• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

“The Secret Technique” to throw Roc 375’ with 15% power

Some of that is disc lagging shoulders lagging hips.

For sure, I understand that. There is a sequence though of the weight flows through the body and I'm curious how it starts. Such as: left arm swings internally ➡ weight shifted to front leg by pushing off back foot ➡ hips rotate ➡ shoulder rotates ➡ wrist rotates

Something along those lines would help me understand the progression.

I read the S&T stuff and what they say "others" teach isn't always what they do. For example they think everyone teaches an actual pulling motion across the chest rather and than a fixed upper arm. Well, some do - Stokely does, but he doesn't do it IMO. So probably what others think S&T teaches has some gaps too.

I think maybe there are 7 or 8 schools of thought on rotation.

1. Rotation is caused by a force applied by the trail foot perpendicular to the direction of throw.
2. Rotation is caused by a force applied by the plant foot perpendicular to the direction of throw.
3. Rotation is caused by a force applied by either foot that moves the mass of the body parallel to the direction of throw, and the brace is slightly off center line, so when the mass of body hits the brace it is forced to rotate.

Now multiply these by two: The case where you rotate on purpose, vs the case where you focus on something else and it happens anyway. Stokely is very clear in his clinics: as long as you wait to pull until the plant leg is down, everything else takes care of itself. I asked him about nose up, and he said just don't pull until you land. So now we're up to 6.

7. Rotation is a deliberate twist of the hips unconnected to feet. This I think is the BW S&T idea, but it's also the 3X pitching idea.
Bradley claims to not know or pay any attention what others are teaching, but yet he condemns it all universally and is not compatible with S&T.

IMO a good teacher is aware of what others are teaching, and possibly learning from them.

Re 7. That is not my understanding of BW's foot twist drill or squish the bug which are the opposite of the Swivel Chair Drill.

8. Gravity rotates you due to how the body works. Any movement you make causes rotation one way or the other. To stand on one leg(or even two) you have to resist gravity pulling you into rotation. If you swing your arm, that causes rotation. If you squat that causes rotation. If you walk forward you rotate. This is why some golf instructors say that rotation is a difficult concept for people to understand.

Last edited:
To clarify, and curious what others have to say, do you move your off arm internally before pushing off your back foot to transfer weight? Or does one do this simultaneously (push off back foot and move off arm internally at the same time)?

I would say it's simultaneous. Grouped as one thought even. "Compress the left side into the right side as right side is planting."

I often remind myself of the Scott Stokely quote where he mentions a person not being able to hold all the swing thoughts in their head and activate them at the correct millisecond of a throw. It's just too fast.

Wait are either of these things true? I highly doubt the GGGT one and I less seriously doubt the DGR one.
Pretty sure Blake owned DGR(not to be confused with DGCR). I know Blake worked at GGGT, but not sure at what capacity.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.20.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.20.34 PM.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 508
HUB talkin' double G

^An excellent recap of the discussion with examples^

Hailey King doing the swim move in a kind of hybrid style of swedish/american. She still turns her head and shoulders toward the target at release a bit, but the left side is definitely resisting. I think you can see in her swing how key the timing of it is with how it all pops just right on this throw.

Timestamped to 13:55 in case it doesn't work. If you slow it down to .25x you really see the move.

https://youtu.be/Dau3BxiExTc?t=835

HUB talkin' double G

See, I'd say the distinction between Swedish and American lies more in the swing planes and momentum being more horizontal vs vertical. Straight arm with a pendulum swing vs deep elbow bend and high swing.

Swedish tends to keep the shoulders more still with the arm out front (like HUB's GG example), but I think even some "American style" throwers do this on occasion, Simon being the one I think of immediately. I think it means they're better stacked behind their brace.

Obviously there's a lot of grey area here because no one is fully one style or the other.

I just started playing this week and I have already played 5+ rounds. I have a leopard, Roc, and an aviar (with a few more putters on the way just to try a few different things).

I watched this video on how to throw and it made a huge difference, but I'm having troubles throwing my Roc.

