• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Are You Brand Loyal?

Are you brand loyal?

• I'm brand loyal. I just throw X and here's why:

Votes: 37 13.5%
  • I basically just have one brand in my bag, because it's what's available.

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • I primarily throw X, but I have bag spots with other brands.

Votes: 118 43.1%
  • No way I'm brand loyal! I find what works.

Votes: 109 39.8%
  • Wait... these plastic things are made by different companies?

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
I bag almost only trilogy discs. First, here in Europe they are way cheaper and more replaceable than US brands and second, when I was starting out, Ricky has just won Worlds with Lat64 so I stuck with them. The single other disc is an MVP Deflector.

I've lately only been bagging DGA/AGL discs mostly just to try new things. I know what discs (or rather what kinds) work for me and I can find them within all companies.

Flavor of the month I guess. I like supporting smaller or lesser known brands and trying something new.

I started with all Innova since they were the easiest to find and often the cheapest. However, I feel like Innova is one of the worst in terms of quality control, consistent stability within the same mold and plastic, stiff vs. soft, and dome vs. flat. I've been moving more towards Discraft and MVP/Axiom, but any brand is fine with me as long as it flies how I want.

I started with all Innova since they were the easiest to find and often the cheapest. However, I feel like Innova is one of the worst in terms of quality control, consistent stability within the same mold and plastic, stiff vs. soft, and dome vs. flat. I've been moving more towards Discraft and MVP/Axiom, but any brand is fine with me as long as it flies how I want.

Yep I agree, this is why some like Innova doing some parts the older way without any way to check parts like humidity are the reason the discs are not as consistent as they should be or used to be is due to now how many runs the brand does in a year of the full production molds is having parts of quality check missing. I noticed in late 2000's that the discs from Innova changed all over the place due to big sport growth outside of USA and production numbers from Innova increasing with each run. Some plastics though like G-Star just due to the makeup of the plastic run fairly consistent and most others Tend to be all over the place, Metal Flake Champion being another exception in constant flight, but not always in feel.

I still use Innova, a few molds namely the Valkyrie are still made more consistent then other molds of ones I use from Innova. The Shark in Star I use is the worst ever of molds people use in terms of consistency of feel on the plastic, no wonder the mold was stopped being run in that plastic. Sad since the Shark is one of the best in terms of consistent mold
from Innova lineup due to being a slow mold that not nearly as many people use. Slower the mold often the more consistent the disc is going to be if you do not factor in plastic type.

I have mostly Innova disc, but I wouldn't say I'm loyal at all.

I'd love to try out all brands and find the perfect disc for me. That could get costly!

Regardless, I'm paying for the disc, I'll throw what I like.

As XC_Eddy said--I do like certain molds. Has nothing to do with who made it though.

Yep I agree, this is why some like Innova doing some parts the older way without any way to check parts like humidity are the reason the discs are not as consistent as they should be or used to be is due to now how many runs the brand does in a year of the full production molds is having parts of quality check missing. I noticed in late 2000's that the discs from Innova changed all over the place due to big sport growth outside of USA and production numbers from Innova increasing with each run. Some plastics though like G-Star just due to the makeup of the plastic run fairly consistent and most others Tend to be all over the place, Metal Flake Champion being another exception in constant flight, but not always in feel.

I still use Innova, a few molds namely the Valkyrie are still made more consistent then other molds of ones I use from Innova. The Shark in Star I use is the worst ever of molds people use in terms of consistency of feel on the plastic, no wonder the mold was stopped being run in that plastic. Sad since the Shark is one of the best in terms of consistent mold
from Innova lineup due to being a slow mold that not nearly as many people use. Slower the mold often the more consistent the disc is going to be if you do not factor in plastic type.

Are you referring to the later production runs of Star Sharks? One of the very first discs I happened to stumble upon was a PFN Star Shark, which has become my go-to neutral mid-range disc. I've seen OTB and Marshall Street still selling some of the Star Sharks without flight numbers, so I'm hoping those are as nice as the one I have.

I started with Innova because they were the only thing available. I moved to all Discraft because I liked the stamps better and the fact they weren't readily available locally(unique factor I guess). Then moved to all Trilogy because I liked their online community presence. Slowly started adding in MVP because I liked the concept of their discs. Started following Simon and Eagle's channels so I started bagging their discs also. And finally started putting with wizards. So now my bag is super mixed.

I go in stages though. If I were to guess with the products I have ordered recently, I'll probably be primarily Discmania with Gateway wizards as putters shortly. Ever changing as my collection grows.

Are you referring to the later production runs of Star Sharks? One of the very first discs I happened to stumble upon was a PFN Star Shark, which has become my go-to neutral mid-range disc. I've seen OTB and Marshall Street still selling some of the Star Sharks without flight numbers, so I'm hoping those are as nice as the one I have.

