• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Wooden Disc I Made (Orc-like)

bobasaurus

Hello disc golf comrades. Here is another wooden disc I finished last week, a copy of a champion orc:

http://imgur.com/a/JUSC8

It was commissioned by a fellow disc golfer on reddit.com. I made it from African Padauk, recycled from an old table I purchased off craigslist, and finished it with tung oil and polyurethane. Everything went pretty well until the original disc exploded on the lathe during the last step. I had to completely re-do it, but I think the replacement came out well. I made the little stand as a bonus, and it works pretty well to hold the disc either front-facing or back-facing.

The disc weighs 131 grams, and can be thrown if it will have a delicate landing (i.e. no trees, rocks, baskets, etc), though it's mainly meant for display. I never threw it myself to avoid dinging it up before shipping it out.

If you want one of these, I'd be willing to make a few more, though it is a bit pricy (lots of work involved). PM me if interested. Thanks for taking a look :) .

I have my brands (from custom-made branding irons) on the bottom of the disc. I've considered laser etching or toner transfer or stenciling for the tops of the discs, but I really like the bare wood so I haven't done it yet.

That thing is AWESOME.

What's the glide like?

Last edited:
That is really really cool man. Looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it.

Nice! That was a good piece of padauk, too. I made several lap-joint boomerangs from it a long time ago...same troubles finishing it. Finally found that using a quick-dry lacquer as a sealer beneath a compatible urethane was the best way to handle it. I did some straight oil finishes, too, but those took forever to get looking decent because of the way it would seep and bleed from the pores as it attempted to cure. Oy. If you save the dust and shavings, it makes a pretty decent natural stain if you soak it in denatured alcohol. I've still got a bottle of it I made about 15 years ago...still has a nice deep color. Lightfastness is fairly good. Beautiful disc - glad the exploder didn't draw blood!

Nice! That was a good piece of padauk, too. I made several lap-joint boomerangs from it a long time ago...same troubles finishing it. Finally found that using a quick-dry lacquer as a sealer beneath a compatible urethane was the best way to handle it. I did some straight oil finishes, too, but those took forever to get looking decent because of the way it would seep and bleed from the pores as it attempted to cure. Oy. If you save the dust and shavings, it makes a pretty decent natural stain if you soak it in denatured alcohol. I've still got a bottle of it I made about 15 years ago...still has a nice deep color. Lightfastness is fairly good. Beautiful disc - glad the exploder didn't draw blood!

Yeah, I've finished padauk a few times and this problem sometimes rears its ugly head. A sealer coat is a good idea. Can polyurethane actually cure on a lacquer base coat? I was wondering about a shellac sealer as a possibility, too.

I have noticed the staining ability of the padauk dust, though I've never used it on purpose (only happens when I'm trying to finish a piece and the orange bleeds onto a different wood... ugh). Can you actually use it as a disc dye?

My previous discs were made out of honduras mahogany and walnut, and had no trouble finishing. But padauk is a beautiful wood, so it's worth it.

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of your boomerangs. I love seeing wooden items for some reason.

Latest posts