• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 DGPT Jonesboro Open

Here's how the holes performed relative to each other.

attachment.php

Attachments

• JBOOLuck.png
    JBOOLuck.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 279
And here are some X-rays for select holes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MPOSomeXray.jpg
    MPOSomeXray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 217
What percentage would the ideal distribution reside if there could be such a thing? I'm thinking the ideal is different for each par level?

I disagree that she has peaked. I think 30min a day can do wonders to improve putting or approach shots. Now...I certainly agree she would have to do alot more to consistently give Paige a run for her money, but it wouldn't surprise me if she pulls out a win or 2 against Paige this season. I also agree JA is not the future of FPO, but I think she could be a major FPO force the next few years.
30 minutes a day isn't going to do it in any way shape or form. Someone mentioned it earlier but it'll be the younger generation to dethrone the greats. Like Kona Panis is balls deep into discgolf. I don't think I've seen anyone that plays more before, during or after a tournament, she has someone record all of her tee shots lol like a documentarian, even if she is doing something besides disc golf it's disc golf related, like painting disc golf scenes on canvas or sharpie art on a disc or even a job at innova... it's those types that are putting ALL of their eggs (or discs) into 1 basket! Lol

what a beaut. maybe this one needs to be in the fall rather than spring. my kind of course. when I see rolling hills, cows in the distance and rounds bales... looks right to me.

good to see gurthie near the top. his distance form continues to impress.

and what about dave Feldberg aka the professor making the young guns look like mere students, again..

30 minutes a day isn't going to do it in any way shape or form. Someone mentioned it earlier but it'll be the younger generation to dethrone the greats. Like Kona Panis is balls deep into discgolf. I don't think I've seen anyone that plays more before, during or after a tournament, she has someone record all of her tee shots lol like a documentarian, even if she is doing something besides disc golf it's disc golf related, like painting disc golf scenes on canvas or sharpie art on a disc or even a job at innova... it's those types that are putting ALL of their eggs (or discs) into 1 basket! Lol

30 min sessions focused work on weak areas, putting/approach can indeed help imop. That along with her normal routine(s), etc. Btw..with all that ethic put in by Kona, JA still beat Kona by 18 strokes.

Uh, what?
In your bubble chart, higher is less lucky, to the right is better spread and bigger bubble is greater contribution. What would be your realistically optimum look where you would say this bubble chart for this course is about as good as you can do. I'm thinking you would want all 18 bubbles the same size for starters where each hole gave equal contribution? Par 3s might cluster around a certain spread, par 4s a bigger spread number and par 5s the biggest spread number. Not sure zero for lucky is possible but essentially all bubbles would be near the top?

30 min sessions focused work on weak areas, putting/approach can indeed help imop. That along with her normal routine(s), etc. Btw..with all that ethic put in by Kona, JA still beat Kona by 18 strokes.

For sure. Jen Allen may just have more pure talent than Kona panis no matter how much practice.

But it looks like right now Paige pierce and Catrina Allen have both talent and much more time to dedicate. I think that's the point, not sure anyone's debating that.

Not really sure the argument. Jennifer Allen probably makes a much better living with her job than disc golf anyway...

In your bubble chart, higher is less lucky, to the right is better spread and bigger bubble is greater contribution. What would be your realistically optimum look where you would say this bubble chart for this course is about as good as you can do. I'm thinking you would want all 18 bubbles the same size for starters where each hole gave equal contribution? Par 3s might cluster around a certain spread, par 4s a bigger spread number and par 5s the biggest spread number. Not sure zero for lucky is possible but essentially all bubbles would be near the top?

It's not that simple. We can't compare these charts from course to course because the mix of players is different. (It's not unheard of to have zero luckiness for the only long hole on a course when played by a smaller group of more diverse players.)

I don't know that going for all equal sized bubbles would produce the best course in total. That might only be achievable by suppressing the natural talents of the best holes.