Mine are without flight numbers, the Star Shark discs are all missing flight numbers as far as I can find online. G-Star is a bitt different then Star in plastic. I mean one in bag my had so much flashing about 1 cm of flashing the disc could not be used until I had to putt on a very windy day then the flashing got lost, then with the Star then another the disc was good but with an odd wax build up over time on disc that I have only see with Innova from Pro plastic or G-Star getting fingerprinty, yet another was okay with minor flashing but usable, and last the one was almost G-Star but missing some of the grip and put word Almost above the disc in Sharpie Xtreame and G- to the right of Star in Sharpie Xtrame again. The last one if I like the plastic when I decide to use it I will try an actual SG-Star disc at the right weight.

Yeah for me the Shark mold is my approach disc in both oop Pro and in Star due to disc being more OS at slower thrown speeds with the Star as the Pro is worn in a tad, with Star being the driving putter slot as the mold is more neutral but OS enough to fight wind. Also use both for windy day putter.

Brands I won't support? No.

Yes, Quest AT. They made garbage discs from day one, not to mention they had molds that changed rules as to what makes a disc PDGA approved. They only made in 2000's before they made only the clear Champion like plastic, the pole style display stand for selling discs that was worth the buy if you had a place tight on space for selling discs. The baskets both the all plastic one and the plastic with metal chains were crap baskets.

I have no loyalty to these discs or companies! Work right or be replaced!

Of course, I'm sure some of my discs are like...... this would be so much easier if there was less user error involved.

Kidding aside, I have discs from DD, Innova, Discraft, Prodigy, Gateway, Streamline, MVP, Kastaplast, Discmania and a couple of others that I use and really like. They all make really solid products. You just have to figure out which ones work for you.

Brands I won't support? No.

Yes, Quest AT. They made garbage discs from day one, not to mention they had molds that changed rules as to what makes a disc PDGA approved. They only made in 2000's the 10 Meter Brick that shatters in low 40's F in old plastic before they made only the clear Champion like plastic where the 10 meter Brick is floppier then an Areobie Dogobie catch disc. The pole style display stand for selling discs that was only thing worth the buy if you had a place tight on space for selling discs. The baskets both the all plastic one and the plastic with metal chains were crap baskets.

I Fixed my page to read better, I timed out before I could fix it again.

I wouldn't say I am one-brand loyal but I do have a very definitive ranking where I start my search when buying new discs. It also matters too about what type of disc...For instance, gateway would be my #2 putting manufacturer but I wouldn't ever consider them for anything more than putters.

For me MVP/Axiom, Discraft, Lat64 have my attention. I prefer MVP/Axiom because of the consistency I find. I use to have an all Innova bag with few molds but in various stages of wear. That was great but if I lost a disc, there was a clear hole in my bag that was tough to replace because I didn't play often enough for the next closest disc to 'wear in'. MVP seem to have more consistency to me.

My bag right now is a mix of MVP/Axiom/Streamline, Discraft, Lat64 but in reality I could take the fuse out without too much issue.

I throw only Discraft... I have only thrown Discraft for the last 5 years... Maybe because I'm autistic? I used to throw Prodigy, Innova, and some Vibram... Discraft is now all I use and plan on throwing...

I throw only Discraft... I have only thrown Discraft for the last 5 years... Maybe because I'm autistic? I used to throw Prodigy, Innova, and some Vibram... Discraft is now all I use and plan on throwing...

I am Asperger's and I use Discraft/single DGA, Innova, and one Lighting Disc mold #2 Upshot in Prostyle. I have not changed brands for 5 years as well when setting bag in late 2015. I basically dropped a few brands like Gateway with the G9I Approach Wizard, Wham-0 Untestable and dropped more Lighting discs due to the molds not working for me namely #2 Driver which over 169 grams will sink in water after 20 minutes and Rubber Putter due to not able to fight wind.

Just call me a homer

As many have said, unless they are paying me...
So I throw a mix bag.
But with two disc makers in my backyard, I've wanted to be a homeboy.
If we're being honest here, I did start throwing the Nova because of McBeast.
So I just might be coaxed into buying other Discraft discs.

Since posting this two years ago, I have become home state loyal, that is, I only throw Michigan made discs. So primarily Discraft and MVP, Axiom & Streamline AND all the stuff these guys press for other companies. Like DGA, Mint, Thought Space, Plastic Addicts, etc.

After playing in GBO in 2019, surrounded by all the Trilogy fanboys, it occurred to me to support my local disc manufacturers. I wanted to have pride in the discs I throw that made sense, to me anyway.

Occasionally I will throw a Vibram Ascent, just because it's OOP & I really like throwing it.

Nope. I'm not trying to get sponsored and tour the country playing disc golf, so I don't find any need to limit my bag to only one brand. Love finding the discs that fit my game and specific feel/grip needs here in the rainy pacific nw.

my first disc was discraft lost it immediately then grabbed innova and stuck with it just preference found a buzzz os that i used for a dog bowl for years then threw it a few times was nice but sold it

Latest posts