• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

$50.00 Backpack

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
This is the Dolfin Team swimming backpack. I got it for $30.00 online. These pictures are with me doing nothing but taking it out of the box and dropping discs in. It's still going to take a little work, but as you can see, right off the bat it's pretty serviceable. There are 20 discs in the main compartment. The front pocket only fits 1 putter. You can fit 4 more discs in the side or a long-sleeve shirt/light sweater. Still no good bottle holder though. There is a mesh bottle holder if you don't care about insulation.

Pros:
-Big, I can fit a total of 25 discs if I want to sacrifice some miscellaneous storage room. Or, I can fit 12 discs and 4 big cans of Yeungling.

-Bottom is rubberized and waterproof. The nylon itself is also waterproofed. It's built for the pool, so it's pretty weather-resistant. Along the zippers is the only thing I can really see that's not water-sealed.

- Rides up high. Straps have a sternum clip across the front. Cell phone holder built into the straps.

- Top flap easily folds underneath what is actually a laptop sleeve in the back of the bag.

Cons:
-Lack of padding. The back is technically padded, but doesn't have any external padding like we expect from our bags. The straps are also poorly padded.

-The nylon is tough and weather-proofed, but it's still not as heavy-duty as a Voodoo bag or the like. I'd say it's a slight step up from Fade nylon quality.

-No upper compartment. Most backpacks (Cabelas, Flak, Revo, Challenger) have an upper storage compartment. Some don't (Mahal, Grip, Prodiscus) but make up for it with big side pockets and other areas. This bag has some good storage, but it's a step down from other backpacks.

-Sturdiness. This is where most of my work will be done. The bag technically stands up on it's own. But there's no frame to speak of, so disc weights start to make the bottom sag and the back bulge a bit. I will be using thin, lightweight Plexiglas panels to fix this. And then I will be dropping in a U-Channel divider (perfect fit).

Maybes:
-Inside along the back (see pics) there are a couple small pouches and pencil holders. I'm not sure if they'll be a convenient place to keep stuff or a hindrance. One of my problems with pencil holders outside the bag are that the pencils always seem to find a way to fall out, and then they're gone. If they fall out here, I won't lose them. For now though, it seems like a nice place to keep pencils and a scorecard/mini clipboard.

-Loop hooks on the front. (see pic) There are two straps with clips on the front right above the "putter" pocket. It's designed to hold a rolled up towel for the pool. It can be used for that, or an umbrella, or a seat (much like the Mahal) but I'm not sure if they are placed where they'll just be in the way.

$30.00 for the bag, $10.00 for the Plexiglas, and $10 for the U-channel divider. That gives me a $50.00 backpack with minimal work and no PVC frame building. We'll see how it holds up, but it seems to be a solid companion to my smaller sling bag.

Attachments

• WP_001006.jpg
    WP_001006.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 813
  • WP_001007.jpg
    WP_001007.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 535
  • WP_001009.jpg
    WP_001009.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 477
Side pocket and back.

Attachments

• WP_001008.jpg
    WP_001008.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 181
  • WP_001010.jpg
    WP_001010.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 188
  • WP_001011.jpg
    WP_001011.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 169
Sorry, I bought it from Swimoutlet.com but it was the last one. You can get it for $30.00 at:

http://swimming.epicsports.com/prod/52928/dolfin-swimwear-team-back-pack.html

The shipping is a bit more there, though.

ALSO: The brand logos are a bit...unmanly. But they are just printed on the weather-proofed material. I'll be finding a way to remove them safetly without damaging the bag. I'll be sure to update when I do.

Last edited:
Definetly looks like it could be a winner. I'm getting stationed in Korea for a year this spring and I want a DG Backpackers to take with me...but the lack of storage might be a deal breaker for me on this one. Cant wait to see your progress on this one!

http://www.amazon.com/Nato-Style-Rucksack-LARGE-Olive/dp/B000YWDZWO

Just made a glow bag from one of these, I bought mine in black at a local Army Surplus. You can fit a 8"x13" PVC frame inside to support discs, I currently have 12 in there with tons of room to spare. With no frame, easily 20+ discs. Pretty lightweight and well padded. Pockets inside pockets. Plenty of loops to attach carabiners, too. I lined mine with 12' of UV ropelight, and use the frame to help expose the discs to the light. Probably less waterproof than the swim bag above, though that would be helped by Plastidip around the bottom. No "unmanly" logos, just sturdy unadorned, patch friendly canvas. The large heavy flap provides easy access without contant light pollution. Just another option out there.

Last edited:

Yes, it's the same thing. I tried like hell to find the overseas manufacturer for the bag because a couple swim companies use it. I was hoping to find a blank one for cheaper. But no luck.

Keifer Swimming also has a team bag that is modeled off this, but it is a CHEAP knockoff. So beware.

I put the Plexiglass frame in. It is a LOT sturdier. I also grabbed a 12x12 square of seat cushion foam to pad up the back a bit. It was like $1.50 at Walmart. It feels a lot better on the back, but I think the 1" thickness is too much. I'll probably cut it down to 1/2" thickness.

The U-channel divider should be here right after X-mas. That will be the final test for me on whether I keep this bag for tournament use.

Attachments

• WP_001014.jpg
    WP_001014.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 86
  • WP_001013.jpg
    WP_001013.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 74
  • WP_001015.jpg
    WP_001015.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 75
Any update? How does the U channel fit?

I'd love to tell you, but apparently it's taking longer to get to me than I anticipated.

I can say that I got some official specs on the bag material. It is 1680D Oxford Nylon. I'd never heard of the stuff, so I looked it up. Apparently it's popular overseas but not so much here. It's a pvc-coated polyester nylon that is waterproof and supposedly stain resistant. The coating also makes it less prone to wear and tear (allegedly). It's certainly not as tough as cordura or ballistic nylon, but I can see how it would shrug off small branches and snags. Not sure of it's ability against big trees or thorns, though. The 1680 denier gives it a nice, tight weave. It's also a much lighter fabric than the cordura.

Hopefully the divider gets to me today. It was shipped on the 21st.

So the U-channel divider got here today. The good news is that it does fit inside the bag. The bad news is that A) It's a bit narrow. There's space on either side once it's in. That's not TOO bad since you can just put discs in anyways. And B) it covers the pockets in the back. I can still put pencils in the holders, but using the pokets for a mini or scorecard is out of the question with the divider.

On the plus side, I can still fit 12 in the main compartment and have room for a mini cooler. If anything, this will be my drinking bag. :thmbup:

Attachments

• WP_001023.jpg
    WP_001023.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 78
  • WP_001024.jpg
    WP_001024.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 55
OK, last night was kind of a rush so I didn't have time to sit and write much. The verdict is, I like this bag. It has more than enough disc room for me. It has big side pockets. It's light. It's waterproof (mostly). I like the open-top format. It's basically a giant backpack-sized version of a Crunch Box, if you want a comparison you can wrap your head around. It's nothing that will blow your socks off with features but it gets the job done. And for $30, I won't complain. I'm not a hoarder when it comes to my bag extra anyways. Towel, powder, bug spray and I'm set.

Again, the not-so-goods are the straps are not built for a full day of hiking. They're built for a trip to the pool. The bag rides up high enough and light enough that it might not be too bothersome, but I have yet to play a full day with it. Lack of an insulated bottle holder, but that's pretty standard on all of our DIY experiments.

Bottom line is, I'll use it for bad weather days, drinking rounds, and hot days so I can keep extra water in the mini cooler. I'll probably still use my sling bag for normal tournament days because it's more comfortable and it forces me to disc down.

Latest posts