On the other end of the spectrum, I would worry if one bubble was a lot larger than all the others. That can only happen if the other holes stink.

My gut feel says the best a course can do is have a range of bubble sizes. I think this one looks pretty good, but I have nothing solid to back that up. Remind me to check at the end of the season - perhaps there will be enough tournaments this year with enough players in common to do enough comparisons to figure that out.

For this event, I'm actually surprised there were no holes that had a negative contribution. For any hole to still be able to improve on the sorting of players on top of the efforts of the 17 other holes of this course's lengths is pretty good.

At his time, all I would use this chart for is to influence the order in which I might tweak the holes. It says leave the big bubbles alone, but feel OK about messing with the ones to the lower left or with small bubbles.

Thanks. I think these complex charts need some context for what is theoretically better.

What was that blue driver Ricky was throwing so straight? I felt his love for forcing over enforcers last season made him suffer a bit vs McBeth who can throw such great s-lines with his destroyers.

Could it be an Opto Gladiator? Or is he back to VIP World?

Here's how the holes performed relative to each other.

attachment.php

I don't know that going for all equal sized bubbles would produce the best course in total.

On the other end of the spectrum, I would worry if one bubble was a lot larger than all the others. That can only happen if the other holes stink.

My gut feel says the best a course can do is have a range of bubble sizes. I think this one looks pretty good, but I have nothing solid to back that up. Remind me to check at the end of the season...

At his time, all I would use this chart for is to influence the order in which I might tweak the holes. It says leave the big bubbles alone, but feel OK about messing with the ones to the lower left or with small bubbles.

Thanks for this information. I look forward to end of the season comparisons.

That's a stunning visual!

I will never get tired of watching Garrett Guthrie live coverage. He throws so far. We usually think of a guy like Eagle as one of the premier distance throwers, but GG outdrove him on almost every hole when they played the same card in round 2.

Dude's golf distance is on a different level. He is routinely jump putting when others are approaching. The field is very lucky that Gurthie's putt and approach game is only okay.

I will never get tired of watching Garrett Guthrie live coverage. He throws so far. We usually think of a guy like Eagle as one of the premier distance throwers, but GG outdrove him on almost every hole when they played the same card in round 2.

Dude's golf distance is on a different level. He is routinely jump putting when others are approaching. The field is very lucky that Gurthie's putt and approach game is only okay.

Yes, that 2nd round he would routinely out-drive everyone, only to have a not-so-great upshot resulting in the long putt too many times. Hoping that his touch game improves so we can see him crush on top card all year long.

Here is a graph of how the holes performed for FPO. Normally, there aren't enough players to do this, but this chart uses a new methodology.

The bigger the dot the more the hole contributed to the final sorting of players. The hollow dots mean the hole assorted the total scores (which is the opposite of what holes are supposed to do). The higher the position on the vertical axis, the better the holes allocated the scores they gave out. The farther to the right, the wider the scoring spread.

Note that while MPO and FPO both spanned about the same range of ratings, MPO crammed 101 players into that range while FPO only had 15 players to sort out. It should have been a lot easier for holes to sort FPO. Yet, it's evident that a lot of the holes are not nearly as suitable for FPO as the Gold tees were for MPO.

attachment.php

For example, see the Xray of Hole 3. Obviously, there are too many 3s. A more subtle effect is that it provides almost no extra challenge on top of the length. The average score at every rating (gray line in middle chart) is just about equal to the score expected of a flat wide open hole of this length (green dashed line). The only players who it does present a challenge to are the players rated about 915. For players below 915, the hole is actually easier than a wide open flat hole.

Even hole 16, which played a big part in sorting players, did so merely by giving out fewer 8s and more 3s to the better players. But, look at the tangle of all the scores from 4 to 7 with no apparent pattern. That's not helpful.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FPOSomeXray.jpg
    FPOSomeXray.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 148
  • JBOFPOLuck.png
    JBOFPOLuck.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 146