• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back Straps alternatives and small bag hacks Thread

runningDoc

Double Eagle Member
I remember doing extensive DGCR + Google (and google image threads) and was so happy to see that you could actually put back straps onto smaller bags like the innova standard bag.

from there more DGCR/Google-fu searching also lead me to see that there are a lot of inexpensive alternatives to back straps. Like this method of using military spec gear suspender/straps - specifically the LC-1 straps found on eBay or army surplus stores

14625815940_3105570565_c.jpg

so here is a hack for shoulder straps that can be turned into backpack straps very easily:

I have two patagonia MLC bags that have these extremely light weight yet strong and very comfortable removable shoulder strap. The only thing is that the the patagonia MLC has built in handles and even backpack straps so the shoulder strap is actually superfluous.

I found out that you can easily use two shoulder straps with a carabiner clip to make very comfortable backpack straps:

14625985377_6b0061ff55_c.jpg

^ putting the clip through the small loops holds the straps together nicely and simply. from there just adjust the lengths on the straps accordingly for a good fit.

so here's my Prodigy Small disc golf bag (that holds 8-9 discs nicely) with the military LC-1 straps (from ebay for $11.49 with free shipping!) and my fade light crunch box bag with the hacked backpack straps:

14789522366_f438b23859_c.jpg

I love having backpack straps available even for my small bags because it makes it so much easier/ergonomic when walking miles on the DG courses compared to the single strap slung around one shoulder.

I used the backpack straps from my old ball golf bag. They are super padded and fit great. Was able to put them on my fade crunch without needing carabiners. So much nicer than the single strap pain.

I also used my ball golf harness . Didn't realize how comfy they are till I played a round yesterday with with a new bag that mi hadn't installed the harness on yet. It felt like the shoulder strap was going to cut into my shoulder. Carpenters/tool bag harnesses work well also. My wife likes her innova harness . I think they were around $25? Highly recommend back pack style harness. Helps with fatigue big time. Two nalgene water bottle in the mid summer heat adds quit a bit if weight to the bag.

Two nalgene water bottle in the mid summer heat adds quit a bit if weight to the bag.

Thats what I noticed even with the small 8-10 disc bags. When you've got a 24oz to 32oz filled bottle, 10 discs and other small stuff, it can get heavy and hard on the shoulder.

Even more so for a full crunch box bag.

Thats what I noticed even with the small 8-10 disc bags. When you've got a 24oz to 32oz filled bottle, 10 discs and other small stuff, it can get heavy and hard on the shoulder.

Even more so for a full crunch box bag.

I love my crunch box still
But I always felt kinda silly with quads on it, when it was my only bag.
But looking back now, it was way better than the single strap I have on it now.
But I also had it stuffed full then, and now the whole point of using my crunch, is going light with the minimum amount of discs.

Latest posts