• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An appropriate Username...again :(

just a few months ago u sent me a msg encouraging me through my shoulder injury, even though you were a stranger your kind words helped. I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back out there on the course.

just a few months ago u sent me a msg encouraging me through my shoulder injury, even though you were a stranger your kind words helped. I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back out there on the course.

Thanks, man. I appreciate that. I'm in pretty good spirits, just a little bummed and sore. I'll get back. :)

That x-ray might as well be a bunch of squiggles and dots.... Maybe I should have taken anatomy in high school.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you are feeling better and healing up! I've also been on the mend so I can relate. Just take it day by day and try to rest up! Maybe this would be a good excuse to get a massage :)

That x-ray might as well be a bunch of squiggles and dots.... Maybe I should have taken anatomy in high school.

Maybe this will help. The purple outline is the top of the humeral head (arm bone). The orange circle is the shoulder socket formed by the cavicle and shoulder blade.

The purple outline is supposed to be inside the joint where the orange circle is. Instead, it's stuck up under my armpit.

This type of anterior dislocation typically includes a labrum tear, which generally precedes the arm coming out. That muscle tears, the tendons and ligaments stretch, and there's nothing to hold the arm in then.

Attachments

• 6-12-2015 9-30-28 AM.jpg
    6-12-2015 9-30-28 AM.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 38
Met with the Orthopedic surgeon this morning. He reviewed all the x-rays and seems to think I damaged the humeral head/top of my arm bone (dented and/or chipped) and that I'll likely require open surgery. MR anthrogram (MRI with dye) next week to confirm everything.

All in all, I'm basically pain-free at this point, even though my arm really doesn't work. Probably looking like surgery and months and months of rehab. Neat.

Small update...
Had my MRA yesterday. Second time I've done that on that ahoulder, and second verse NOT the same as the first. Because of how my hand/arm needed to be positioned, and as a result of the piercing of all the scar tissue with the contrast injections, my shoulder hurts more now than it did the day after dislocation. Yay!
Meeting with the surgeon Friday afternoon to review results. Then, possibly a second opinion.

Serious recommendation: Do not dislocate your shoulder seven times and also have a failed labrum repair. It's really better to avoid all of that.

I think one of the biggest sucks about this is that my fiance just got her new Shift bag, and my sister just got her new bag, so we were all excited to get out and play a bunch this summer. Oh well, I'll just have to walk the course and come back better next year.

broken shoulder said:
Serious recommendation: Do not dislocate your shoulder seven times and also have a failed labrum repair. It's really better to avoid all of that.

*jots down in note book*

"Do...not...permanent...ly....****....up....shoulder."

Right-o, got it. :)

Sorry, another quick update.
The pain I mentioned as a result of the MRA turns out not to really be a result of the injection. I just sneezed sitting on the couch and my shoulder moved back into place correctly. So whether it was how I was positioned on the table or a result of the fluid in the socket, somehow I rotated the humerus and it was stuck out of position. Basically, a sublaxation that got stuck and wasn't reduced.
I knew something was wrong, but man, this makes so much more sense now given my feeling of apprehension with this arm since yesterday morning. Christ on a bike the relief....

Shoot, and here I am fussing over a (hopefully) sprained thumb after a car wreck Tuesday. Here's wishing you a speedy and pain free recovery!

Quick update, if anyone cares. :)

I've been doing pre-surgery PT and had a CT scan done. CT showed about a 10% bone loss in the shoulder socket itself. Surgeon says there is a 5% chance he will need to graft bone from my hip to repair that. He won't know until he's in.

So, September 15th I'm going under the knife. Open (not arthroscopic) surgery to repair the labrum that is fully torn across the front. He'll also be cutting, moving, and reattaching the ligaments at the front of the shoulder. Bone graft unlikely, but possible.

This is a more complicated procedure because it's a revision of a previously failed Bankhart repair, but my surgeon is a leading shoulder and elbow expert that was our MLB team's ortho for years. He used to do all the arm surgeries on our pitchers, so I feel pretty confident in him.

He said I'll never throw overhand again, but disc golf is certainly a possibility. Absolute minimum of six months, but hey, he's giving me some hope anyway. Rehab is going to suck, but I'll amuse myself in the Landfill maybe.
:D