All of the courses near me are short 3 pars <300ft and I have seen a lot of advice on this subreddit suggesting that it's best to learn throwing exclusively midrange/putters or even just putters, but I'm having some difficulty throwing my Roc.

it seems to always hook so hard left on a backhand and I know that it's supposed to do that since I think it might be 'overstable', but to me it's moving so far left that I feel like there has to be something wrong with the way I'm throwing it. Im not really too sure how to diagnose the problem though. Maybe I'm throwing too high or too hard? I can throw close to 300 feet with it (I threw just short of a 292 ft hole today on a shot that didn't fly off too hard to the left), but the majority of the time trying to throw farther doesn't help.

I read that throwing on a hyzer might help, but I don't understand why throwing a shot that is supposed to go left in the first place is going to help, when that's the problem I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

I just started playing this week and I have already played 5+ rounds. I have a leopard, Roc, and an aviar (with a few more putters on the way just to try a few different things).

I watched this video on how to throw and it made a huge difference, but I'm having troubles throwing my Roc.

All of the courses near me are short 3 pars <300ft and I have seen a lot of advice on this subreddit suggesting that it's best to learn throwing exclusively midrange/putters or even just putters, but I'm having some difficulty throwing my Roc.

it seems to always hook so hard left on a backhand and I know that it's supposed to do that since I think it might be 'overstable', but to me it's moving so far left that I feel like there has to be something wrong with the way I'm throwing it. Im not really too sure how to diagnose the problem though. Maybe I'm throwing too high or too hard? I can throw close to 300 feet with it (I threw just short of a 292 ft hole today on a shot that didn't fly off too hard to the left), but the majority of the time trying to throw farther doesn't help.

I read that throwing on a hyzer might help, but I don't understand why throwing a shot that is supposed to go left in the first place is going to help, when that's the problem I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

Throwing all putters can certainly help, but it can also disguise a nose-up problem. When the disc is nose-up, putters and mids are more forgiving because of their taller profile. It's entirely possible to throw putters 275' and throw drivers only 300' with the same form, stalling and hyzer-ing out (which can be a useful shot once in a while).

Check out this thread, read it through, and practice the drills:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133319

It's worthwhile to take time from throwing to learn about form.

Throwing all putters can certainly help, but it can also disguise a nose-up problem. When the disc is nose-up, putters and mids are more forgiving because of their taller profile. It's entirely possible to throw putters 275' and throw drivers only 300' with the same form, stalling and hyzer-ing out (which can be a useful shot once in a while).

Check out this thread, read it through, and practice the drills:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133319

It's worthwhile to take time from throwing to learn about form.

For a very long time, all of my discs were going 350 feet. On one hand, I could throw a Nova 350 feet... on the other, all my drivers were next to my putters in the field.

It wasn't a grip issue, but it was a nose angle issue.

Some people just assume it must be grip, but it's much more likely to be because you're not fully shifting to the front foot. That's what it was for me. Once you start shifting, things start flying at the right height.

After years of overcompensating my grip for a lower release due to throwing from the back foot, when I finally started shifting fully to the front foot I was throwing things into the ground. Took a bit of adjustment, but my drivers now go 450+.

For a very long time, all of my discs were going 350 feet. On one hand, I could throw a Nova 350 feet... on the other, all my drivers were next to my putters in the field.

It wasn't a grip issue, but it was a nose angle issue.

Some people just assume it must be grip, but it's much more likely to be because you're not fully shifting to the front foot. That's what it was for me. Once you start shifting, things start flying at the right height.

After years of overcompensating my grip for a lower release due to throwing from the back foot, when I finally started shifting fully to the front foot I was throwing things into the ground. Took a bit of adjustment, but my drivers now go 450+.

Do not overlook these last two paragraphs - my experience is the exact same. (Except that 450' part.)

This, this, 100% this.

Loop I need an explain like I am five. I am not sure what is discussed in here, either the language barrier or I am just stupid.

Hey I'm half way thru and I still don't know what "basing the shoulder" means. I hope I find out because it seems important.

Also that copypasta was the most poorly written authentic frontier gibberish I've ever seen. Not one comment about how excruciating that was. I can't believe I made an effort to decipher that.

You're not alone!

Latest posts