• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Android Users: What do you want in a DG App?

WillACarpenter

* Ace Member *
Years ago a buddy and I started a little side business working with computers, I was a hardware guy, he the software.

Life happened, we moved on, and big box companies started doing terrible, but cheap, PC repair. And he got a job in the industry again, so he didn't need the money.

Anyway he's got some guys together and they're working on some software, he is the guy that got me started playing DG (though he's just a part time hobbyist) and we've talked about the need for a DG specific Android App.

I'll be writing up the requirements and wishlist over the next few days so...let us know what you want!

\/\/

Well, the basic stuff is taken care of by golfscore. I use shot tracker to measure drives when I'm practicing. Droid caddie is pretty nice, if you wanted a gps gold app, tells you how far to certain places. But doesn't work that well for disc golf. It uses yards instead of feet. And most dg courses aren't open/big enough to get a usable google maps picture. I like the app for joes interactive fight chart, if only you could look at only your dotted discs, it'd be great....ill try to think of more later, but take a gander at those apps

Be linked to DGCR course info, obtain par from that, then give an easy interface to record a round using that data. Include the ability to edit your score if you fat finger something. Then give one click to update your scorebook with the completed round.

All I would like is for it to be able to easily add a course which it saves to a database and as I play I can add tee distances along with scores for multiple players. If I can take photos and have them automatically attach to the current hole being played (unless I choose not to) all the better. If it saves all my recorded rounds to a database and lets me see my typical scoring by course and hole that would be nice.

One thing you could add that would set it apart from the ball golf scoring apps is disc used to drive on each hole. Then after you have played 20 or 30 rounds you could check your typical scoring on each hole seperated by which disc you drove with. Often I am at holes that I could justify driving with a TL or a Roc (or many other combos) and often switch off round by round. Later on I wonder if one or the other is better/more consistent.

Be linked to DGCR course info, obtain par from that, then give an easy interface to record a round using that data. Include the ability to edit your score if you fat finger something. Then give one click to update your scorebook with the completed round.

Ditto

You might have seen my threads on this topic before. Easy Scorecard, Shot Tracker, Joe's Interactive Flight Chart, and Golf Scorecard are all good dg apps.

My favorite is Easy Scorecard. It has pretty much everything I need in a dg android app. The only thing missing is that it does not post scores directly to the scorebook on this site.

Easy Scorecard is a very good free app and would be a good one to base your new app on. Some bells and whistles that I would like to see added to it are:

Statistical analysis of the scores recorded
GPS funcionality (as mentioned above)
Linking to DGCR would be great, but from earlier threads that Tim posted in, it is probably too technically challenging to be worth it.

Personally, one of the best things I like about Easy Scorecard is the simplicity. If you add a lot of bells and whistles, I would suggest doing it in a manner that you do not impact the simplicity for those who just want an app to keep score.

Some sort of app that walks you through the "Technique Repair" section of DGR would be cool. It would make diagnosing some common issues on the course a lot easier.

1. a question section. where you send in a question and it sends it to people that have the app and they can send you back an answer through google chat or something..

2. something to measure shot distance

You guys talking about Easy Scorecard, makes me think I should give it a second chance. Soon after I got my Droid, and added Easy Scorecard, I went to play a course that had 19 holes, and didn't want to take the time to figure out how to make that work, so I said,m "m'eh" and haven't looked at it since.

There have been great updates to Easy Scorecard to make it more disc golf friendly. It's worth the second look. (some of these are only in the pay version, but it's only $1)

Custom number of holes is simple to setup now
start on any hole (automatically puts you at hole 1 after 18)
automatically email scores to everyone that plays (linked to phone contacts)
allows more than 4 players
track putts
shows throwing order based on previous hole scoring
custom scorecard
custom start time
manual handicapping
stableford scoring (customizable)

Was using Disc Caddy today out on the course just got a droid and one of the first things I searched for was any disc golf apps. So i was wondering if this app is in development or not. Would be cool to have the scores post to your scorecard on here.

I use Easy Score Card Pro and love it. One thing that would be rad is if we could get and app that combined the functionality of MyTracks and EasyScoreCard. Dropping waypoints where my shots land and then being able to look at them on an actually satellite map would be phenomenal! I'd drop some coin for that!

I am torn because I have a G2 which can do all sorts of fancy hoo-haw...and I have some of the aforementioned apps, but when I am out on a course, the last thing I wanna do is be monkeying around with my phone.

And it bugs me when half the group in front of me is sauntering along aimlessly working their daffy-a$$ phone keyboards (I call these folks texticles). If it's a crowded day that gets old...fast.

Ultimately...I would want a GPS/Voice interface that I could just say "Distance, Hole X" and a robo-gal like the one on google nav comes on and says "167 feet, use the Ion or Buzzz, you Jackwagon"
Or I could say "enter score, hole X, player X, PAR"

That would be truly useful but I realize it's asking alot.

I'd pay $ for that one...especially if gps database is user editable (to store your local course info)

Last edited:
Ultimately...I would want a GPS/Voice interface that I could just say "Distance, Hole X" and a robo-gal like the one on google nav comes on and says "167 feet, use the Ion or Buzzz, you Jackwagon"
Or I could say "enter score, hole X, player X, PAR"

This is what I'd like, too. My hands certainly don't stay pristine when I play golf so I don't want to be decorating my smartphone with dirt, water, mud, etc. So voice input would be best.

I'd like to keep the phone in a zip-lock bag, and at the end of each hole press a button (not mess with the touchscreen) then say, "Jim 5, Phil 2, Betty 3, Mike 3" and have it say "After 7 holes, Jim is plus 4, Phil is minus 3, Betty is par, and Mike is plus 1." This lets you know it heard you right, and gives you a quick confirmation of where everyone is. Would be much faster than pencil and paper. We probably need to wait another phone generation or so, though.

I think it would be nifty to have a set up like Easy Scorecard but be able to save courses on there. So if you play different courses regularly you can hit like a my favorites course and pull the par info and distances from that specific course.

Take Easy Scorecard Pro, add GPS (course location, hole location, and shot distance), add the ability to identify which disc(s) you threw on the hole (and track stats for said discs), add Joe's Flight Chart, and of course the ability to download all the statistics to a CSV and/or Excel format file.

Oh also it would be nice if it had a map of all disc golf courses (this could be interactive with google maps).

I know that's a lot to ask for, but I'd be willing to pay for said features.

easy scorecard pro is awesome, also has a way of adding penalty strokes for OB's. that app has pretty much everything i need. Just make a DGCR app so our lives can be complete

Latest posts