• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aussie Open - 2015 PDGA Major

Canada is not really considered International in the way PDGA has defined their tours, but North American (semantics) and associated with the U.S. tour.

I noticed they had run an NT event back in 2007, thought that the documentation might have been changed since then.

Frankly I don't see Canada hosting an NT event any time soon. If you look at the payouts their A-tier events are not as big as the NTs or many A-tiers in the USA.

Last edited:
I noticed they had run an NT event back in 2007, thought that the documentation might have been changed since then.

Frankly I don't see Canada hosting an NT event any time soon. If you look at the payouts their A-tier events are not as big as the NTs or many A-tiers in the USA.

Top Canadian events are all Eh-Tier.

Top Canadian events are all Eh-Tier.

Kudos on the joke (wish I had thought of that)

As a Canadian, there is a national obsession and are a bit sensitive about being lumped in with Americans (not because we don't like you) but because we are a SEPARATE nation and a separate culture. The PDGA really needs to update their documents and if Canada is considered part of the US or North American zone it should be specifically stated. As they are written now, the #2 disc golf nation is at a definitely disadvantage.

A major like the European Open seems much more feasible for the Great White North but I feel it is unlikely to happen. Seriously doubt we would see the Pro Worlds in Canada due to getting the sheer # of US players across the border. Just look at the number of Pros that don't make the trip to Japan or Europe

Last edited:
PDGA has been tracking Continental Rankings for a few years now with Canada in the North American Rankings (along with Mexico and Central America with no activity at the moment). There are currently no men and only one woman (last place) from Canada who qualify to be included in those rankings. Based on the number of PDGA members who played a rated round in 2014, Canada is currently 4th behind Finland and Sweden in 2nd and 3rd. Canada does have its own TD report separate from the U.S. and International versions. Former Exec Director, Brian Hoeniger (Canadian) is still the PDGA International Coordinator so Canada is well connected and coordinated from a tour standpoint.

Kudos on the joke (wish I had thought of that)

As a Canadian, there is a national obsession and are a bit sensitive about being lumped in with Americans (not because we don't like you) but because we are a SEPARATE nation and a separate culture. The PDGA really needs to update their documents and if Canada is considered part of the US or North American zone it should be specifically stated. As they are written now, the #2 disc golf nation is at a definitely disadvantage.

A major like the European Open seems much more feasible for the Great White North but I feel it is unlikely to happen. Seriously doubt we would see the Pro Worlds in Canada due to getting the sheer # of US players across the border. Just look at the number of Pros that don't make the trip to Japan or Europe

Based on the numbers Chuck cites and history in general, the question is whether Canada is at a "disadvantage" because the PDGA is actively preventing the existence of a Canadian major or it's Canada themselves that don't (yet) have the right combination of facilities and manpower to host such an event.

I think plenty of US players would flock across the border for a major in Canada. In fact, I think a Canadian hosted Worlds bid would get equal consideration against a US bid. The advantage Canada has over Europe, Japan, or Australia is that US citizens can drive to/from Canada. Most "touring" players and even a lot of non-touring players that do play majors do all their traveling by land. That's probably the single biggest obstacle to them traveling to Australia or Japan or Europe...they can't drive there or bunk down in the backseat to save lodging costs en route. Other than the extra once every ten years expense of getting proper documentation for border crossing, going to a Canadian tournament isn't any different than going to a US tournament.

... Seriously doubt we would see the Pro Worlds in Canada due to getting the sheer # of US players across the border. Just look at the number of Pros that don't make the trip to Japan or Europe

Toronto hosted the PDGA World Championships in 1987.

I am pretty sure Toronto is in Canada.

Toronto hosted the PDGA World Championships in 1987.
I am pretty sure Toronto is in Canada.

Toronto is North America's 3rd largest city (for NA I'm talking Canada & USA)
- it hosted PDGA World's in 1987
- it hosted an NT event in 2007
- these are the ONLY two large events Canada has ever held

As the 3rd largest in North America you think we would see more large events.

Toronto is North America's 3rd largest city (for NA I'm talking Canada & USA)
- it hosted PDGA World's in 1987
- it hosted an NT event in 2007
- these are the ONLY two large events Canada has ever held

Considering the two largest cities in US/Canada (NYC & LA) don't host events on that scale either, metro populations are probably a poor measuring stick in this conversation. I mean, the USDGC isn't in Rock Hill because of its bustling population base. It's there because that's where the event founder and director happen to reside.

Hosting NTs & Majors isn't about large populations, it's about having the right combo of courses and staffing in the host city/region. Toronto has the course(s) to host an A-tier every year. Theoretically at least, they could use those facilities to host an NT or Major. In fact, I'm pretty sure Toronto Island was involved in both the NT and Worlds held there previously. I imagine the reason they don't has more to do with the desires of the A-tier's staff than it does with PDGA decision-makers.

In fact, I'm pretty sure Toronto Island was involved in both the NT and Worlds held there previously. I imagine the reason they don't has more to do with the desires of the A-tier's staff than it does with PDGA decision-makers.

Not arguing your point (I agree with most of it) but don't think Toronto Island would be a good location for a Pro Worlds/very large event. The course acreage is small (very narrow island) and would not be a good location to have big galleries watching. Also everyone would need to park downtown, get to the harbour, take a boat ride and then walk to the course. Probably not feasible on a large scale. I would argue that Worlds has become much larger than it was a few years ago (circa 1980's)

However if you are in Toronto YOU HAVE to check out the Toronto Island course. There is a reason Val Doss(Jenkins) and Ken Climo rank it as one of their favourite courses. The rating on this site does not reflect how awesome the course is.

Southwestern Canada would potentially be the best site for a Major. Western U.S. players were starving for a western U.S. Worlds for a long time until Santa Cruz stepped up followed a few years later by Portland.

It's darn near impossible to run large events without a player base from which to draw volunteers.

I lived in TO (intersection of Bloor and Jarvis) from 1990-1993, and in Brampton from 1993-2001. If attendance at Centennial weeklies during those years is any indication, TO wasn't exactly swarming with disc golfers: double digit attendance was by far the exception rather than the rule. So it's not like there was a strong base of players to build on.

I'm sure the player base has grown since then, but it's telling that the average Open field in 2014 for tournaments in Ontario was < 10 players (and that's including 20 for the TO Island Open), which doesn't suggest the available player base would be sufficient to to pull off a large events.

However if you are in Toronto YOU HAVE to check out the Toronto Island course. There is a reason Val Doss(Jenkins) and Ken Climo rank it as one of their favourite courses. The rating on this site does not reflect how awesome the course is.

Meh. I'll take Bronte Creek and White Spruce over TO Island every day of the week.