• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Ballista

My inside info guy said they've been working on the blunderbuss. It's going to be sick, when you release it from your grip it splits into 6-8 minis. That way you can just walk up to your closest lie and throw from there. The only problem is it seems to be a one shot wonder disc, so you better stock up.

Don't toy with my emotions:thmbdown:

Yeah plus rimmed. Halo and Riot are the worst.

Axe or Lance sound pretty cool too.

Yeah they are both really slanted. The Riot has a rounded edge on the bottom of the rim also, but the Halo is more sharp edged.

The slant doesn't affect my backhand grip at all, actually release really clean. But FH they always slip out early and I can't get good power on them.

They really need to make a disc called the Trebuchet, just a solid brick of plastic that goes up, and crashes down hard, no turn or fade :thmbup:

This isn't going to be a production disc. Limited edition release for a big european tournament I can't remember which one. Not sure on the numbers in the release either. Probably at least 1000 and individually numbered.

I'm sure plenty will complain and moan that's stupid but it's a fundraiser disc and those same people are probably going to complain regardless about it's flight numbers, name, specs, etc.

Doesn't that mean it can't be PDGA approved? I thought approved discs must be available to the public for them to be legal for use in PDGA sanctioned events.

Doesn't that mean it can't be PDGA approved? I thought approved discs must be available to the public for them to be legal for use in PDGA sanctioned events.

Interesting. From the PDGA technical standards:

(14) be of a production-type disc available commercially to the public in numbers of at least 500;

So if what Steeze says is correct and these aren't commercially available to the public...

Yeah they are both really slanted. The Riot has a rounded edge on the bottom of the rim also, but the Halo is more sharp edged.

The slant doesn't affect my backhand grip at all, actually release really clean. But FH they always slip out early and I can't get good power on them.

I could forehand my opto halo like a mofo til it broke in... I never even realized it was a plus rim until a guy told me, about 2 years after bagging it.

Eff a trebuchet, make an ONAGER!

Interesting. From the PDGA technical standards:

So if what Steeze says is correct and these aren't commercially available to the public...

If they're being sold as a fundraiser, isn't that "commercially available to the public"?

This isn't going to be a production disc. Limited edition release for a big european tournament I can't remember which one. Not sure on the numbers in the release either. Probably at least 1000 and individually numbered.

I'm sure plenty will complain and moan that's stupid but it's a fundraiser disc and those same people are probably going to complain regardless about it's flight numbers, name, specs, etc.

I doubt that, they might say that now but they are in the business to make money. Create a new mold to sell 1000 discs? You can't make money doing that.

I'll wait to try the production version. :thmbup:

If they're being sold as a fundraiser, isn't that "commercially available to the public"?

I believe Steeze said that it was a limited edition made for a specific tournament in Europe. I think a pretty good argument could be made that even if it was available for sale at that one tournament, that's not really available to the public. Especially a tournament that takes place half way around the world from where 90 percent of the disc golf public lives. ( no clue on the number but I'm sure someone will bring in the real percentage of dg'ers in Merica vs Europe)
Of course I have no idea and by the technical standards posted earlier it looks good to me, over 500 made and also made available public(kinda).

I believe Steeze said that it was a limited edition made for a specific tournament in Europe. I think a pretty good argument could be made that even if it was available for sale at that one tournament, that's not really available to the public. Especially a tournament that takes place half way around the world from where 90 percent of the disc golf public lives. ( no clue on the number but I'm sure someone will bring in the real percentage of dg'ers in Merica vs Europe)
Of course I have no idea and by the technical standards posted earlier it looks good to me, over 500 made and also made available public(kinda).

He also called it a "fundraiser" which seems to me to indicate it's going to be available to anyone who wants to purchase it until supplies run out. This is hardly the first time a manufacturer has done this (Innova and the Champion Roc, anyone?). And if history is any indication, the Ballista, should it be a popular disc, will eventually be made as a regular production disc. I can't think of a fundraiser only disc that hasn't.

He also called it a "fundraiser" which seems to me to indicate it's going to be available to anyone who wants to purchase it until supplies run out. This is hardly the first time a manufacturer has done this (Innova and the Champion Roc, anyone?). And if history is any indication, the Ballista, should it be a popular disc, will eventually be made as a regular production disc. I can't think of a fundraiser only disc that hasn't.

I don't really think the champion roc relates to this at all. That is a limited edition plastic not a limited edition mold.

3000 limited edition run for the Scandanavian Open fundraising. They are PDGA approved and you only need to have 500 of a disc available to meet that requirement.

Believe it or not BirdieMachine but you won't see these in production. Not every company only cares for dollar signs. If they're the host sponsor they want to make a special limited funraiser. A once run mold in a new plastic never to be offered again will make them a big collector in years to come. I think it was also said these will be in snow plastic which is like a goldline version of the frost(gummy) plastic but I don't know if that's 100%. I'm sure it will be though.

fundraiser discs are not just sold at the tournament. A fundraiser disc is sold BEFORE the tournament to help fund the tournament. They will definitely be available to the public and most likely will need to be preordered from retailers. I'm not sure on that end. Usually the only fundraiser discs sold at the tournament are the leftovers. It's not the same as a player pack disc. It will meet all PDGA requirements and already does.

fundraiser discs are not just sold at the tournament. A fundraiser disc is sold BEFORE the tournament to help fund the tournament. They will definitely be available to the public and most likely will need to be preordered from retailers. I'm not sure on that end. Usually the only fundraiser discs sold at the tournament are the leftovers. It's not the same as a player pack disc. It will meet all PDGA requirements and already does.

Neat. Thanks for the detailed information.

I think SteezeOG has it right. And I wouldn't be surprised if Lat64 has the ability to make their own molds in house. Really all it requires is a lathe, and a mill or drill press... I could find the machines to make my own mold for 5-10k easily, or have a local shop make me one for less than 1k. So a limited run fundraiser won't be breaking the bank, if they even lose any money at all.

I think SteezeOG has it right. And I wouldn't be surprised if Lat64 has the ability to make their own molds in house. Really all it requires is a lathe, and a mill or drill press... I could find the machines to make my own mold for 5-10k easily, or have a local shop make me one for less than 1k. So a limited run fundraiser won't be breaking the bank, if they even lose any money at all.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have the ability right there to do the molds. If not right there then nearby and at cost. I can't remember the price I heard once quoted but I think it was around 10K to do a mold. That's why you want to get it right the first time and a true change to a disc mold is rare. Most often when someone says it's a new mold being used on an old disc it's not the case. Usually just a change in the cooling that leads to changes in runs. Time of year can have a big effect if the area that they cool after molding is not temperature controlled.

So I believe if they are saying it's not going to be done for a production run that it won't be. I don't know if it's a completely new design or it it's based off the missilen and just changed to change the flight to more understable or what. I don't even know if it's going to be a hex pattern disc I think I just heard that from someone a while back.

However it's done it's going to be a disc available to people if they want them. It's not going to be something unattainable or overpriced. It might be $20 or $25 bucks. 3000 is not a tiny run. It's not massive but it won't be sold out in a day either. I have no interest in it but I might pick one up just in case it's a huge success and people want to buy it from me for $75 in a couple years.