Redmond, OR
Coyotes Den DGC Share
Uploaded By: WilsonSandersDavis   (Taken 11/2013)
Course Sign

Very Fun, Underrated Course

1    4/3/2017   4/5/2017
Review By: Cruz Duck
Pros: Fun elevation shots - Up, down, across the side of a hill. Often the longer tee pad will have more elevation. Even if you have a pretty wimpy arm, I highly encourage you to try the longer tee pads.

Multiple Tee pads, Multiple Basket Locations - I don't know how often the baskets are moved, but clearly there are lots of options. Two tee pads and three basket locations on every hole. Plus, the tee pads are not just shorter or longer, they are at a different angle, giving a different look and a different challenge.

Great signs - New tee signs have been put up by each tee pad. It was easy to see the layout of the hole and to get the distance and location of each basket.

Bag holders - Many, but not all tee pads have a bag holder. A nice touch.

Challenging, yet fun for all - I played the day after a local tournament and several of the locations were very challenging. Yet, there are usually easier shots from other tee pads.
Cons: Personally, I have no complaints. Others might complain about:

Gravel Tee pads - This did not bother me. The tee pads are in pretty good shape, but I know it bothers some people.

Sagebush - Like many courses in Central Oregon, sage brush is in the fairways and off to the side of the fairways. I throw mostly brightly colored discs and it never was a problem. I threw some truly awful drives, but it never took more than a minute or two to find my disc. I guess if you like to throw rollers, this is the wrong course for you.

Actually, I do have one complaint, I wish the course were closer to Bend so I could play it more often. :-)
Other Thoughts: I had a great time playing this course. I moved to the Bend area about a year ago and I had never heard of the course. I had heard of Pine Nursery and Hyzer Pines, but never this course. I think this course is at least as good, if not better.

I would advise printing the course map from the Central Oregon Disc Golf webpage. Sometimes it was not obvious where the next tee pad was located. The sign at the tee pad had an arrow to the next hole, however I usually forget that by the time I got to the basket.

Not Much Fun...

1    6/19/2015   6/22/2015
Review By: Fletcher
Pros: The views are nice, and it's one of only a handful of courses in the area. The shots with elevation are fun.
Cons: Despite having to pay $3 to play, the course does little to earn players' money. There's no signage at the teepads other than hole number, no maps available at the kiosk, poorly maintained gravel teepads, unmarked pin positions, and a layout that feels disjointed, and poorly designed.
Other Thoughts: I was visiting Sisters for the week, and thought I'd play somewhere other than Hyzer Pines. I made the drive out to Crooked River Ranch, paid $3 for me, and another $3 for my partner. There were no maps available at the unmanned kiosk, so we started playing using the google map that's linked to on the course page on DGCR. We realized on hole one that the map was outdated, as the basket was easily 250 feet farther from the tee than the map indicated. We continued on, but honestly, we didn't have a lot of fun. If you can overlook the rough terrain, sandy hillsides, and the unmowed cheatgrass you might have a good time. However, My partner and I felt the course just wasn't very fun. Many of the holes are needlessly long, and probably very frustrating for newer players. This course doesn't have well defined fairways, just dirt, cheatgrass, sagebrush, and impenetrable junipers. There's little shade on the course so come prepared with water and sunscreen.

After seeing the 3.25 rating, I came expecting a good course. I left feeling my time would have been better spent elsewhere. If I had to do it again, I'd play the course first, and decide afterward if a donation was worth it. Hopefully my $6 actually goes toward course improvements because this course needs a lot of work.

Great start

2-4    11/28/2014   11/28/2014
Review By: ballardthedome
Pros: Breathtaking setting in the Crooked River Gorge.
Nice new baskets, in a bright orange that makes them very easy to see from the tee areas.
Good use of elevation changes.
Multiple tee pads on many holes for beginners/more advanced players.
Challenging shots, great overall distance for the course, doesn't feel like many "duplicate" holes, each have a unique feel.
Nice benches.
Cons: Dirt teepads are in a decent shape right now, but are already showing "pitting" at the front end.
No tee signs.
No distances given for the holes.
No garbage cans.
Some teepads difficult to find.
Other Thoughts: Great start to this course. It could easily be a 4 or 4.5 rated course by adding concrete teepads, good tee signs and some better directional signs for next tees (look for the yellow flags on the bushes to signal your way to the next teepad right now).
There is potential here for an amazing "top of the world shot". There is a rock outcropping up the hill from hole 10 that looked like it would work great (of course, not sure if whomever controls the land there would allow it).
Loved playing this course.

Coyote's Den

2-4    7/20/2015   11/14/2013
Review By: WilsonSandersDavis
This review was updated on 1/2/2016
Pros: -Beautiful setting in the Crooked River Valley offering a full 18 hole course in central Oregon.
-Bathrooms and garbage cans in parking lot.
-Nice sign at the beginning of the course with map, score cards, and practice basket.
-Flags are set up in between holes for easy navigation if you don't know the course.
-Great variety of shots from 190 to 664 foot holes with enjoyable elevation changes.
-Nice, easy to see Kingpin baskets.
-Some holes have multiple tee pads.
-Very little undergrowth, besides the Sage brush and Juniper trees, makes it easy to find discs.
Cons: -Tee pads are gravel.
-Part of the course has a mountain bike track.
-No signage at tee pads, so once this course is played more the flags in between holes might disappear making it harder to navigate.
Other Thoughts: I thought this was a great course. Very fun to play. The gravel tee pads are not that bad, level with nice hard ground underneath. When I was there I didn't see any mountain bikers and saw only a few bike tracks, so I didn't feel that it interfered with the disc golf course. Lodging, camping, and store close by in Crooked River Ranch. Not far from Bend, Redmond, and Madras for restaurants and other disc golf courses. I gave it a 3.5 due to the tee pads and very little signage. However, this course is only a few months old and it will be interesting in the future if there are improvements made.