!

One of my all time favorites

5+    7/17/2017   7/22/2017
Review By: KMBreith
Pros: Tee pads in mostly good condition, tee signs accurate, and baskets are always on the move
Great hole to hole variety: up, down, left, right, and everything in between
"Top of the World": 500+ ft downhill shot with a view of Santa Cruz and the Pacific Ocean
Small pro shop with nice employees, snacks, drinks, and discs for sale
I meet awesome people
Cons: All par 3
Not enough garbage cans
Crowded on the weekends when it's nice out (obviously)
Lacking signage around the course (pay attention to tee sign for next hole, or ask!)
Other Thoughts: Overall one of my all time favorite courses! While there may be a few things that could use improvement, I truly believe this course to be a model for others.
I will continue to come back to this place for as long as I live!

If you are in the area you have to play this course. if you aren't you still have to play this course

1    6/2/2017   6/2/2017
Review By: rjmead23
Pros: Beautiful drive to the parking lot for the first tee. Has a great parking lot and disc golf store if you are looking to buy new discs. Well marked holes with big cement tee pads. Map of the course available at the disc golf store. $2 parking pass will allow you to stay until sunset (worth it I promise). There are some great challenging tunnel shots, elevation changes, wooded, open and shots that will challenge anyone from beginner to pro. Holes 12 and 15 are for the brave, but read the sign about the fridge that will surely bring a smile to your face. Big pine trees and some wonderful natural obstacles will have you challenged.. This is still a great course for beginners to the more experienced. A beautiful setting so be sure to take your time to enjoy your surroundings.
Cons: There are no trash bins on the course so be prepared to carry out what you carry in. Make sure you take a map of the course with you as there are a few holes that benefit from this. The basket placement is not always what you might expect so be sure to know which basket you are shooting at before you commit.
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful course that is well worth checking out. This course will take you among beautiful scenery with lots of elevation changes with an abundance of shade. Enjoy nature on this one, you will not be dissapointed

What a place!

1    11/26/2016   4/9/2017
Review By: The Katana Kid
Pros: Beautiful place.
The combination of challenges is incredible.
The tunnel shots are some of the toughest I've seen.
The mountain shots are amazing.
Cons: It's a little scary to have discs flying at you from seemingly nowhere. There are nets in places to help, but I heard "FOUR" a lot.
Other Thoughts: I drove 45 minutes one way to get here and it was well worth it.

Home Sweet Home!

5+    11/14/2016   2/22/2017
Review By: PapaRick1959
Pros: Lots of varied holes and shots.
Not overly punitive for a beginner.
Super affordable (only $2 per car to park)
Sweet views and ocean breeze
Pace of play even when crowded is good
Cons: A couple of holes criss cross each other
#13 should really be a par 4
Other Thoughts: DeLa is the mecca, the original! and the best!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10