• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone just dye an entire discs to change the color?

KC plastic just doesn't take dye well, just like DX. There is supposedly some "super" dye out there that will dye JK/KC and DX, but I haven't seen it.

The guys from Marshall street were talking about it on the PDGA board, biut they wouldn't give specifics. They heard about it from Dave Mac. You may contact him

KC Pro discs do not take dye very well. My friend asked me if I could dye his white kc pro aviar black even after I told him it wouldnt turn out very well. It turned into a dark grey.

Aside from the discussion on dyeing KC and DX, I've dyed a few white Star, Champ, and Pro discs orange just because I like orange better / to make them easier to find in the snow.

RoomTenONine said:
Gotcha! Thanks. If anyone knows of teh super dye DGDAVE is referring to, please let me know.

I do not know of the dye, but I recommend using the same technique that I have used to gain every ounce of dye knowledge that I currently have-

EXPERIMENT!!!! You can't have everything handed to you in life, sometimes you gotta blaze your own trail.

I just dyed my KC pro aviar-x totally black yesterday, it came out really well, I just had to leave the disc in the dye for about 3 hours, and I kept heating it up and cooling it down about every hour. I used rit dye and it worked fine.

DSCF5487.jpg

DSCF5488.jpg

actually sorry it's JK pro. :(

ChUcK said:
I recommend using the same technique that I have used to gain every ounce of dye knowledge that I currently have-

... sometimes you gotta blaze ...
solid advice! :mrgreen:

i blazed a trail the other night -- i hot-stamped a disc, freehand.
i'll post my findings once i learn some more and try out more tools/approaches. for the time being, take comfort in the fact that there is a freehand-stamped disc in existence, and the knowledge will soon be shared :)

ChUcK said:
RoomTenONine said:
Gotcha! Thanks. If anyone knows of teh super dye DGDAVE is referring to, please let me know.

I do not know of the dye, but I recommend using the same technique that I have used to gain every ounce of dye knowledge that I currently have-

EXPERIMENT!!!! You can't have everything handed to you in life, sometimes you gotta blaze your own trail.

Oh man I totally agree. As a scientist I spend all day doing just that...blazing new trails. And on the weekends I can be found just blazing :shock: Buuuuuut, I also know the value in not reinventing the wheel so I thought I'd ask if anyone knew the dye. I've actually experimented a good bit with KC Pro since I posted this. I haven't locked on to anything super successful, but when I do I'll be sure to share.

Has anyone tried leather dye in a liquid form? If so, does it work and if so does it last? I saw some at a store when I was picking up Rit the other day. I may have to try it out.

cmlasley said:
Aside from the discussion on dyeing KC and DX, I've dyed a few white Star, Champ, and Pro discs orange just because I like orange better / to make them easier to find in the snow.

Total dyeing newbie here...

Im wanting to do this since I have a couple of nice white drivers that i am tired of seeing sitting on my shelf. Is there a "best" way to go about dyeing an entire disc top and bottom? Leaving it totally submerged in the dye doesnt seem like a very good idea since the disc will be sitting on the HOT bottom of the pot for 5-10 minutes. Dyeing the top and bottom seperately also seems problematic since the bottom will create a massive air bubble under it.

Also, does dyeing the disc in the hot water affect the shape or dome of the disc? Will the dye affect the feel/tackyness of the disc at all?

The video and written tutorials are great, im hoping to try some artistic dyes once I can get my hands on some vinyl, but for now I just want to get these white drivers coloured and in action.

Also the instructions in the RIT package says to use 2 cups water for 1 pkg Rit. But i think this is for dying shirts and stuff, do you use the same proportions for discs?

thanks

I used a casserole pan for dyeing. Heat the rit and water in a pot until the better part of the rit dissolves, poor it into the casserole dish, leaving the dregs with the undissolved rit, then just drop the disc in the pan. If you don't want to mess with heating, just throw the disc in a big ziplock bag full of dye. Let it soak overnight if you aren't going to use heat. The heat method is much faster and more even, in my experience.

Doing this did not change the dome or flight characteristics for me.

cmlasley said:
I used a casserole pan for dyeing. Heat the rit and water in a pot until the better part of the rit dissolves, poor it into the casserole dish, leaving the dregs with the undissolved rit, then just drop the disc in the pan. If you don't want to mess with heating, just throw the disc in a big ziplock bag full of dye. Let it soak overnight if you aren't going to use heat. The heat method is much faster and more even, in my experience.

Doing this did not change the dome or flight characteristics for me.

cool, i will try this tonight. How much Rit is necessary? thanks for the help

I just use the whole box, and poor it in a milk jug after it has cooled. You can use the Rit about 1000 times this way. Eventually, it starts to get grainy and you may have to add water and reheat it to dissolve the crystals again. I also have strained mine in the past to get out the crystals.