• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arm speed vs strength

Disc golf is not about how hard you can throw, its about how fast you can throw (Properly timed of course)

Other than timing/form, grip strength was my first limiting factor.

Guys can throw 2 finger or fan grips because they're gripping the disc with their palm in addition to their fingers.

Both. And timing. And form. And footwork. And grip. And angle of release. And follow through. And disc selection.

:wall: :wall: I'll never be good at this game.

Something a lot of people aren't getting- you can be skinny AND strong. On top of that what really matter is strength vs. weight.

Force=mass x acceleration so if you want your disc to go faster you need more acceleration(assuming your mass and swing stay the same) which means you need more force(strength/power.)

Good form AND strength= big D.

Here's a thought: if it's all technique and no strength then why don't most women throw as far as men? Strength is speed, even in what feels like an effortless motion. Just because there's no feeling of strain doesn't mean that nothing is happening.

It is hard to judge a person's back strength at a glance. I've seen a man built like skinny Will Schusterick pick up and carry a 180 pound roll of plastic at work.

I like to think of my throw as if it were a Rube Goldberg illustration, wherein my big toe(like a domino) sets off a chain of events that ends with the disc being jettisoned out of my hand(the domino could tap a bowling ball which sends it slowing rolling towards a tables edge, pausing ever so slightly... and then falling off, which sets off a mousetrap(my wrist/grip), which sends the 'cheese' flying...,etc) Ah, that Rube Goldberg. Cracks me up.

I'm no beefcake, but I can certainly tell when I'm trying to "over arm" my 170g Saint instead of letting the motion of my body and the mold of the disc do the work.

I guess instead of strength I should have used muscle memory. Bad choice of words. I have heard the people locally who throw the furtheest are the ones that play the courses with the longest holes, thus always trying to air it out and building the muscle memory to be able to throw further easier. Im guessing that people who throw far have either been playing for a while, mostly play long courses or have been involved in something (sport) where similar muscle memory has been easily transitioned to disc golf. I guess im wondering if there will be a time where I will feel like I have the technique down after throwing it differently than I already do, or will it just be something I gradually work up to? I somehow seem to think I will just have to work up to it.

I'm not sure what you're really asking, arm speed translates pretty well to disc speed and distance. Strength can potentially have an effect on your arm speed though. But if you're asking who will potentially throw the furthest, the person who's the strongest or the person with the highest arm speed, the answer is the person with the highest arm speed. So the real question should be "how do you maximize your arm speed?". I think the key is to work on flexibility and explosive strength. You don't need huge muscles, infact too much of it might hinder your flexibility and speed.

Technique is ofcourse the real key for most beginners, you have to throw alot in order to get the feel for how to time your body in order to maximize your arm speed at the right moment and moving that speed to the disc.

Guys, it's not that complicated. You need both to throw really far. You can have all the arm speed in the world and it won't matter if your grip is weak b/c at the hit you'll just slip early all the time and not transfer most of the energy you created with your body/form. A lot of you guys probably don't realize you have strong grips until you shake hands with a college boy like me. ;)

Guys, it's not that complicated. You need both to throw really far.

Evidently you do not need strength.

Ever check out Will Schusterick's 9" pythons?

20110814163440_fn809.jpg

That pic is like from 3 years ago. I've seen Will in person. He's skinny all right, but his form is textbook.

huge muscles...might hinder your flexibility and speed

Common misconception. Bulking up increases flexibility and speed. It's the "Huge" muscle types which are actually the quick-firing 'fast-twitch' muscles.

I believe that the muscle groups bodybuilders love to show off are mostly irrelevant to disc golf. As a quick example massive bulldog traps are great for shrugging hundreds of pounds but they're meaningless when you're playing with a 150 gram plastic toy.

Shoot, just look at Paige Pierce. Great mechanics= Great distance. I don't know what Paige's personal distance record is but didn't she just win a distance competition with a throw of 480'? I'm too embarrassed to say just how much over my farthest throw that is, but it's a lot, and I'm not 5'5" or 100 pounds...

I'm not super strong and I know my arm speed isn't that great.. I can get out there in the 400+ so I don't know how to answer your question lol. I'm tall and have long arms so maybe that helps me RHFH. As for BH I'm just learning that so my D isn't that great yet.

Latest posts