• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Looking for a Stable/Understable DD

Are you sure you're not rolling your wrist? 350' of power shouldn't be flipping a Trespass, and REALLY shouldn't be flipping a Wraith. I've thrown both molds extensively in a variety of weights and plastics. And my power level is pretty similar to yours. The only time I flipped a fresh Trespass or a Wraith like you're describing, is when I tried just all-out smashing on the disc and as a result started applying some serious Off-Axis Torque. And since I was throwing my slower discs under control, and thus not OATing them, then the logical conclusion was that it was the faster discs' fault. Of course it wasn't actually the discs' fault, and I found that out eventually.

On a related note, "throwing from hyzer" can actually lead to more OAT. The direction of the reachback tends to go more from back hip to front shoulder, rather than straight across, when throwing with hyzer. That motion, plus trying to smash a driver, can really easily lead to a monster wrist roll at release.

Not trying to be "that guy" on the internet that immediately jumps to OAT...but what you're describing sounds like the same OAT situation that I personally had to work through a couple years ago.

So I can't be 100% sure if I rolled my wrist or not. But I don't think I did. I've thrown all of them about 5-6 times each, so 20-24 throws total, and not a single time did they do anything except go severely right, or turn into a roller instantly. Some smooth throws, some hard throws, doesn't matter.

And no, I'm not getting ANY OAT. I know what OAT is, and have it sometimes on FH's, and at the very beginning when I first started playing, I'd get it sometimes on BH shots as well. But I that hasn't happened in a LONG time.

I even tried hyzer flipping them both on 45ish degree angles and same thing every time! Doesn't matter if I throw flat or hyzer, either way, it's an instant turn right and then into a roller. Or when thrown on an extreme hyzer, they still take off right, but just move slower right and eventually fade a tiny bit near the end. The Wraith I lost a few nights ago, just TOOK OFF and got up to around 30-40' of height and sailed deep into this wooded/weedy/swampy area that makes it next to impossible to find. I don't know if I'll ever get it back, no matter if all the weeds and bushes die this winter. It's a MESS in there and a literal disc graveyard, haha.

I've literally thrown over a 100 different molds so far in my playing time, and not a SINGLE ONE has ever done what these two discs are doing. I even had an Innova Krait when I first started playing, that was WAY too fast for me, and it never did this, even with my extremely poor form and strong arming them.

I guess I'm just going to chalk this up to weird disc inconsistency, and possible user error of some sort as well and move on. Thanks everyone for trying to help figure this out, it's SOO weird.

Definitely the Indian and not the arrow. Not ragging on you specifically but more often than not when people tell me they are turning similar discs over or they are throwing unintentional rollers it really comes down to their form and technique more than the disc itself. If top level guys can throw putters and mids 450' without flipping them over and the average Joe is crashing a neutral speed twelve disc it's probably not a disc issue.

Latest posts